PDA

View Full Version : Still Getting Odd Looks and Fun Conversations

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Still trucking up and knitting here and there when not trucking up.

Am in Cheyenne, WY tonight, watching it snow (Ummm, it is Spring, right?). Was sitting in the saloon knitting and enjoying a few adult beverages, and had some nice conversations with a few people, mostly women, about knitting.

One waitress told me how much she always wanted to learn how to knit. I gave her a quick lesson on cast on, knit, and purl, and promised that next time I'm here I would spend some more time, at her house, giving her some more lessons.

She said she would go buy some needles and yarn and practice what I showed her, as well as watch the videos here at KH, and be ready for the next time I pass through. She even promised to cook me dinner in exchange for knitting lessons.

It really is funny how something as old and simple as knitting can be such a conversation catalyst.

suzeeq
04-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Am in Cheyenne, WY tonight, watching it snow (Ummm, it is Spring, right?).

Yup, that's springtime in the Rockies for ya. Probably be there tomorrow, too; that's supposed to be the heavy part of the storm.

But hey, you've made a new convert to the Holy Way of Knitting. Good for you!

Jan in CA
04-17-2009, 12:32 AM
:yay: Yea! A new converted knitter! Good job, Mason!:thumbsup:

Sewing Angel
04-17-2009, 01:36 AM
We had snow here on Easter. We went most of winter, not being winter and now that it's spring, well its winter again!
You always have a great story. You will have knitting students all across the country!

MoniDew
04-17-2009, 11:25 AM
sounds like you got some female companionship out of the deal, too! Way to go, Mason! :cheers:

Debkcs
04-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Way to go, Mason, we should get you a red sash that says "KH Knitting Ambassador" for when you accidently step into a building for adult beverages.

As far as the weather in Wyoming . . . we lived there for a bit, the snowy spring will lead to five weeks of summer, then snow again. Of course,you know this, trucking up as you do. I couldn't take it, probably 'cause I didn't have knitting to relieve stress then.

ArtLady1981
04-18-2009, 02:49 AM
A man with a baby in arms, a dog on a leash or knitting in hand is the ULTIMATE CHICK MAGNET! :teehee:

Way to go, Mason!

"It is not good for man to be alone!" (ancient words of long ago)

I'm glad to hear that you meet, and socialize with, such nice people over the road!

I'm keeping up with you on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Knitting_Guy), too!

Ronda
04-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Neat story!

Knitting_Guy
04-18-2009, 11:01 PM
"It is not good for man to be alone!" (ancient words of long ago)

I enjoy being alone most of the time, but can't disagree with these words of wisdom. There are times when everyone needs to enjoy the company of fellow human beings.

KnittingNat
04-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Glad to hear you're doing fine and meeting nice people:hug:

Dimpledapple
04-21-2009, 02:40 AM
Love to read about your knitting conversion stories! It's great that you got to meet someone so friendly, and you'll even get a nice home-cooked meal out of it!

OffJumpsJack
04-23-2009, 01:32 PM
One waitress told me how much she always wanted to learn how to knit. I gave her a quick lesson on cast on, knit, and purl, and promised that next time I'm here I would spend some more time, at her house, giving her some more lessons.

She said she would go buy some needles and yarn and practice what I showed her, as well as watch the videos here at KH, and be ready for the next time I pass through. She even promised to cook me dinner in exchange for knitting lessons.

It really is funny how something as old and simple as knitting can be such a conversation catalyst.

Trucking up... occupation of the land based sailor.

:eyebrow2: Why does this song come to my mind...

There's a port... on a western bay
And it serves.. a hundred ships a day
Lonely sailors... pass the time away
And talk about their homes

And there's a girl... in this harbour town
And she works... laying whiskey down

:waving:

Knitting_Guy
04-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Trucking up... occupation of the land based sailor.

:eyebrow2: Why does this song come to my mind...

:waving:
Always loved that song