PDA

View Full Version : alpaca yarn

knitfan
05-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I have a dilemma. I purchased beautiful alpaca yarn in two colors to make a scarf, either for myself or as a gift. I love working with it, it feels so soft. But the minute I put it up to my neck--SCRATCHY and ITCHY! Now what do I do? Should I continue finishing this project and how can I give it away as a gift when I know how scratchy it feels??

Jan in CA
05-02-2009, 01:59 PM
I can't wear animal fibers either, but I can knit with them. I would finish it and give it to someone who doesn't have the same skin sensitivity. :thumbsup:

Ingrid
05-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Jan's right. Some people are sensitive to certain fibers on their neck when others aren't. Before you give it away, make sure that they are comfortable wearing it.

I made a very soft hat for a bald man at the request of his wife. He liked the way it felt, but not the way it smelled. :shrug: It was commercial yarn, so all the farm was out of it. I couldn't smell anything.

hartleystudio
05-03-2009, 08:31 AM
You might wait and finish it (if you haven't already) and then give it a bath in some gentle wool wash (I like eucalan) and that might do it. I know I knit some socks from Misti Alpaca and they softened up quite a bit after I blocked them.

That's a bummer. Sorry. But, if you can't wear it you will totally make someone's day with such a great gift!!

Good luck!