PDA

View Full Version : What does.

celtic52
04-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Does anybody know what C2B and C2F mean and how to do them, I found this pattern at Michaels Bernat Softee Baby Knit Blanket Textured Blocks and it has these abbreviations but does not explain them. I have been knitting for four years now but just do not know what they mean. Thanks. Leslie

albertpollard
04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Could it be an abbreviation for Cable to Back and Cable to Front?

celtic52
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Don't know??? could mean that but how many stitches do you think??

GirlChris
04-20-2009, 04:41 PM
maybe post a little more of the instructions, maybe it will make more sense to someone in context. My first thought too was (well it's something in Back and Front maybe cable?) But I'm not sure either.

celtic52
04-20-2009, 05:04 PM
GirlChris, thanks so much the pattern is from Michaels by Bernat a baby afghan, and the first Row 1: K5, *C2B, C2F, K9. Rep from * to last 9 sts. C2B, C2F, K5.
I am thinking it is a cable from the picture but I am not really sure, and none of my knitting books have anything like this in them. Thanks, Leslie

knittinfiasco
04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
It is indeed cable with 2 sts held in back, then cable with 2 held in front. If there not a legend or key somewhere in the instructions? Perhaps the end of them?

celtic52
04-20-2009, 05:44 PM
No there is no legend or key in the instructions. My problem is that I have found various different meanings for these abbreviations, one of them being exactly what you said but another has been knit in the back of the second stitch from the left but do not take it off the needle and then knit into the first stitch and take both of them off together. So you see it is very confusing. Thanks, Leslie

knittinfiasco
04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Ah, the not taking it off the needle, then working another st is known as a 'twist' in some dictionaries. Is the twist 2 sts and the cable bigger (4 sts)?

It's too bad Bernat's treats its customers so badly. :/ Any chance you can find it on the bernat website (http://www.bernat.com/search.php?advps=y)?

Sknitter56
04-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Usually the C2B is to slip 2 stitches to the cable needle and hold to the back of the work, k2, then k2 from cable needle. The C2F is slip 2 stitches to cable needle and hold to front of work, k2, then k2 from cable needle. The "f" and the "b" let you know where to hold your stitches.

celtic52
04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Knittinfiasco, I first e-mailed Michaels since I pick up the pattern from their store, and their reply via e-mail was to contact my store and ask for an Expert, I replied and told them that since they put the pattern in the store shouldn't they know what all the patterns mean, I still have not heard from them. Then I phoned Bernat to see if I could get an answer from them but of course there was no live person to talk to, you could only leave a message, so we will see what happens. See someone else replied that it is a 2 stitches cable held in front or back, but I can not tell from the picture if it is a true cable, I am thinking not. It may be the twisted cable you were talking about. I even went on Bernat's website but the pattern is not there yet. Why put something nationwide into the store then not get the help you need. I can not believe somebody did not proofread the pattern before they printed it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Craw
04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
You think this is bad, almost every pattern I've tried from Lion Brand has had something goofy going on with it. They do answer their emails but rarely own up to typos. My first inclination is that C2B=Cable two back and C2F=Cable two front. Can't trust me tho cuz I've never done cables before!

knittinfiasco
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
The 4 st cable is going to be a little smaller than Amy's example video (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques), and actually ought to be written c4f or b. A twist will be very small. Without knowing how many plan rows are in between, I can't tell you exactly what that looks like.

imrachel
04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Don't shoot me if this is wrong info. But here is the link to Bernat's abbreviations. It's for C4B and C4F, so every time it says "2", just substitute 1. By the way, that's pretty standard-- that if it says C4, it means that the entire cable will use 4 sts, so it's 2 crossed over 2. http://www.bernat.com/abbreviations/

suzeeq
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
The number in the cable abbreviation refers to how many sts in the whole cable. So for C2B/C2F they only involve 2 sts. So the description that said to 'knit in the back of the second stitch from the left but do not take it off the needle and then knit into the first stitch and take both of them off together' is correct. Then for the other, you'd knit into the 2nd stitch from the front, leave on the needle and knit into the 1st st and take them both off together.

lulubell
04-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Usually the C2B is to slip 2 stitches to the cable needle and hold to the back of the work, k2, then k2 from cable needle. The C2F is slip 2 stitches to cable needle and hold to front of work, k2, then k2 from cable needle. The "f" and the "b" let you know where to hold your stitches.

I agree with this explanation 100%.

suzeeq
04-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Usually the number of sts is not how many you slip, but how many sts involoved in the whole cable. You slip 1 to the cable needle, knit 1 from the left needle, then the one from the CN.

lulubell
04-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Usually the number of sts is not how many you slip, but how many sts involoved in the whole cable. You slip 1 to the cable needle, knit 1 from the left needle, then the one from the CN.

I have thought and thought about this ever since I posted my reply the other day. So this morning before work I looked up several books and I WAS WRONG SuzeeQ is absolutely correct! The number does refer to the whole number of stitches in the cable, not how many to slip onto the cable needle. So cable 2 back is as has already been correctly explained - slip the next 1 stitch onto the cable needle, hold at the back of the work, knit the next 1 stitch, then the one from the cable needle.I am very sorry for putting anyone wrong.

suzeeq
04-23-2009, 09:15 PM
It's easy to think that you would cross over the number of sts that it says in the patten when there's no explanation given.

knittingymnast
04-25-2009, 11:02 AM

That's at least what I think.