PDA

View Full Version : Friends/Cancer

Crycket
04-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Wow...I just found out a friend of mine has breast cancer...

It is funny how you don't really understand how scary it is until it touches someone you know...

She found out today...and is in for an MRI and for Surgery tomorrow...she will find out how much it has spread then...

I don't know what to think...I just found out minutes ago... and I feel kind of numb...like the world has stopped turning while I am trying to make sense of it....

I guess it is my turn to ask for healing thoughts for her...Rebecca could really use the hope and support!

:grphug:

:pray:

saracidaltendencies
04-23-2009, 11:43 PM
:hug::hug:

My thoughts are with you both and I'm hoping for a successful surgery and quick recovery!

Jan in CA
04-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Oh no! I'm sorry! You're pretty young so I'm guessing she is, too. My thoughts are with you and your friend!

Debkcs
04-24-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm sorry for your friend, this is a very hard thing to go through. The good news is that, caught early, breast cancer can be cured.

Not to hijack your thread, but a friend of mine on another board is dying right now from cancer that has metasticised into her abdomen. She has 24 hour hospice care, and all her family are with her. She's in her mid-60's, but still had kids living at home. We're all in shock because we had such faith the meds would work.

Crycket
04-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Oh no! I'm sorry! You're pretty young so I'm guessing she is, too. My thoughts are with you and your friend!

Yeah...she is younger than me....in about 3 weeks she is turning 26...

cindycactus
04-24-2009, 08:52 AM
That is very young. just 26. I am so sorry your friend and Debkcs' friend are going through this. It is very hard to have someone close to you with this dreaded disease. DH is a cancer survivor, also my closest friend is a survivor of Breast cancer and Overian cancer. But I lost my younger sister to Primary Peritinal Cancer after she survived Breast Cancer. There is hope and new treatments everyday. So I will pray for both of your friends and both of you that you will have the strength to go through this with your friends. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Simply_Renee
04-24-2009, 09:45 AM
That's awful news. She's lucky to have a good friend, I know you'll be there for her.

:heart: to everyone going through something like this.

cftwo
04-24-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm sorry you're going through this. Cancer is a tough fight, and it's hard on the family as well as the patient. When I found out my 2nd mom had cancer, my first thought was that I wanted to give her a hug. Lots of support with the day-to-day things that treatment might make her too weak or ill to do will both help her, and give you a way to feel useful (because we all feel useless when a loved one has a diagnosis like that). Listen to what she says, too. Mom's chemo really made her hands super dry, so I got her some really think moisturizers which helped with the symptoms, even if they didn't help with the cancer itself. Hang in there.

jamiejeans
04-24-2009, 10:59 PM
You are right, it's very scary! I understand what you mean, my mom was diagnosed with a very rare form of a gynecological cancer in January and is undergoing chemo right now.

I hope your friend does well, and has a speedy recovery. She will need your support, which doesn't necessarily mean more than just being around, listening to how she is feeling, or doing her laundry.

I could go on with all that I have learned, but I am sure you will do whatever your friend needs!

Knitting_Guy
04-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Both you and your friend are in my thoughts and prayers.

tokmom
04-25-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm so sorry. That is so young. I pray she can overcame this. :hug: :hug:

Crycket
04-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I am sure she will be very happy to hear that so many ppl are thinking of her...!

She is having Surgery bright and early on Monday Morning...!

Still haven't heard the extent of the spreading....but I will let you know as it unfolds...

Debkcs
04-26-2009, 01:43 PM
My friend died last night. She was 'waiting' for one of her sons to get home, and passed away four hours after he arrived home.

I'm so thankful that she was in my life, even as a 'cyber-friend'.

MoniDew
04-26-2009, 02:14 PM
so very difficult to watch someone you love go through this! I'll be keeping you both in my heart.

Crycket
04-26-2009, 08:24 PM
My friend died last night. She was 'waiting' for one of her sons to get home, and passed away four hours after he arrived home.

I'm so thankful that she was in my life, even as a 'cyber-friend'.

I am sorry to hear it!

Sunshine's Mom
04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
:heart: :hug: to you both.

So sorry Deb.

Debkcs
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Thank you.

Another friend, RL this time, passed away last night, after her third round of cancer. Just no reserves left to fight it. I have the joy of knowing that I'll see these two dear people again . . . which makes it some easier.

On the other end of the spectrum, a friend who'd been trying to have a child for 15 years had a little boy early Saturday morning. :heart: Imagine being a new mom at the age of 42.

Sunshine's Mom
04-27-2009, 03:32 PM
When one flame is extinguished another is lit to take its place. What a wonderful joy!

Crycket
04-27-2009, 05:55 PM
When one flame is extinguished another is lit to take its place. What a wonderful joy!

:cheering:

Crycket
04-27-2009, 09:41 PM
So...just to let you know...

My friend Rebecca just had a Left Breast Masectomy....

There is no further news...I was told that it was a 50/50 decision to remove the breast and they went for it to be safe...

They also removed a bunch of limphnoids as well..but they need her to heal from surgery before finding more out...

So...that is the new news...

Cross your fingers...send those healing thoughts, or pray...what ever your believes lead you to do...

I appreciate it big time...!

Jeremy
04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
I hope all goes well for your friend. A very close friend of mine died two months ago from it, nine years from diagnosis. She lived just about every minute of that time to the fullest. She finished a law degree, practiced law, got a pet for the very first time in her life, traveled to Israel and got an apartment in New York. I hope and pray your friend has a very long life in front of her and lives it the way my friend did hers.

melmac51
04-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Praying for your friend's speedy recovery, and good news for the rest of the way. My daughter is the same age. Don't know how I'd cope if we found out something like that.

One of my very best friends (for 40 years!) is a 2 year survivor of breast cancer. She taught me a lot about courage and faith without ever saying a word. I went with her and her DH for her biopsy. They had to kick her DH and I out of the waiting room because we had her laughing so hard, her blood pressure started to rise. She asked me to come with her to a couple of radiation treatments. (So I wouldn't worry about her.) I had my own "scare" about 3 years ago, and I was such a wimp compared to her. Mine wasn't even cancer...just "old adipose" (translation: old fat). Hang in there. I'm hoping everything will be fine.

Simply_Renee
04-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for giving an update!

I am so sad for those of you who have lost your friends and family members to cancer. It touches so many people- and I so look forward to the day when a cure is found!

Crycket
04-30-2009, 08:03 AM
So I have talked to Rebecca...and she is in good spirits....

Her birthday is next week and she wants me to knit her a boob...*smiles*

Little does she know I already launched myself into making her a knitted teddy bear...out of angora Bamboo....(it is such a nice yarn!!!)....so now I have to go borrow some needles and get myself started on a knitted boob too...and all before the 10th....

I can do it!!!

Simply_Renee
04-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Here (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/knitted-breast) is a pattern if this saves you time looking for one! I'm glad she's doing well.

That is really sweet to knit her a bear- & you can get it all done by the 10th! I don't know about the bear but the boob should be a quick knit.

Crycket
04-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah...I was thinking about this (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tit-bits) pattern...but yes...it should be quick..

The bear is actually coming on pretty quickly...I am going to watch Gone with the Wind for the first time tonight...and hopefully get through a few more pieces...I will have it on Ravelry when I am finished...

May I also plug Patons Angora Bamboo right now...my gord is it ever soft!!!! Highly recommend...

Crycket
05-08-2009, 08:01 AM
So...the newest update is that after having her left breast removed...and a whole bunch of nodes removed as well...the doctor thinks he cleared all of his margins...

However one of the nodes he removed was positive for cancer...and so she has to go back to have more nodes removed...and definatly has to do chemo....

Simply_Renee
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Well, there could definitely be better news than that- but I hope they get it all and that she handles the chemo OK.

MoniDew
05-08-2009, 02:10 PM
our hearts are with your friend (and you) during this time. :heart:
:grphug:

auburnchick
05-09-2009, 09:52 PM
So...the newest update is that after having her left breast removed...and a whole bunch of nodes removed as well...the doctor thinks he cleared all of his margins...

However one of the nodes he removed was positive for cancer...and so she has to go back to have more nodes removed...and definatly has to do chemo....

A friend of mine had colon cancer last year. They removed seven inches of her colon but found cancer in maybe the first 1-3 inches (I can't remember). They tested several nodes and only found cancer in one of them...the one closest to the original site. So, she had chemo just to cover herself and increase her chances of avoiding a recurrence.

Perhaps the one node was closest to the breast. Her chances still sound very good for a full recovery, although it sounds like she might need additional treatment.

:hug:

Crycket
05-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Well her next surgery is set for May 25th....So I will definatly be able to tell you more after that....!

I am giving her her knitted boob today....we will see if she likes it...!

mhansen
05-17-2009, 04:06 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

salevy
05-17-2009, 09:55 PM
My best friend was diagnosed with Colon Cancer in May, 2007. She died 6 weeks later on July 27, 2007. She was 49 and 3 months.

I know how you feel with your friend being diagnosed with cancer. Doesn't matter what kind it is, it's still cancer.

Hope she's OK. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Shari

Crycket
05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
So far so good....

She is going to have that surgery I mentioned earlier to get at the nodes under her arm. Just to make sure there is no cancer there.

She loved my knitted boob....she isn't even fully healed and she tried it on...She was very pleased!