PDA

View Full Version : Needle frustration

crocee
04-30-2009, 04:16 AM
I learned to knit on little short DPNs and now I have decided I want to make a sweater. Well you can't make a sweater on DPNs. You have to use those long, unwieldy regular needles. These needles keep bumping into things, get stuck on/in things. How do you manage these wicked objects of knitting torture long enough to get anything made?

globaltraveler
04-30-2009, 04:59 AM
Try using circular needles instead. (You just knit back and forth like usual, ignoring that they're connected.) The tips are a lot shorter than regular knitting needles, so more like what you got used to with DPNs. :)

Mike
04-30-2009, 07:27 AM
I didn't notice that much of a problem when I was using 14" straights. But now I use circular.

8" dpns on in the round parts of a nearly finished sweater are an issue. You just kind of keep everything pushed away and tucked together.
If you're doing a collar pulling the sleeves inside helps some.

crocee
04-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Right now I am still doing the back of the body of the sweater. I still have another 14" to go. It seems like the 14" needles get hung up on everything, the chair arm, my sleeves and/or shirt, the blanket if I am covered with one, everything. I worry about using the cable needles since I have never used any before, and I am not sure I have any long enough, will have to look at what lengths I do have.

Craw
04-30-2009, 08:32 AM
I can't use 14" either. I'm glad I stumbled on this forum and read about how so many use circulars for most, if not all, of their knitting. It was the perfect solution for me. I still use the 10" straights sometimes and never had a problem with those but I can't get many stitches on them and that's where the ciuculars come in.

Jan in CA
04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Two words - CIRCULAR NEEDLES! I never use straights anymore except for the occasional DPN.

Circular needles are easier on your hands, arms and shoulders, too. For large projects the work sits on the cord in your lap waiting to be knit and you don't have to hold it up on one or two needles.

crocee
04-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I am on my way to Hobby Lobby to get another cable needle set since I don't have one long enough, or the correct size. From what I have read, 29" is a good size for all around projects. I am using a size 7 straight needle, will the cable needle also be a size 7?

Jan in CA
04-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I am on my way to Hobby Lobby to get another cable needle set since I don't have one long enough, or the correct size. From what I have read, 29" is a good size for all around projects. I am using a size 7 straight needle, will the cable needle also be a size 7?

The needle sizes are the same, it's the cord that makes the difference in length. Circular needles are measured tip to tip. 29" is good, but I prefer a 32" for sweaters if they are top down or bottom up. You end up with a lot of stitches at some points.

crocee
04-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks. I will probably pick up a couple sets since I have to drive 30 miles each way. Might as well get everything I need :0

Jan in CA
04-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks. I will probably pick up a couple sets since I have to drive 30 miles each way. Might as well get everything I need :0

If you like circs you might consider investing in an interchangeable set. It'll save you money in the long run and you rarely run out of sizes. :thumbsup:

Mike
04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
If you like circs you might consider investing in an interchangeable set. It'll save you money in the long run and you rarely run out of sizes. :thumbsup:

Plus as the sweater grows and shrinks you change the cord and the spare cords act as stitch holders.

knittingymnast
04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I didn't notice that much of a problem when I was using 14" straights. But now I use circular.

Yeah, neither did I. :teehee:

crocee
04-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Well Hobby Lobby was out of all size 7 needles. I have asked them to let me know when they get some in so hopefully they will. Hobby Lobby is sorely lacking in their knitting notions lately, today there was very little. I will probably be heading back to Little Rock next week so I could pick up some then.

Mike
04-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Well Hobby Lobby was out of all size 7 needles. I have asked them to let me know when they get some in so hopefully they will. Hobby Lobby is sorely lacking in their knitting notions lately, today there was very little. I will probably be heading back to Little Rock next week so I could pick up some then.

My Walmart carries bamboo circulars. I'm not sure if they carry metal circulars or not.

Knit Picks is pretty fast on their shipping if your situation is such to afford the Options kit.
It really is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of fixed circulars.
Since you're adept at DPNs you shouldn't need any circular cables that are shorter than comes in the kit.

crocee
05-01-2009, 04:23 AM
Of the 6 Walmarts within a 50 mile radius of me 4 carry circs. They ONLY carry sizes 9,10, and 10 1/2. I will check out KnitPicks if Little Rock proves futile. I am trying to stay away from buying on KnitPicks because they have SOOOOOOO much I want.

Simply_Renee
05-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I know what you mean about Knit Picks. I hate to be an enabler (yeah, right!) but I love them. I have the harmony wood set and 1 pair of the nickel plated tips. I love my needles from them. (and am totally getting a nickel set when I can!) They're fast, have wonderful customer service, & the prices are great. I keep a lot of items "saved for later" in my cart, and usually add things to the cart every now & then when I have the $ to. This way I can keep track of everything I really want & prioritize.

pinktoque
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I know what you mean about Knit Picks. I hate to be an enabler (yeah, right!) but I love them. I have the harmony wood set and 1 pair of the nickel plated tips. I love my needles from them. (and am totally getting a nickel set when I can!) They're fast, have wonderful customer service, & the prices are great. I keep a lot of items "saved for later" in my cart, and usually add things to the cart every now & then when I have the $ to. This way I can keep track of everything I really want & prioritize.

Ooh now this is a smart way to keep a little personal wishlist -- I've always wished KnitPicks had a "wishlist" function so you could save things to your wishlist instead of your cart -- and then a way to share that wishlist with anyone via email and a link, so that the non-knitters in your life (gasp, there are some out there who don't knit?!) who want to buy you something can check out your wishlist and easily take things from your wishlist and into their cart. Maybe even if someone takes something from your wishlist to put in their cart it removes the item from your wishlist, and since you'd be registered with KP, when the other person does that and they go to purchase, it could automatically fill in your mailing address as the shipping address to make gift giving easier! Oh, but I'm just dreaming a little.

luvmykid28
05-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I would bite the bullet and get the knitpicks interchangeables. I have the harmonies and the nickel plates sets. I prefer the nickel, but use both when I knit in the round with 2 circs.

I give this advice because when I 1st started knitting, I tried all the different needles I could find in the chain stores. metal Straights, "cheap" metal circs, bamboo straights and circs, DPNs all of them made me crazy. The straights got caught on things (like you) and projects were heavy on the needles. "Cheap" circs made me crazy with the little bend on the needles where they connect to the cable. Not to mention the cables lack of flex. I finally bought the knitpicks set. Now I have a fairly large collection of other needles I will not use. Every time I go to use them , I just get frustrated and pull our the knitpicks.

crocee
05-01-2009, 07:27 PM
My mother came to the rescue. She had a 29" size 7 tat belonged to my grandmother. My work is now on a circular needle and is a lot easier to control. It hurts my hands a little so I take a lot for short breaks. I have the same trouble with crochet. I wonder why the DPNs and the straights don't bother me but circs and crochet needles do.

Jan in CA
05-02-2009, 12:33 AM
It might be the length of the needle itself, but I think you'll get used to it. :thumbsup:

Ijustwantacraft
05-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I need some advice about needles and this seems to be a good place to ask. I am about to order myself some knit picks harmony wood circular interchangeables, a set. 16 inch cable interchangeable is not in the set because they don't make them for the interchangeable. ( I did email them to ask about this although they have lots of request for this they say they are not making them at this time in so many words.) I think I need 2 sizes in 16 inch because I'm a new knitter and so magic loop is going to be part of my learning process. Until then I will have to add the fixed 16 inch to my order, 2 sizes for adult and baby projects.

Would like to know the most common size for adult hats or adult projects done in 16 inch circular and also the most common size used for making baby items in 16 inch circular. :knitting:

suzeeq
05-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Gee it really depends on the yarn used. Worsted weight would need size 7 and up, fingering weight would use size 3-5. With the interchangeable set, you can magic loop your knitting if you need a size you don't have in the 16".