PDA

View Full Version : Use-ability of knitted bookmarks

yarncharmer
05-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm knitting a bookmark from #3 crochet cotton on size 1-1/2 needles, and it seems a little thick. Do people really use knitted bookmarks? Do they bend the pages of your books? The one I'm making is really pretty, but it's much thicker than the typical paperboard bookmark. It's meant to be a gift, so I just wanted to get some opinions on how useful it will be.

Here's the bookmark: http://ninaclock.com/flourish-bookmark

thanks!

Koehnae
05-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I have been using knitted and crocheted bookmarks since I was a little girl. I've found that they flatten out with use and really don't do damage to the books... although they are much better suited to hardcovers than paperbacks. The life of a knitted bookmark is much longer than those paper ones, as well. I still have a bookmark gifted to me by my aunt almost 20 years ago... it originally belonged to my Grandma that passed away 10 years before I was born.

lulubell
05-05-2009, 11:06 PM
That is such a pretty bookmark! I have printed it off and will knit it over the next few days. I will use the finest crochet cotton I can find in my bits and peices and perhaps .75 or 1.00mm knitting wires. Will put a picture on when completed.

Hope it will work out, I think it is delightful.

Jan in CA
05-06-2009, 12:55 AM
The main reason I haven't knitted one is because of the usability factor. I think using thread, cobweb or maybe lace weight yarn would be the best bet. I tend to read paperbacks so I don't think any other weight would be thin enough. That sure is a pretty one though!

yarncharmer
05-06-2009, 09:56 AM
EarthWhispers, that's really wonderful that you have bookmarks that have been in use for such a long time and have such special meaning. I really like that! It inspires me to keep going.

Lulubell and Jan, oh my! .75 mm knitting wires? Cobweb yarn? These things may be too much for me - I thought the size 3 cotton and size 1-1/2 needles were pretty small. Lulubell, I'd love to see your bookmark when it's finished.

I'm halfway through the 3rd repeat and I really like the look of this bookmark. Once it's finished I may go get that Susan Bates sock needle set at Joann's (it has sizes 000, 00, 0, and 1) and try again with some size 10 cotton that I have stashed away. I wonder if the 000 needles will be too big for that size thread?

WandaT
05-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Beautiful pattern! I may have to try that. I haven't made any knit bookmarks, but I have crocheted them using #10 cotton thread. They are fine to use in any book IMHO.

Debbie
05-06-2009, 11:16 AM
That really is a pretty pattern! She does mention that it is important to steam block (iron with a wet cloth on top) in order to flatten out the book mark and make it useable. I have done this and it really does work. Also, if you use a larger needle, the lace will be more open and press even flatter.

cftwo
05-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I have a knitted bookmark that I don't use because it's too thick for most of my books. But I do have lace-weight bookmarks which I use.

yarncharmer
05-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks everyone for you opinions and tips.

You know, Debbie, I wondered if using a bigger needle would result in a thinner, flatter fabric -- of course, I didn't think of it until after I was pretty far into it. I don't think I'll rip it out - it's too pretty. I'll try blocking and see how much that helps.

I did end up buying the sock set from Joann's today with my 40% off coupon - I was on that side of town and I couldn't resist :cool:

I hope I can find a thread/needle combo I like - bookmarks are about as instant gratification as you can get, and I'm finding lace is really fun!

linknit41
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Ihave used crocheted and knitted bookmarks, and also find them more suited to hardbacks. i have a cross-stitched book mark my mama made for me years ago that i use more in paperbacks as it is not quite so thick. linknit41

tgwillis
05-07-2009, 08:16 AM
I have one that was blocked using starch to stiffen it some(it is not hard just has some body) and that makes it easier to use. I think it is lace weight.

Craw
05-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I've made quite a few bookmarks by crochet with size 10 cotton thread. The one time I used the size 3 thread it was kind of thick. But I've even made some using ww yarn and they were fine so it depends on the design. Handmade bookmarks are awesome and they do last a lot longer.

lulubell
05-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I did 3 repeats of the pattern last night and it measures just 2". I found some No.20 crochet cotton and used 1mm wires. It looks really good! Hopefully will finish it over the weekend and have pics on Momday.

yarncharmer
05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
thanks cftwo, linknit, trisha and craw! I agree that the # 3 cotton is a bit thick. I did steam iron it like Debbie suggested and it got flatter, but still thicker than I'd like. I haven't finished it off yet, though, so now I'm thinking about what else I could do with it - add a few more repeats and make a headband? (I'm making a spa set for my mom so it might be good for pulling back her hair when she washes her face, etc. ) Or turn it into a sachet? (could also be for good ol' mom) What do you think?
Or maybe I'll just leave it a bookmark...

Lulubell, I'm so impressed with your tiny knitting! Only 2 inches after 3 repeats, huh? Mine measures 4 inches and I'm halfway through the 3rd repeat. It's such a pretty pattern! It went so fast and then I stopped - should just go ahead and finish it, but I tend to think about things way too much. :think:

lulubell
05-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I think I will have to do about 8 or 9 repeats of the pattern to make the body a decent length. I am dreading doing the i-cord though, it will take forever!

That pattern would make a lovely headband wouldn't it.

lulubell
05-10-2009, 06:48 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3558/3519371493_97213f23c5.jpg

Here is my finished bookmark done in no.20 crochet cotton and 1.00mm knitting wires. I am sorry my camera/photography are so poor!

If I did this again (and I just might!) I would use finer cotton, say 50 or so.

yarncharmer
05-10-2009, 08:57 PM
That's beautiful Lulubell!!:yay: It looks really delicate; how thick is it? Thanks for the pictures - I love it!

pinktoque
05-11-2009, 06:40 PM
That's gorgeous, lulubell!

yarncharmer
06-29-2009, 08:09 AM
I was waiting until I learned how to post pictures to give an update, but since I can't seem to take the time to figure that out (and I still don't even know how to get pics from my camera to my computer (oy!) I just thought I'd say that I finished two bookmarks - one with the # 3 thread, which was really too thick to be a great bookmark, but it was really pretty. The second one I did with #10 thread and it's a nice size. It's in use in a hardback book and works great - it doesn't seem to bend the pages at all and stays in place just fine. Besides that, it's really soft and I enjoy placing it in the book when I'm done reading, and playing with the tassle (isn't that silly?)

I enjoy using it much more than the scraps of paper I usually use (or worse-- nothing at all and then I spend 5 minutes looking for my page)

Currently I'm making another bookmark with #20 thread, and it's very thin and nice. Maybe by the time I finish I'll be able to tackle that picture posting thing, and can show you all 3!

lulubell
06-29-2009, 06:01 PM
I look forward to seeing the pics when you have it figured. They would make lovely Christmas presents I think.