PDA

View Full Version : need bulky, affordable yarn

bebedechocolate
04-12-2009, 01:26 PM
My boyfriend has been watching me knit and said I should teach him. Our first project was going to be a scarf with very chunky yarn and size 17 needles per the instructions in the SnB book. I was hoping you guys could point me in the direction of some good quality, chunky, affordable yarn online. Our LYS are wal mart and JoAnne, neither of which have much in the way of natural fibers and nothing in the ways of anything above worsted weight yarn.

Jan in CA
04-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Your local stores should have some of these, if not they are online. They are bulky.

These are all acrylic or acrylic blends.
Patons Shetland Chunky
Patons Shetland Chunky Tweed
Bernat Softee Chunky
Bernat Softee Chunky Twists
Bernat Alpaca
Lion Brand Wool-ease chunky

Wool
Bernat Felting Wool

Knitpicks has some bulky yarn. Click the linked ad at the top of the page or go to the stash tab.

bebedechocolate
04-12-2009, 02:35 PM
thanks!

prettylittlelie
04-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I love wool-ease thick &&quick from lion brand its a wool acrylic mixture, it feels nice &&isn't too bad on the wallet :)

cftwo
04-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I second the recommendation of Wool-Ease thick and quick - it's a super bulky yarn, just about perfect to use with 15s or 17s. I've used 1 skein to make simple garter stitch or 1x1 rib scarves for kids, so he might want 2 for an adult-sized scarf.
http://cache.lionbrand.com/graphics/yarns/weTQSkeinArt.jpg

bebedechocolate
04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Is the thick and quick splitty like the homespun? I am using homespun to make my first project and the splitting of the yarn is driving me crazy.

Craw
04-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I haven't found Thick & Quick to be splitty at all. I do agree though that the Homespun can drive a person crazy. If I'd picked that yarn for my first project I doubt I'd have ever learned to knit!

sorifes
04-14-2009, 03:51 AM
I have homespun but I have yet to use it...I aquired a big ball of it for 50 cents at a garage sale

Anyhow I like wool ease thick and quick. It's a good thick yarn. If you want different colors n stuff you could get two or three strands of worsted weight and knit it like that. It'll do the same thing and maybe be more pretty with more colors