PDA

View Full Version : It's Cursed!!

margz3
05-05-2009, 09:07 AM
For a month now I have been trying to make my first pair of socks. I think the yarn is cursed! I purchased it a year ago but didn't feel confident enough to try making socks. But after making a couple of berets and being forced to use dpns, I thought - sure, I can do this now!

So...... I found a pattern and cast on. Made it through the ribbing and started the lace pattern. Got a ways into it and realized I was knitting it inside out. No biggie, just flip it! Flipped it.....saw too many mistakes and decided to :frog: Set it aside for a few days and thought I would try an "easier" pattern. Ribbing fine, not knitting inside out, screwed up the pattern and again :frog: Back to first pattern, same deal!

Last night I cast of for an even easier lace pattern (now mind you, it is just simple yo's, ssk's, etc) Got through the ribbing, into pattern and once again.....messed up! :frog: :frog:

Why is it that I can't seem to follow a pattern when dpn's are thrown in! They are NOT difficult to work with - I get the concept! I guess I will have to do a basic St St pattern :( Maybe try magic loop or 2 circs? Or give up on socks....or maybe my pretty yarn is cursed for this project!

Thanks for listening - just needed to vent!

knitgal
05-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Okay, first of all, what weight of yarn are you using? I think the best yarn for any new sock knitter is at least a sport weight. I made my first pair out of sock weight and I would have said they were cursed too.

Also, you're right, perhaps you should start out with a plain stockinette stitch pattern. Not that you can't knit fancy socks, but it will be easier once you get the basic idea of a sock down and are confident in yourself.

You can do it!

HollyP
05-05-2009, 10:39 AM
I would stick to a simpler sock in a larger weight yarn for a first pair. Silver's sock class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/) is a great tutorial site. Knit picks has a free pattern for 2 at once magic loop socks (http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Two_at_Once_Toe_Up_Magic_Loop_Socks_Pattern__D5063 1220.html) . My first socks were knit with the knit picks pattern. It is fairly easy to understand and you get both sock done so no Second Sock Syndrome(SSS).
Good luck! Sock knitting is not for everyone but those people who like it really love it!

Jan in CA
05-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I would stick to a simpler sock in a larger weight yarn for a first pair. Silver's sock class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/) is a great tutorial site.

I agree. There is enough going on in a sock that doing a plain stockinette stitch one is a good idea for a first one. Once you learn the mechanics of a sock then try a more difficult pattern.

Also.. a lifeline is a tremendous help on lace patterns.

margz3
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
I agree. There is enough going on in a sock that doing a plain stockinette stitch one is a good idea for a first one. Once you learn the mechanics of a sock then try a more difficult pattern.

Also.. a lifeline is a tremendous help on lace patterns.

I am using Silvers - big help! I probably should have started with a sport or worsted weight, not the fingering weight that I have, but I have used this weight for other lace projects without any issue. I get the workings of the dpns, but for some reason I am either adding or dropping sts while working along (although I didn't do this with my first attempt - the pattern part was mostly fine - just my own stupid mistakes!) I never even made it to the heel/gusset/toe!

Jan, I tried putting a life line in and got frustrated - probably because I was using such small dpns. Maybe I was doing it wrong. That began :frog: #2!!

My problem is now that I am stubborn and WANT TO MAKE SOCKS WITH THE SOCK YARN I HAVE! :teehee:

DH will be working all weekend - maybe I can find some nice, quiet time to really concentrate on this project. I do think I will try either 2 circs or magic loop though - maybe I will have an easier time of it. I don't like the way the dpns seem to get in my way while knitting :wink:

Jan in CA
05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I prefer two circs over ML. I always know which needle I'm on and they are easy to put down or carry with you. With ML I was often confused and had problems with the heel. Since a lot of people do it just fine it was probably just me. :teehee: You do needle sets instead of one, but who can't use extra needles?! :lol:

margz3
05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
I prefer two circs over ML. I always know which needle I'm on and they are easy to put down or carry with you. With ML I was often confused and had problems with the heel. Since a lot of people do it just fine it was probably just me. :teehee: You do needle sets instead of one, but who can't use extra needles?! :lol:

:teehee: :teehee: I think I said something like that to a response in Artlady's post about the Harmony straights :wink:

A year ago when I first bought the yarn, a woman I work with told me to try it on 2 circs, so I actually have them. I think I am going to try this method first and if I have no luck there, go to ML. If nothing works, I need to find another use for the yarn lol!

Jan in CA
05-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Silver has a tutorial for a two circ toe up sock (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm). Here's (http://fuzzynoodleknits.typepad.com/photos/free_patterns/100_1635.html) another simple one that is top down.

All sock patterns and methods are a little fiddly when it comes to the gusset, but stick with it and you'll do fine. :thumbsup:

knittingymnast
05-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Silver's sock class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/) is a great tutorial site. Also.. a lifeline is a tremendous help on lace patterns.

I started with this too!!!

Jan has told me this, like, a GAZILLION times!! Totally recommended!

DorothyDot
05-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I think one big huge help when you have to mark rounds in a sock pattern is to put a strand of contrasting color yarn between the last st. and the first st of the new round.

Then just weave this strand in and out as you start new rows. Makes a wonderful quick visual when to stop one pattern row and go to the next.

Then when you're done, just pull out the strand. Simple!

It's also a great idea to keep a copy of the pattern with you and tick off each row of the pattern stitch.

Hope this helps - and GOOD LUCK!

Dot

lulubell
05-05-2009, 11:00 PM
I have a row counter on a length of wool that I hang around my neck and use that to keep up with what row I am on. Perhaps putting a stitch marker after each pattern repeat in each round for a couple of inches until the pattern is 'set' might help.

But do perservere, you may well become addicted!!

margz3
05-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Well, I went home after re-watching Amy's video on knitting with 2 circs and a print out from another site and cast on yet again! After watching the video, I found it really easy to get going working with the 2 circs - I see how it works kinda like dpns.....but is MUCH easier! I picked out a different pattern which has a pretty basic lace design and has the instructions for knitting on 2 circs. I cast on, knit away through the ribbing and did the first 2 rows of the pattern (by then it was midnight and I HAD to go to bed :sleepy:

I think this just might work for me :yay: The only mistake I made was forgetting to move the circ I wasn't working on once and I dropped a couple of sts, but was able to recover them fairly easily, thankfully! I really hope this one works for me!!

Jan in CA
05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
:yay:

One thing that trips people up sometimes when knitting with two circs is they use the wrong needle to knit with. Some people find it easier to use two different colored needles or cables if you have them so it's easier to see that you are knitting with the same color.

Just be careful to look and make sure you've got the right one. :thumbsup:

margz3
05-07-2009, 09:47 AM
:yay:

One thing that trips people up sometimes when knitting with two circs is they use the wrong needle to knit with. Some people find it easier to use two different colored needles or cables if you have them so it's easier to see that you are knitting with the same color.

Just be careful to look and make sure you've got the right one. :thumbsup:

Actually, I do have 2 different colored needles as I bought them (a year ago) with the yarn and the owner of the LYS suggested that as well! I did start to use the wrong needle once last night (got too involved in the movie we were watching :wink: ) but noticed after just a couple of sts.

Anyhow, I'm zipping right along so far (don't want to jinx myself :shock: ) and really liking this much better than using dpns!!

Jan in CA
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Using two circs works well for sleeves and the top of hats, too. Always good to have another technique our arsenal. :thumbsup: