PDA

View Full Version : sock yarns

pepsinut
04-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I love making socks and I was wondering if there is any other type of yarn (other than sock yarn) that can be used. Thanks

Lady Violet
04-12-2009, 06:13 PM
You can use all sorts of yarn. There are patterns out there for socks using all different yarn weights. I would recommend natural fibers, though. Acrylics have a habit of making feet sweat.

Jan in CA
04-12-2009, 06:14 PM
You can use any kind of yarn you want. If it has nylon/polyester or some other blend that makes sock yarns strong then all the better. I've made socks with Plymouth Encore DK and Patons chunky tweed, too. :thumbsup:

Plantgoddess+
04-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I like making socks using lace weight yarn. They fit better in shoes and are wearable in warmer weather.

imrachel
04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Did you mean by thickness, or by fiber content? If you mean thickness, then see above posts as well as the sock section of www.knittingpatterncentral.com . If you mean fiber content, then there are plenty of non-wool, non just-acrylic options. Panda Cotton and Panda Soy are 2 of my favorites, along with Maizy.

pepsinut
04-14-2009, 09:51 AM
I would like to thank everyone that replyed to my message. I thought that you had to use sock yarn when you made socks. I was told that if you used anything other than sock yarn it couldn't take the wear and tear. I guess from reading your messages that it really doesn't matter what you use.

Thanks again

Plantgoddess+
04-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I would like to thank everyone that replyed to my message. I thought that you had to use sock yarn when you made socks. I was told that if you used anything other than sock yarn it couldn't take the wear and tear. I guess from reading your messages that it really doesn't matter what you use.

Thanks again
I think the big thing with a lot of sock yarns is that they are made with superwash wool and or some nylon content so that they are machine washable. A lot of people don't want to hand wash socks. I have lace weight socks that have outlasted sock weight versions.