PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the Curl

denverknits
05-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Hi there.

I'm a self-taught knitter and have lots of hats and scarves to my bag of finished projects. I have even attempted and completed a cable sweater (8 years old and my favorite)! The only reason I decided on a cable sweater was because of the hem curl that I could never avoid with the very clean looking knit stitch. This time, I want to make a sweater that is plain, plain, plain!

I have started it, and I have knit 6 rows of ribbing. I thought I could avoid a curl by using a few rows of ribbing, but I can't seem to avoid it. Any suggestions? I want as little ribbing as possible for "cleaner" look, and I don't want the ribbing to end up pulling the hem or cuffs in. How do I achieve an even drape?

If it helps/matters, I am using:
100% wool
size 10 (6mm) needles

Thanks in advance.

globaltraveler
05-02-2009, 06:15 AM
The Techknitter suggests fabric relaxer!

Mirl56
05-02-2009, 09:33 AM
How about a few rows of garter stitch instead of ribbing. that should keep it from curling and also won't pull in like ribbing will.

knittingymnast
05-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Ribbing also EATS yarn. Like, it gets used up super fast.

Jan in CA
05-02-2009, 01:20 PM
If you want it to look like plain stockinette all the way down how about a hem?

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2007/11/hems-and-facings-part-3-of-better-bands.html

CountryKitty
05-05-2009, 12:55 AM
I often use a seed stitch border on knitted items when I don't want it to either curl or gather in (like ribbing does).

globaltraveler
05-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I was trying to think "out of the box" with this, and thought of a couple things:

* a grosgrain ribbon hem finish on the inside of the garment;

or perhaps

* sew in a light dressmaker's chain on the inside of the garment near the edge.