PDA

View Full Version : ? About Knit Picks

cheley
04-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi everyone and Happy Easter:hug: Since (Knit Picks) are not open today (yea I know it's Easter but I am looking thru my catalogue) I am in search of a size 13- 24" or 32" circ in Harmony Wood...I do not see these "larger" sizes listed..Do they carry em?:heart:

imrachel
04-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Yup-- go here: http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Harmony+Wood+Circular+Knit ting+Needle+Tips_NDKPNDETipWD.html

and you get the 13" tips at the bottom of the page, and then in the box it says cables with various lengths, and you click on that.

:happydance:

cheley
04-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Yup-- go here: http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Harmony+Wood+Circular+Knit ting+Needle+Tips_NDKPNDETipWD.html

and you get the 13" tips at the bottom of the page, and then in the box it says cables with various lengths, and you click on that.

:happydance: Umm, am I reading this wrong???:aww: I am looking for "fixed" circs not interchangeable?? I do not own interchangeable set(s),Let me know thank you

Lucy78green
04-12-2009, 09:22 AM
think from their website (http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Harmony+Wood+Fixed+Circular+Knitting+Needl es_NDKPFixedCabWD.html) the longer length fixed circs only go up to size 3

ArtLady1981
04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
SIZE 13 HARMONY TIPS (http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Harmony+Wood+Circular+Knit ting+Needle+Tips_NDKPNDETipWD.html) ($8.99)

SIZE 13 NICKEL-PLATED TIPS (http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Nickel+Plated+Circular+Kni tting+Needle+Tips_NDKPNDLETIP.html) ($7.99)

24" CABLES (http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Circular+Knitting+Needle+C ables_NDKPCables.html) ($3.99 for a set of 2)

So, this is how you can get the size 13 circular needles from KnitPicks.

Total cost for US13 Harmony tips plus cables: $12.98
Total cost for US13 Nickel-plated tips plus cables: $11.98

Still undercuts ADDI fixed circs by about $10!

They are working on getting larger sizes of fixed circs I think, but the interchangeables are the WAVE of the future, and so I don't think they are working real hard and fast at extending the line of fixed circs in the 24" length and up.

The itty bitty 16" fixed circs go up to a 7mm, with 8mm due the end of April.

cheley
04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
SIZE 13 HARMONY TIPS (http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Harmony+Wood+Circular+Knit ting+Needle+Tips_NDKPNDETipWD.html) ($8.99)

SIZE 13 NICKEL-PLATED TIPS (http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Nickel+Plated+Circular+Kni tting+Needle+Tips_NDKPNDLETIP.html) ($7.99)

24" CABLES (http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Circular+Knitting+Needle+C ables_NDKPCables.html) ($3.99 for a set of 2)

So, this is how you can get the size 13 circular needles from KnitPicks.

Total cost for US13 Harmony tips plus cables: $12.98
Total cost for US13 Nickel-plated tips plus cables: $11.98

Still undercuts ADDI fixed circs by about $10!

They are working on getting larger sizes of fixed circs I think, but the interchangeables are the WAVE of the future, and so I don't think they are working real hard and fast at extending the line of fixed circs in the 24" length and up.

The itty bitty 16" fixed circs go up to a 7mm, with 8mm due the end of April. Call me "old fashioned" but I don't think I would be comfortable screwing and un-screwing cables onto a needle:aww: I have a few addi's I love the sleekness and the cable but it's not as "pointy" as I like..I have a small Harmony and I love it...the pointy tip, the nice cable etc etc...What a shame Why can't they make em bigger...sometimes I just like the feel of "wood":drool: he he!!!

suzeeq
04-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Interchangeables are more versatile and the joins are smooth, so there's no problem with the yarn catching.

Jan in CA
04-12-2009, 11:46 AM
If you want them from Knitpicks then you have to get the screw on, interchangeable ones. Maybe it's time to move on to modern needles. :lol: If you just can't bear the thought of them you'll have to find another brand.

cheley
04-12-2009, 02:53 PM
If you want them from Knitpicks then you have to get the screw on, interchangeable ones. Maybe it's time to move on to modern needles. :lol: If you just can't bear the thought of them you'll have to find another brand. I do have "OTHER" Brands...I like Harmony Wood

ArtLady1981
04-12-2009, 02:53 PM
OK, here's a bonus for using interchangeables:

When you're on the last row of something, and it's time to cast off: Keeping your live stitches on the left hand gauge needle, change the right hand needle to one size larger, or maybe even two sizes larger.

This makes a better bind off. No chance of being too tight or uneven. It's really a slick technique. Especially for those patterns that say bind off loosely. If I was knitting with a US8, I've been know to go up to a US10.5 for the bind off loosely. But all I had to do was change the needle tip on the right hand side.

Another bonus: if you are not supposed to bind off, but put the live stitches on a holder, or waste yarn...you don't have to do anything...just unscrew the needle tips, and screw on the 'end caps'. You can even wash (for blocking) the pieces with the cord in the live stitches.

I have lots of extra cables for this very reason. I leave cords in the live work til I get back to them. :wink:

KnitPicks have no 'catchiness' at the join. And really, trust me, the attaching of the needle tips is as easy as screwing the lid back onto the honey jar.

Jan in CA
04-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I do have "OTHER" Brands...I like Harmony Wood

I responding to your saying that you didn't want to screw them on. You CAN get the 17's in Harmony wood. You just have to screw them on. As long as you use the locking pin they work just like classic circs. :thumbsup:

http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Harmony+Wood+Circular+Knit ting+Needle+Tips_NDKPNDETipWD.html

imrachel
04-12-2009, 06:46 PM
And really, trust me, the attaching of the needle tips is as easy as screwing the lid back onto the honey jar.

I think easier:)

cheley
04-12-2009, 07:14 PM
OK, here's a bonus for using interchangeables:

When you're on the last row of something, and it's time to cast off: Keeping your live stitches on the left hand gauge needle, change the right hand needle to one size larger, or maybe even two sizes larger.

This makes a better bind off. No chance of being too tight or uneven. It's really a slick technique. Especially for those patterns that say bind off loosely. If I was knitting with a US8, I've been know to go up to a US10.5 for the bind off loosely. But all I had to do was change the needle tip on the right hand side.

Another bonus: if you are not supposed to bind off, but put the live stitches on a holder, or waste yarn...you don't have to do anything...just unscrew the needle tips, and screw on the 'end caps'. You can even wash (for blocking) the pieces with the cord in the live stitches.

I have lots of extra cables for this very reason. I leave cords in the live work til I get back to them. :wink:

KnitPicks have no 'catchiness' at the join. And really, trust me, the attaching of the needle tips is as easy as screwing the lid back onto the honey jar. Yea, that's my point "catchiness"...I would hate to invest "more" $$$$$ for "more" needles (umm like I don't have enough already) and not like them....although I do have different finishes for obviously different yarns....If I could stick my bamboo ones in the pencil sharpener and get em pointy, I wouldn't be asking so many dumb questions:aww: or file down my addi circs..:hug:

Shandeh
04-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Call me "old fashioned" but I don't think I would be comfortable screwing and un-screwing cables onto a needle
I'm with you, cheley. I don't like interchangables. I prefer fixed circulars, because of my arthritis. It hurts my hands to twist ANYTHING. I wish KnitPicks made longer fixed circulars too! :pout:

outdoordrea
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I have the Interchangeable Harmony Wood needle set and I *love* it! I've never had any of the cables catch on any of the yarn I've used (from acrylic to wool to cotton). I've made socks, bags, hats, scarves, and sweaters on them and never a problem. Plus, KnitPicks Customer Service is excellent. If you hate the needles, send them back.

ArtLady1981
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I've never had 'catches' on any of my KP interchangeables, neither on the metals or the wood.

Did I say I won 11 pairs of VINTAGE Boye circs off an Ebay auction last week? All metal except for one pair of white vinyls.
Oh, they are all just wonderful! And I needed the US13's for the collar of my Sylvi that very night!

I can't use KP OPTIONS or HARMONY'S with certain single ply yarns that split easily. I don't have ADDI 13's...and my Crystal Palace 13's are 32" length. A bit long for a collar.

Yipee! I used my new VINTAGE Boye 13's! They're a dream!
Paid $29 plus $5 shipping for the LOT of 11 sets.
That amounts to $3 a pair!
Had all kinds of sizes in the lot.

I like VINTAGE Boye better than VINTAGE Susan Bates.
And the cable, while a bit kinky right out of the box, worked real well. Didn't even need to soak it in hot water! :happydance:

EBAY shops are always selling off "LOTS" of vintage circular needles. Either some old ladies are dying and these Ebayers are grabbing them up at estate sales, or, other knitters are dumping them into the Second Hand Stores because they are moving up to KnitPicks or Addis.

I don't dump any needles anywhere. I even kept my VINTAGE Boye straights. They sit in their own fabric needle case in a place of HONOR on my wicker yarn trunk. They served me well. They are enjoying their retirement.

But, when I die, I'll bet my girls will be tossing all my knitting needles into a Second Hand Store. They don't knit and don't appreciaate what I've invested into needles etc...and they're too busy to take the time to sell them on Ebay.

Some lucky girl that's only a baby now will prolly scoop up all my stuff! More power to her!

cheley
04-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I've never had 'catches' on any of my KP interchangeables, neither on the metals or the wood.

Did I say I won 11 pairs of VINTAGE Boye circs off an Ebay auction last week? All metal except for one pair of white vinyls.
Oh, they are all just wonderful! And I needed the US13's for the collar of my Sylvi that very night!

I can't use KP OPTIONS or HARMONY'S with certain single ply yarns that split easily. I don't have ADDI 13's...and my Crystal Palace 13's are 32" length. A bit long for a collar.

Yipee! I used my new VINTAGE Boye 13's! They're a dream!
Paid $29 plus $5 shipping for the LOT of 11 sets.
That amounts to $3 a pair!
Had all kinds of sizes in the lot.

I like VINTAGE Boye better than VINTAGE Susan Bates.
And the cable, while a bit kinky right out of the box, worked real well. Didn't even need to soak it in hot water! :happydance:

EBAY shops are always selling off "LOTS" of vintage circular needles. Either some old ladies are dying and these Ebayers are grabbing them up at estate sales, or, other knitters are dumping them into the Second Hand Stores because they are moving up to KnitPicks or Addis.

I don't dump any needles anywhere. I even kept my VINTAGE Boye straights. They sit in their own fabric needle case in a place of HONOR on my wicker yarn trunk. They served me well. They are enjoying their retirement.

But, when I die, I'll bet my girls will be tossing all my knitting needles into a Second Hand Store. They don't knit and don't appreciaate what I've invested into needles etc...and they're too busy to take the time to sell them on Ebay.

Some lucky girl that's only a baby now will prolly scoop up all my stuff! More power to her! All (except for my addi and Harmony) are "vintage".. I inherited quite the "lot" from my dear sweet Knit/Crochet Teacher..(in her memory I will never give them up) I have about 4 or 5 white plastic circs among my alums and plastic... (love em) I even have 14" plastic dpns!!!! Also, size 0 metal dpns, which she told me that many many years ago that's how they knit socks (she passed at age 93) I even have an "orignal" broomstick lace needlecloud9 not to mention the crochet hooks..one is porcelain..I just stare at those and I am just in cloud9 thinking what those needles made 60 or 80 years ago:hug:You know what's really cool...I have a set of 4 Susan Bates "luxite" US 13-10" dpns in original package priced at $2.75..I am gonna take pics tomorrow of all my needles and post a pic....

suzeeq
04-12-2009, 11:36 PM
And the cable, while a bit kinky right out of the box, worked real well. Didn't even need to soak it in hot water!

That's the good thing about the older needles, they straightened right out once you started knitting with them.

Jan in CA
04-13-2009, 12:13 AM
I've never had any catchiness on my Options thank goodness. What I did was buy a set of tips and cables to see how I liked them. I did so I bought the set.

The main thing I didn't like about Boye was the cable, but there are obviously people who love them anyway. :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
04-13-2009, 12:14 AM
All (except for my addi and Harmony) are "vintage".. I inherited quite the "lot" from my dear sweet Knit/Crochet Teacher..(in her memory I will never give them up) I have about 4 or 5 white plastic circs among my alums and plastic... (love em) I even have 14" plastic dpns!!!! Also, size 0 metal dpns, which she told me that many many years ago that's how they knit socks (she passed at age 93) I even have an "orignal" broomstick lace needlecloud9 not to mention the crochet hooks..one is porcelain..I just stare at those and I am just in cloud9 thinking what those needles made 60 or 80 years ago:hug:You know what's really cool...I have a set of 4 Susan Bates "luxite" US 13-10" dpns in original package priced at $2.75..I am gonna take pics tomorrow of all my needles and post a pic....

Can hardly wait to see them! Would love to see the SB Luxite dpns! WOW.

Yeah, I get all sentimental when I take my old straights out of their cloth case. A girl on EBAY sells needle cases for real cheap, but she does a really great job, too! Some cases for straights only, some for circs only, some for dpn's only, and some are COMBO cases. They'll hold a little of this and a little of that. If anyone wants her EBAY shop name, let me know. I'm sure she's still sewing! All of her fabrics are different. I bought all my cases in TOILE for the circs and dpn's. Different colors of TOILE. Then my straights are in a completely diff fabric.

My EBAY circs had all the original old packaging! Sigh. With price tags and stickers! A set of BOYE circs for $1.25? Shees. I kept all the vintage packaging, too!

Anarfea
04-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Call me "old fashioned" but I don't think I would be comfortable screwing and un-screwing cables onto a needle:aww: I have a few addi's I love the sleekness and the cable but it's not as "pointy" as I like..I have a small Harmony and I love it...the pointy tip, the nice cable etc etc...What a shame Why can't they make em bigger...sometimes I just like the feel of "wood":drool: he he!!!

Really if you like the wood just take the jump and by the interchangables. Screwing the tips on is the easiest thing in the world, espescially with the tightening key they put in the package. And look at it this way, if you absolutely cannot bear the thought of taking your tips on and off, you can buy a cable to go with each tip and screw it on once and leave it that way forever. As Art Lady points out, it's still cheeper than Addi Turbos and pointier to boot! But I promise you, once you realize how easy it is to take the tips on and off you will start to appreciate the money that can be saved on interchangables.

margz3
04-13-2009, 10:12 AM
This thread is killing me, because I SO want a set of KP's interchangeables!! I hate how the cable of my circs are so stiff - even after soaking them in hot water, they curl back up again. One of these days I'll get 'em!

cheley
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
O.K. here's what I got.....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3577/3438628452_df3597d47a.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3594/3438628580_293eeb54e9.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3308/3438689926_e025338c7f_m.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3305/3437817049_772acc367a.jpg
Actually just a portion:hug: couldn't fit all the circs in there!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3363/3437878161_4e1d8fb093.jpg

Jan in CA
04-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Holy crap you have a lot of needles! :noway: I don't even own and straight anymore except for DPNs!

cheley
04-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Holy crap you have a lot of needles! :noway: I don't even own and straight anymore except for DPNs! Take a look just added a few more!!! Now do ya understand my "needles" dilemma??? Yep, I was blessedcloud9

cindycactus
04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I gave up straight needles (except for my dpns) when I bought my first set of Boyle Interchangeable needles more than 29 years ago. I just passed that set on to my DD a couple months ago because I bought the Knit Picks Interchangeable nickle plated set and just was not using the old set any more. DD is thrilled to get my "vintage" set. I think if you give them a try you will love the interchangeable Harmony set. :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

Shandeh
04-13-2009, 02:39 PM
......Screwing the tips on is the easiest thing in the world, espescially with the tightening key they put in the package......
I wish they were easy for me, but alas they are not. :pout:
I've tried every interchangable I've come across, and they all hurt my poor arthritic hands and wrists when I try to put them together. :verysad:

Now, when I was younger, I would have loved them. :heart:

Cheley, it looks like you and I have exactly the same set of needles! I have some of those "luxite" needles too, and adore them! cloud9

Plantgoddess+
04-13-2009, 07:31 PM
I also have some Susan Bates luxite dpn's in the original cylinder size 1 with a $1 price sticker on it. I use them when I fly so I don't have metal needles in use on the plane.
It's hard to believe so much of what I grew up using is now reaching collectible age. My electric curlers are 40 years old and my blow dryer is about 35 years old. Sears stuff lasts.

cresmoon
04-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Speaking of needles, how long has Boye been making bamboo straights and circulars? I stopped by Walmart today to run some errands and went by their yarn section and noticed a very small selection of Boye's bamboo needles! Are they brand new or have I just been living under a rock and never noticed?

ETA: margz, you could do what I'm going to do: add the KP needles to your birthday or holiday list and tell your loved ones that's what you want. Most years my parents get me something I have absolutely no use for and either I end up returning it or never using it, like the bag they gave me last year which I've used twice since then. Instead I'm going to let them know about the KP needles if they ask so at least it won't be something I drag out of my closet when I remember I have it.

suzeeq
04-13-2009, 11:45 PM
They've been out less than a year, I'd say maybe since fall.

Anarfea
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
ETA: margz, you could do what I'm going to do: add the KP needles to your birthday or holiday list and tell your loved ones that's what you want. Most years my parents get me something I have absolutely no use for and either I end up returning it or never using it, like the bag they gave me last year which I've used twice since then. Instead I'm going to let them know about the KP needles if they ask so at least it won't be something I drag out of my closet when I remember I have it.

Oh totally. I've been dropping all kinds of hints to my boyfriend (okay so maybe I actually told him outright) that a knit picks set is what I want for Christmas/Birthday. (So far I've decided to just buy tips and cables seperately in the sizes I need). But man I also want the set of the new 6 inch dpns!! Winter means glove knitting!

Ijustwantacraft
04-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I am a new knitter and have crocheted for years and reading knitting help has be a wealth of information to me. I have fallen in love with the knit pick harmony wood circular interchangeable s, and am asking for them for my happybirthdaytome next month, my reasons are so that I won't have to buy so many needles in straights, I have tried dpn to do a round project and its just crazy to me all the needles flopping around. I do like the bamboo. Seems in knitting you need alot more things to do a project than in crochet all I need is X size hook.
So part of my decision to get a set is based on getting all I will mostly ever need in one set, and you get what you pay for in quality. My question is this: How are the cables on these are they flexable, plyiable
easy to deal with. How are they compared to other nice sets? I did try a pair of circular bamboo and then went and put them in boiling water but they still were unruley and just want to flop around and such, I just went back to my research on finding a good pair a set of needles. Also I can straight knit on the circulars and how bout that magic loop thing how are knitpicks cables for that, but I probably won't need to do it much because I will have most all the cables.
If I do get the set, should I but one extra cable? what size should that be?
Thanks again for all the information on this forum its the little thing one needs to know, that can only be found out from experienced knitters here.

suzeeq
04-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Everyone seems to agree that knitpicks needles have the best cords. They're flexible, not stiff, good to work ML with.

cresmoon
04-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Here's a good thread to read where we had a nice free-for-all discussion on needles and answered some of your questions:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90121

Jan in CA
04-18-2009, 01:55 PM
My question is this: How are the cables on these are they flexable, plyiable
easy to deal with. How are they compared to other nice sets?

They are awesome! Very flexible and never stay curled up. I curl them to put them in the zippy pocket, but when I pull one out it straightens immediately. I love them!

They compare favorably with Addi Turbos, but are much, much less expensive. The Boye cable is awful IMO, but some people have learned to deal with it.