PDA

View Full Version : 16" Double Points for Gansey Sweaters?

Dutch
05-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of 16" 2.75mm or smaller double point needles for making a Gansey sweater? I know I can use circulars and have done so in the past but I would really like to try making one using the traditional method.

imrachel
05-05-2009, 01:07 PM
There's sort of good news/bad news on this: You can get them from Jamieson & Smith, but their website is corrupt at the moment (those nasty red Xs come up in Google). But their address is 90 North Rd, Lerwick, Shetland, UK.

Dutch
05-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks! I'll give them a shot. Have you ever used double points of that length before?

imrachel
05-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Yes, I have. But I find circulars to be a much better option. They're just easier to manage and when putting your work down, as long as you push everything to the center and use a couple of point protectors, no chance of any sts falling off. You also need more work room as you knit with the 16"ers. But there is something to be said for having a go at the old fashioned way. The J & S ones I found to be very sturdy, but they will bend a little as your project gets bigger. They are stainless steel and will discolor a bit as they age, but a little mineral oil and soft cloth will take care of that. Hiya Hiya makes very fine circular needles in many lengths (by fine, I mean thin, but I have found them to be good, too!)

Dutch
05-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I wondering if it's even worth the trouble to track down and try the double points instead of just sticking to the circulars? Especially with a project like this that takes some time to complete. Using the circulars would give me the freedom to easily take the work with me from place to place; probably worth considering.