PDA

View Full Version : Translate Pattern Please,+ story of generous lady

PHOENIXMOON
04-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey all,
I have finished a project (almost) and time for a new one. Some wonderful lady let me have a bag of knitting needles (the sizes I would need for the pattern I was previously planning) and a brand new (unused) ball of sirdar double knit for free. In this bag, I found later was a paper pattern for gloves and hats (including finger gloves, fingerless gloves, mitts, and fingerless gloves with mitt top). :woohoo:

Anyway, I have found a design/pattern I want. The fingerless gloves with mitt part.
The pattern is 'Sirdar Country Style/Wash 'n' Wear Double Knit 5840'.

Can someone please translate it (or find a previously translated pattern off ravelry) from knittish to simple speak english for me? (as in 'co13, p13' =cast on 13 stitches, purl 13 stitches).

I have about an hour on my other project and I will have no project to complete with me!
~*Phoenix Moon*~

doc4dolls
04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I will let you know if I find it. Hopefully it is a free pattern. Doc

suzeeq
04-12-2009, 11:32 AM
You could look up the terms on the Glossary page. You obviously know that CO = cast on, k = knit and p = purl, so you could do your own 'translation'.

PHOENIXMOON
04-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Hey all,
Thanks Doc!
Suzeeq- I generally do try and translate it myself. I was in a rush yesterday and didnt really have time to give it a go before I posted it.

Anyway -a quick query. Is '2x2 rib' a 'knit 2 purl 2 [repeat as necess]'?

~*Phoenix*~

HollyP
04-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes, a 2x2 rib is k2p2

doc4dolls
04-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Hey all,
Thanks Doc!
Suzeeq- I generally do try and translate it myself. I was in a rush yesterday and didnt really have time to give it a go before I posted it.

Anyway -a quick query. Is '2x2 rib' a 'knit 2 purl 2 [repeat as necess]'?

~*Phoenix*~
Your welcome. When I did a search on ravelry all I found was this:

http://www.nakedsheep.com/comiandhatkn.html

PHOENIXMOON
04-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey all,
Thankyou Holly!
Doc4dolls -I had a quick look on that link and I couldnt see it, which leaves me confused. I must need new batteries in my glasses!!!

I have progressed on my quest to translate said pattern. I have a couple of queries though.
The pattern gives this for a stitch called m1, and it has stumped me.
'M1 -pick up loop between last and next stitch and work into the back of this loop'. Does it mean a previous stitch, a wrap around or use the stitch that you have just done? Or something completely different? Links, videos and written explanations etc all welcome!

The pattern says 'work without shaping for 3 rows'. Does this mean row 1-knit, row 2 -purl, row 3 -knit, or continue with the previous row, or just knit for 3 rows, or just purl for 3 rows or rib?

The pattern says 'work 2:2:4 for 2 rows'. What does this mean? 2 stitches knit, 2 purl, 4 knit? The stitch total for this section of the pattern is 17 stitches.

Many thanks,
~*Phoenix*~

MMario
04-14-2009, 04:15 PM
'M1 -pick up loop between last and next stitch and work into the back of this loop'. Does it mean a previous stitch, a wrap around or use the stitch that you have just done? Or something completely different? Links, videos and written explanations etc all welcome!

The pattern says 'work without shaping for 3 rows'. Does this mean row 1-knit, row 2 -purl, row 3 -knit, or continue with the previous row, or just knit for 3 rows, or just purl for 3 rows or rib?s,
~*Phoenix*~

I can't help you with #3 but re:
#1 - if you spread your needles a bit you will see a bar going across the knitting between the stitches on your right needle and your left needle. Use the tip of your left needle to lift that bar up forming a loop. Knit into the back of that loop to make your increase.

#2 - work however you have been with no increases or decreases - so if you are ribbing, rib for three more rows, if you are doing garter continue the garter for 3 more rows, if you are working in stocking stitch, continue that for three more rows.

Jan in CA
04-14-2009, 05:29 PM
M1 is an increase. If you go to the video tab there is a video of it.

doc4dolls
04-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Sorry about that. I'll see if I can find it not on Ravelry.

M1 means make one by picking up the loop between the right hand needle and the left hand needle. This is an increase.
see mmario explanation it is very good.

The pattern says 'work 2:2:4 for 2 rows'. What does this mean? 2 stitches knit, 2 purl, 4 knit? The stitch total for this section of the pattern is 17 stitches.
This is confusing! if you did 2k, 2p, 4k you would have 16 stitches not 17. Is there any other instructions with this? :hair:

doc4dolls
04-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Sorry when I do a search the pattern isn't free.:gah:

PHOENIXMOON
04-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey all,
I have solved number three (I was a bit fast asleep when I translated it!). For others, it is the number of stitches for the size.

Thankyou for those who helped/tried: MMario, Doc4dolls, and Jan in CA. M1 is now a code I understand. Number 2 is solved.

Could someone simply explain (as in what happens on row 1, row 2 etc) what garter, and stocking stitch is? I know they are combinations of full rows of knit and purl, but which way round are they for their respective stitch?
Thanks all,
~*Phoenix*~

suzeeq
04-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Garter is knit all stitches on all rows; stocking st is knit 1 row, purl 1 row. The Basic Stitches can be found on the Tips page.

PHOENIXMOON
04-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey all,
Just a little problem with one of the rows in my pattern.
It says this:
rib 6, m1, (rib 8, m1)x4, rib 7.
M1= increase equalling 1 stitch.

So I translate it as:
[knit 1, purl 1]x6, m1, ([knit 1, purl 1]x8, m1)x4, [knit 1, purl1]x7

My problem is, when I count these stitches up they equal 47, when they should equal 50. Where am I going wrong? What am I missing?

Please help, my knitting fingers are itching!
~*Phoenix*~

suzeeq
04-17-2009, 07:03 PM
You're off because 'rib x' doesn't mean the whole rib x times, just x number of sts. So you would - kpkpkp, m1, (rib over 8sts, m1) 4times, then rib the last 7 sts.

PHOENIXMOON
04-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Hey all,
Thanks Suzeeq!
Me before::wall: :gah: :hair: :frog:
Me after:woohoo: :cheering: cloud9 :woot: :knitting: :yay:

Just to check before I go and knit on this lovely purple double knit, for fingerless gloves, with mitts. New translation:
[knit1, purl1]x3, m1, ([knit1, purl1]x4, m1)x4, [knit1, purl1]x3, knit1

So it should be [knit1, purl1]x3, m1, [knit1, purl1, knit1, purl1, knit1, purl1, knit1, purl1, m1]x4, [knit1, purl1]x3, knit1

This now equals a total of 50.
~*Phoenix*~

suzeeq
04-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Yep, that sounds right.

PHOENIXMOON
05-12-2009, 04:14 AM
Hey all,
I have frogged and redone this knitting pattern and I still havent finished it. Its a simple knit that should be done within a day, but I'm stuck on the finger part. I can do the part of the finger no problem, just I end up about 12 stitches short, even if the stitch count is correct after the thumb and first finger. Its just getting really annoying.

Can someone who has completed a glove/part finger glove please give me pointers as my pattern is not available free on ravelry?

Many thanks,
~*Phoenix*~