PDA

View Full Version : Blankets For our troops

lissaplus2
04-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I have a great friend who lugged in a box of 44 skeins of yarn, some vintage pattern books and handouts with patterns on them and a couple of crochet hooks still in the package 2 weeks ago that she had got at an auction. (shes my yarn scout :muah: )
This stuff is called "Can-Can" and is 92% Acrylic-6%Polyester-2% Other Fiber and cant find a thing about it on the net. Im guessing its very old. Keep that blend in mind and read this....

I took this box of yarn home and let it "talk" to me. (im weird i know)
Prior to this "gift", I had been wanting to try a log cabin blanket.
So...this yarn was destined to become my first log cabin blanket. As it turns out, this is not good blanket material. But if I was successful in this aventure, I would get the proper yarn and make another. Well, It was successful and VERY easy as I thought it might be. But now I have this almost 100% acrylic blanket 50"x60" that is not cozy and squishy as i suspected but a blanket nontheless that I would like to donate to the war efforts. My brother is in Iraq and would like to do something for our people however menial a blanket might be. But acrylic is not recomended for their helmet hats because of it being flammable. Would the same apply for a blanket?

I thought there was such a charity but cannot find and address to send this blanket to or find out if they would accept it. If anyone knows any info please let me know.

Shandeh
04-28-2009, 12:32 PM
You're not weird, I "listen" to my yarn "talking" all the time, and I actually talk back! :teehee:

I don't know the answer to your question, but you might want to check with Citizen SAM http://www.citizensam.org/

gmmarton
04-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Believe it or not, the weather can get cold there during the winter months. Is your brother able to accept the blanket and distribute it to a local Iraqi family in need? Or are you attached to sending the blanket to a deployed person?

I have had great success sending hand-knit items to our troops for distribution to local children and/or their families. That includes Iraq as well as Afghanistan. I have not, however, sent anything acrylic specifically for the troops to use and keep.

There are many agencies stateside that support our veterans. I would be very surprised to hear that they would be not be willing to accept your hand-made, hand-knit blanket.

Good Luck!