PDA

View Full Version : My yarn storage method...

Jan in CA
04-27-2009, 12:55 PM
....it's a work in progress. I still have to work on the lower cabinet as there's stuff in there that needs to find a new home other than where it's sitting now. Maybe I need more CD shelves.. :think:

The cabinets are Ikea "billy" bookcases. The used to have CD storage inserts, but they no longer make them so I had DH measure the one we have and he made me 3 more to fit the yarn cabinet. Now it's all nice and pretty. I put glass doors on it and love it! The other cabinet just has the yarn sitting on the shelf at least for now, but it's organized.

The net thing to the side used to have a lot of yarn in it, but I found it a pita to try and find a specific yarn. I may still use it, but it'll be more organized.

The bookcase method is well worth the time and money spent! Click to see it larger with more details. :thumbsup:

Arielluria
04-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Oooh, I love the new storage :woohoo:, especially the pic on the right of the skeins behind glass. :notworthy:

Knit4Pie
04-27-2009, 01:24 PM
I love it! There's only one thing that annoys me....not being able to read the titles of your books LOL. Reading and writing are my other obsession.

DQ
04-27-2009, 01:26 PM
It looks great! :cheering:

Lighting57
04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
I have sent a PM.

Jan in CA
04-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I have sent a PM.

I got it and replied.

Jan in CA
04-27-2009, 02:13 PM
There's only one thing that annoys me....not being able to read the titles of your books LOL. Reading and writing are my other obsession.

:roflhard: Yeah, I'm an avid reader, too.

Let's see...... we've got Janet Evanovich, Sue Grafton, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Robert Crais, Christopher Moore, Jodi Picoult, etc, plus some random books and a bunch of knitting novels. That help? :teehee:

luvmykid28
04-27-2009, 02:31 PM

Let's see...... we've got Janet Evanovich, Sue Grafton, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Robert Crais, Christopher Moore, Jodi Picoult, etc, plus some random books and a bunch of knitting novels. That help? :teehee:

We have the same taste in reading material. Love your storage, too. I have the Billy units in my bedroom. They are great. Maybe i should get another for my stash. It's kept in the bedroom too in giant ziplock bags.

Jan in CA
04-27-2009, 02:38 PM
I have the Billy units in my bedroom. They are great. Maybe i should get another for my stash. It's kept in the bedroom too in giant ziplock bags.

This is way better than ziplocs or bins because you can SEE what you have very easily and it's off the floor. The yarns are so colorful it looks great, too!

Note if you do doors... you can't put TWO sets on one cabinet. You have to get the long doors. I found out the hard way which is why there are books above and below the two cabinets. :doh:

Sunshine's Mom
04-27-2009, 03:22 PM
It's gorgeous!! Color me green! Looks like a yarn store.

albertpollard
04-27-2009, 04:08 PM
That looks great! If you send those books to me...you'll have even more room for yarn.:roflhard:

Mistyrosern
04-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Hey I envy you!!! I have four children and a dog. I have to hide mine in a big store bag in the bottom of a chest, or I find the yarn around the kids and the dog. You have done a great job and someday mine will look (I hope!!) similar!!! Good job!

knittingymnast
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Oooh, I love the new storage :woohoo:, especially the pic on the right of the skeins behind glass. :notworthy:

Me too! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Knit4Pie
04-27-2009, 09:43 PM

I've read most of those as well. I thought I recognized the Stephanie Plum books there LOL

ArtLady1981
04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
It looks beautiful, Jan! Just like a nice LYS! Way to go!

whitneysb
04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
That is so freaking cool! Mine is stuffed in a bag in my closet.

gingerbread
04-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Love the storage idea. I don't have as much yarn but I love the way you have it set up. Very Very Nice Jan.

swcheng15
04-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I LOVE it! My stash is currently in a closed cabinet, a fabric basket stuffed to the brim, and a cardboard box full of yarn I got at a yard sale. That's what IN my house. I have a large plastic bin in my garage too. I LOVE your idea. It's sooo pretty, and the glass doors keep them dust free!!! And soo color coordinated too. Hmm...maybe I can get my DH to agree that we put a bookshelf in that room. :)

Arielluria
04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
It looks beautiful, Jan! Just like a nice LYS! Way to go!That's what I thought too, I bet it gets knit up faster than mine which is in sweater storage container under my bed! I removed all my yarn from the hobby room when my mom moved in because I got tired of the old line 'what do you need more yarn for' every time I came home with a coupla skeins of sock yarn, but someday I want to replace my open shelving with something like yours!!!!!!!!!! Where did you get it?

stacyk9
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
That is fabulous! Just like Arielluria, my yarn in also in a sweater storage bag under my bed. Kind of gets forgotten under there. Great job!

Anarfea
04-28-2009, 02:30 PM
That is a really nice set up. Not to mension you have a ton of nice yarn. My stash isn't nearly so big but I've been begging the boyfriend to move the TV (which isn't actually even plugged in) out of our entertainment cabinet so I can fill it with organizers from Ikea and pack my yarn in it. I think you just inspired me to finally get a move on that this weekend.

Jan in CA
04-28-2009, 03:11 PM
someday I want to replace my open shelving with something like yours!!!!!!!!!! Where did you get it?

Ikea!

Here's some pix I just took of the whole room. All the furniture other than the chairs are from Ikea. You can see Foofie on the chair. She likes to sit behind me. :lol: I'm not quite done with organizing the shelves so the ones in the last picture have some random stuff on them including my new KP blockers! Love them!

Arielluria
04-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Love, love, LOVE!
:muah:

GinnyG
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Very nice Jan!!

I was going to post some pics of my "yarn storage" since I need help, desperately. But won't hijack your thread (I'll start a new one)

Shandeh
05-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Very organized. My craft room will NEVER look like that. :teehee:

sakura-panda
05-04-2009, 09:31 AM
IKEA is awesome! I don't know how I managed before they built one an hour away from me! :lol:

Your storage looks great, Jan -- I love how the dark furniture makes the yarn shine!

Jan in CA
05-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Thank you everyone! :hug:

Too much clutter drives me mad if I can see it so I had to do something. Now the closet on the other hand....:shifty: It'll get done as well, but it's less of an issue cause I can't see it every day. :teehee:

stisdale
05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Wow it looks really good Jan, the only thing that I have a difficult time with is how do you keep track of which yarn is which and the weight, etc. I never keep the wrappers that come around yarn and then when I go to do a project, I just have to hope for the best!! :P I mean how do you know which one is 100% acrylic, wool, etc.? Dark, sport, worsted weight?? I'm trying to figure out a system... :hmm:

Shandeh
05-05-2009, 03:49 PM
stisdale, I'm not Jan of course, but I'll tell you how I keep up with my yarn weights and fibers. (Sorry for hijacking your thread, Jan.) :hug:

I put them all on Ravelry, and reference where they are stored. I have labels on each drawer and box of yarn in my craft room. (Yarn Drawer A, Yarn Drawer B, Yarn Box 1, Yarn Box 2, etc.)
I just put the proper box name in the "stored in" blank on Ravelry.

Here's an example:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Shandeh/stash/cottontots-ombres-2
(of course, you have to sign into Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com) to see that link)

And I sort my yarn by fiber. Cotton, Wool, Acrylic, Wool-Blends, Baby Yarn, Novelty Yarn, Chenille Yarn, NICE yarn, etc.

I keep all my really nice yarns in a cedar box, to protect them. My other yarn is stored in plastic bins, plastic boxes, and paper storage boxes. I also have some yarn that I display in baskets, just to make the craft room look nice. cloud9

You can see my plastic bins (with drawers) at the back of this photo.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/1588293923_54cbc79903.jpg

And here's a view of my plastic storage boxes. As you can see, I have some recent yarn purchases in bags that have not been stored yet. It's an ongoing thing, since I'm a yarn addict. :wink:

Jan in CA
05-05-2009, 04:24 PM
No problem, Sandy!:thumbsup:

Stirsdale - Do you mean you take the ball bands off the minute you get them home? :?? The best way to keep track of what the yarn is is to keep the ball band. I don't usually use all the yarn at once so I keep the bands on the ones I'm not using. The only ones that I don't know are random balls of yarn that lost them or some that other people have given me.

Ravelry is also a good source because I keep track of my projects and I usually know what project used what yarn so I can look there if I'm not sure. I've also written it on a piece of paper and stuck it in the yarn ball.