PDA

View Full Version : FO: Wild, Wooly Cowboy Hat 2

outdoordrea
04-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Here's the second cowboy hat I've knitted and felted. This one was knit in Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride for the crown and brim, and Patons Classic Merino for the band. The band felted smaller than the rest, so the band is a bit small, but the hat is HUGE. It's too tall and the brim is too wide (you can see this on the side view pic). I've felted it again since these pics were taken, and I'll probably re-block it. I'm just not happy with the brim, but since there's specific shaping going on, I'm just not sure what would happen if I were to cut it down.

auntcrafty
04-18-2009, 07:39 PM
It's too bad it felted differently and came out too big. It looks great from the front, love the color, and the idea is so fun!

Jan in CA
04-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Looks pretty neat anyway!

outdoordrea
04-18-2009, 09:29 PM
It looks great from the front, love the color, and the idea is so fun!

Yes; it's deceiving in the frontal picture.

Debkcs
04-19-2009, 02:10 AM
I think ArtLady knows some way to cut, then crochet bind an item, you might want to ask her. The hat is really a cool idea, just need a couple inches off the front, and it'd be a winner.

WandaT
04-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Yup, It looks great from the front. Love the look. I know how frustrating it is to finish something like this and not have it come out the way you planned.

ArtLady1981
04-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi!

I think this is one great hat! Hey, it looks to me like you're wearing it backwards. Shouldn't the 'brim' be in the back really?

This style of hat (with the extra long brim at the neck) is the same style MANTRACKER wears. It protects his neck from rain runnin' down the back of his coat when he's trackin' on horseback in the wilderness!

You look absolutely adorable. I had to call my husband in from the kitchen to see it! He thought you looked like a real woman! (from him, that's the highest compliment!)

I might make myself one of these hats, too! I really like it!
My husband would be chasin' me all over camp! :teehee:

PS: if you decide to cut the brim you shouldn't have to edge it. Felted knits won't go anywhere. I've seen project that were made from felted pieces, cut to shape, then sewn together. If you felted it real tight, it won't ravel. Try a test swatch. Felt the swatch real tight, when it's dry, cut it in half. See what it looks like.

My girlfriend buys old cheap wool knits at the 2nd hand store, takes the sweater apart, just the pieces I mean, then felts them in the washer, then re-cuts the pieces to certain shapes, and makes her nieces cute little vests and things! Uses the sewing machine to sew them up! She never has to 'hem' them. The raw edges don't ravel. She got the idea from a Martha Stewart show!

vaknitter
04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
That's an awesome hat ! I'm really good at overfelting and supershrinking things so you could always throw it in my washer and see if it shrinks your hat some more :teehee: Seriously - I have knit up a Booga bag and had it come out of the washer barely big enough to hold my wallet in the blink of an eye.

outdoordrea
04-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi!

I think this is one great hat! Hey, it looks to me like you're wearing it backwards. Shouldn't the 'brim' be in the back really?!

The brim is long in the front and the back. I re-blocked it so that the back hangs down my neck, and I still want to cut off some of the brim.

If any of u decide to make this hat, I suggest not using a different yarn for the headband. That experiment didn't work so well.

The crown is too tall, but I don't think I can modify that at this point. I have a friend who has done a lot of felting and a lot of cowboy hats (though not this particular pattern) and I'm seeing her on Monday night. Perhaps she'll have some suggestions.

Thanks for the tips on cutting felt; I knew that, but had a senior moment, I guess!

Suziblues
04-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Well I think it looks AMAZING! I want to make one now. Especially if there is a kid size pattern: my grand sons would LOVE a cow boy hat like that.
Very nice work!

outdoordrea
04-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Well I think it looks AMAZING! I want to make one now. Especially if there is a kid size pattern: my grand sons would LOVE a cow boy hat like that.
Very nice work!

Here's where I purchased the pattern: http://www.highcountryknitwear.com/cowboyhat.shtml

Pat is very nice and may be able to help you to make a child's size.

margz3
04-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Well, that is one cool hat!