PDA

View Full Version : Casting on...

TEMA
04-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I've just gotten back into knitting and I'm loving every minute of it.
The other day I discovered something new to me. I discovered a different method of casting on.
Casting on has always meant the use of two needles in the English method but I when I began to knit a sweater for my youngest granddaughter, it called for the cast on to be by the 'thumb' method.
I'd never heard of this!
Naturally I came here and looked it up and in no time at all I was using this method and it's wonderful!
I just love the edge it gives - no loose loops - very neat and tidy and a cinch to learn!
So here I am - still knitting the sweater but have also finished a pair of socks for Mom using this c.o. and beginning the legwarmers I promised for my niece...
I knit because I love the rhythm of the needles, the texture of the yarn, that fact that knitting is quite primitive compared to computers and such and because it helps me to stay calm in the midst of crisis...
I'm not really looking to be challenged... just satisfied...:thumbsup:
TEMA:knitting:

Jan in CA
04-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Oh I see it's basically a long tail, but done more like knitting. My favorite is long tail because it goes so fast, but whatever works for you is the one you should use! :thumbsup:

Lisa R.
04-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Oh I see it's basically a long tail, but done more like knitting. My favorite is long tail because it goes so fast, but whatever works for you is the one you should use! :thumbsup:

Ah! I looked at the video to see. I thought the "thumb method" was the backwards loop cast-on, and wondered about the comments about being neat with no loose loops!

Turns out I use the thumb method myself. I knew what I did was basically the long-tail cast-on, but I was taught the "thumb' way....and find myself too uncoordinated to do it the one-handed way. :)

suzeeq
04-23-2009, 11:46 AM
That's the CO I use; never got the hang of doing it the 'right way' and discovered the variation on my own and that it was the same thing. I can sorta do the correct one now, but it's not as even as my way, and I have to adjust the thumb yarn all the time as it pulls up too much. I have smallish hands, maybe that's it.

Anarfea
04-24-2009, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=Lisa R.;1225119]Ah! I looked at the video to see. I thought the "thumb method" was the backwards loop cast-on, and wondered about the comments about being neat with no loose loops!

QUOTE]

I thought it was the backwards loop cast-on too. But it reminded me of Techknitter's recent post on how to do a neat backwards loop CO with no loose loops. (http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2008/12/casting-on-additional-stitches-at-end.html) It can be done, who would have thought... I always avoided it for that reason.

knittingymnast
04-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Ahh. I do something along the lines of a wrap-the-yarn-around-your-thumb-slip-the-needle-under simple cast on. :roflhard: It's easier to me.

Knitting_Guy
04-24-2009, 10:36 PM
????????????????????

suzeeq
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
That's the backward loop CO Mason.

Knitting_Guy
04-25-2009, 12:09 AM
That's the backward loop CO Mason.

Ah, ok. Thanks, now Mongo understand.