PDA

View Full Version : What's the secret to socks?

ladyjessica
04-21-2009, 01:55 PM
I started making my first sock about two weeks ago. I don't usually have much trouble with patterns, but the sock seems to elude me. The pattern called for size 3 DPNs, which I don't have. However, I do have size 4s, and I knit tightly, so I did a gauge swatch and it was perfect. I knit 2x2 ribbing for the leg, and it was fine, did the heel, lovely. The foot, on the other hand, is huge. Well, was huge, as I ripped it all out last night back to the leg ribbing.

I'm thinking that maybe I'll continue the ribbing down the top of the foot and switch to my size 3 circs and try to figure out how to do the heel and foot with magic loop, but the whole thing has just been very discouraging. It makes me not want to even bother finishing it. :cry:

Denise in Michigan
04-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Don't give up! Tell us more about the pattern and how the foot was huge, and I'm sure someone here will be able make this work for you. Is it a heel flap sock or a short-row heel sock? Was it too large in length or around your foot?

ladyjessica
04-21-2009, 11:13 PM
The pattern is 'Adult Socks' from Ann Norling, and the designer is Deridre Wallace. I assume that it's a heel flap sock, because the pattern says:

Divide sts for heel:
32 sts on #1 needle
16 sts for #2 and #3 needles
Work back and forth on the #1 needle as follows:
Row 1 (right side) *Sl1, K1* rep between * across
Row 2 Sl1, P remaining sts across. Work 32 rows.

So, I worked the 32 rows and the flap seemed like it was way too long, so I ripped out about half of it and then turned the heel, picked up stitches for the gusset, and attached those to the instep so I was knitting around. It was at this point that the foot got too big. I think it might have been passable, but I know myself and I never would have been happy with it. I think probably what it was is that the ribbing on the leg kind of cinches in a bit and then switching to stockinette stitch for the foot just made it open up too much on the size 4 needles. If that makes any kind of sense at all.

I haven't felt like working on it at all today, so it's just sitting in its pretty bag waiting for me. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. :wall:

KnittingNat
04-22-2009, 04:04 AM
After 6 pairs of socks, which is not much, what i can tell - don't shorten the heel flap, 32 rows is just fine. They do look huge when the sock is unfinished and i too thought of shortening, but didin't and eventually it was all fine. Try to do the heel flap as it's written in the pattern, it's important for the construction of the gusset and the instep. The moment you have a shorter heel flap, you make less gusset decreases, which can explain the huge foot part. Finish the heel and the gusset and then try the sock on. It worked every time for me:thumbsup:

wildflower38
04-22-2009, 07:02 AM
The pattern is 'Adult Socks' from Ann Norling, and the designer is Deridre Wallace.

So, I worked the 32 rows and the flap seemed like it was way too long, so I ripped out about half of it and then turned the heel, picked up stitches for the gusset, and attached those to the instep so I was knitting around. It was at this point that the foot got too big. I think it might have been passable, but I know myself and I never would have been happy with it. I think probably what it was is that the ribbing on the leg kind of cinches in a bit and then switching to stockinette stitch for the foot just made it open up too much on the size 4 needles. If that makes any kind of sense at all.

Hi Jessica, knitting socks for the first time can seem very difficult but after you make your first 2 pairs, it becomes a matter of stitch patterns for the leg and top of the foot. Heel flaps sometimes look too long but trust that the designer has done it correctly. The stitches that you pick up on the edges of the heel flap will be decreased (most of the time) back to half of the number of stitches you casted on then you'll knit the foot with that same number of stitches you used to cast on. What yarn are you using to knit your socks? Since you're using a different size dpns than what is in the pattern, you can decrease the number of cast on sts to allow for that change. Ribbing is very stretchy. Most of the time useless you knit a tube for your gauge swatch, your gauge will change. Mine gets tighter... I'm a tight knitter. Yours may have loosened up a bit.

hartleystudio
04-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I have knit that pattern many times and I always go down a needle size for the foot. Keep the heel flap the same though. I also can never seem to pu the correct number or sts on the heel flap, I always end up with more, so I just do more decreases.

It's funny, most sock patterns are basically the same so I don't know why I end up with a giant foot with this one too. Maybe you would like a toe up sock better? I have never done one so I don't know but at least you can try it on as you go so you would know if it fit right from the start.

Good luck, don't give up! Sock knitting is great!!

knittingymnast
04-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, when I first started, I used Silver's site. cometosilver.com/socks

Hallegold
05-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I LOVE Silver's sock tutorial. I learned how to knit socks using her tutorial and I've recommended it numerous times. It's well written and contains great pictures. :inlove:

Suziblues
05-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi, I also used Silver's Tutorial when I knit my first sock and I HIGHLY recommend it.
Good luck to you! Dont give up!

biztec
05-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I used the same pattern to knit my first pair of socks. I followed the pattern exactly and they turned out fine. I wish I could be of some help, and I hope you get it figured out soon. There's nothing more frustrating than having a project that you just can't get finished!

ladyjessica
05-12-2009, 10:34 AM
I did rip out everything back to where you start the heel flap and re-knit that and followed the instructions to the letter, switching to size 3 needles after I turned the heel. I'm still working on it. The foot still seems a little big, but not nearly as bad as it was. I have some other projects I'm doing right now, but I keep going back to it when I want something easy. I'm not sure I'll finish the pair, though. :teehee:

Arielluria
05-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Don't be discouraged! With every mistake and rip back I learn SO much more about knitting!!!! I used Silver's Sock Class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm) for my first socks and it printed out to something like 18 pages due to all the screenshots but they were SO helpful. By the 2nd pair of socks I didn't even need to look at the directions.

DollyC
05-12-2009, 02:53 PM
You are in the right track Jessica.
The "mistery" is only in that first pair!
You' ll see how much easier are going to be your next ones.
Here in my blog http://mrsknitaddict.blogspot.com/
http://mrsknitaddict.blogspot.com/2009/05/socks-my-way-calcetines-mi-manera.html
where I have my own solution to "sock making mistery"
Happy knitting!
kisses,
Dolly

Jeremy
05-12-2009, 07:13 PM
And sometimes the first sock is a disaster. The Yarnharlot's blog is filled with pictures of people's first sock. They are hideously funny. Mine was somewhat identifiable as a sock and was so filled with holes it was embarrassing. Sometimes you just have to get it out of your system.

lulubell
05-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Don't give up. 32 row heel flaps is just right for most socks, and if you pick up too many up each side of the heel flap, just do more decrease rows until you get down to the right number (usually, from my limited 7.5pr experience the same or close to the number you cast on at the very beginning of the sock) and then you are away again until the toe decreases!

kellee0302
05-14-2009, 12:17 PM
I always think that my socks look way too big but I stick with it and they always fit perfect.

gayatri
05-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Hi,

This video helped me in my first sock. Although i messed up 'Toe grafting'. I'm mustering up courage to start my second sock.

good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQMGCo_mXY&feature=related

-Gayatri