PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else knit under their desk?

pinktoque
05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Such as at work or school?

I knit under my desk at work all the time! I'm an elementary teacher, so when it's during the school year I knit when I'm on a break (the kids are at gym or music or something) or while they are taking a test while I walk around monitoring. During the summer months when I work temp office receptionist jobs (like right now) I knit in my lap/under the desk because it can get reeeeeeally quiet and reeeeeeally slow from time to time.

I wish I had learned to knit while I was still in high school or college -- that would've been awesome. Just thinking of all that knittable time wasted makes me sick!

Anyone else?

P.s. http://knittingunderthedesk.wordpress.com ... also a group "Knitting Under the Desk" on Ravelry ;)

Luvmyrottnboy
05-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes! At work.

My job is the type that I am either full out or bored silly, so my knitting comes with me every day.

January is sooooooooooo quiet I have a "work" project and a "home" project. So I complete 2 things almost at the same time. That feels great!:cheering:

swcheng15
05-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Haha. No, I knit out in the open during my break time. But I don't bring it with me everyday. Only when I don't have to pay too much attention to it.

pinktoque
05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Haha. No, I knit out in the open during my break time. But I don't bring it with me everyday. Only when I don't have to pay too much attention to it.

Hehe ya, I totally knit in the open during my break times and knit on my lunch (in my office building, the top floor has a cafeteria and is all enclosed in glass with lots of live plants. It's so great to sit in the comfy chairs up there in the sun during the winter when it's too cold to be outside... you could almost pretend you were somewhere warm and tropical instead of Canada!) I also love knitting on the 30 min each way public transit commute. People look at me funny but I don't mind!

When I'm at my desk, though, I keep it "sneakily" in my lap and do it somewhat under the desk out of the view of everyone else. Since I'm the reception desk at my summer job, it's not difficult to keep it concealed really. During the lulls it keeps me sane and helps to pass the time. And if the phone actually rings I can just set it down in my lap.

GinnyG
05-06-2009, 06:37 PM
I frequently am done work before dh arrives to pick me up. So I'll knit in my office with the door shut. I fel guilty, I shouldn't because my work is done but am always afraid someone will see me and not know I'm actually "off the clock" so I sneak!

MrsWildchild
05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Sadly, no, I have one of those jobs that keep me occupied 100% of the time, and I end up going home every day leaving unfinished business.

It's a joke my boss makes, though, like if he was away for a day and he knows it was busy, he'll ask, "How much knittin' did you get done yesterday?" Or when we appear to be taking one step forward and two steps back he'll say, "I guess we'll have to cut out the knitting!"

My husband, however, has (had) the perfect job. He works reception at a hotel, often during the night. He usually ends up surfing the internet all night or napping.

knittingymnast
05-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Haha! Totally! I was knitting during a test today (the teacher is REALLY laid back and sometimes inadequate, in my opinion) and I was knitting, so I missed a question and asked him to repeat it. He repeated it and my friend said, "You missed it because you were KNITTING!" And I said, "Problem?" It shut her up reeeeeeally quick. :lol:

MoniDew
05-06-2009, 08:40 PM
yes! not sneakily, but discretely. I knit under my sampling table whilst sampling out my teas. I also knit in the back row of church and under the desk in Sunday school. I try not to allow my shoulders to move, so as not to distract anyone who might be trying to pay attention to something other than the obsessive/compulsive knitter in the congregation. (thus, back row).

suzeeq
05-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I don't have to be sneaky, we can read, crochet, knit, work puzzles, etc between phone calls (customer service call center), though they like to give us enough work so we don't have time to. But sometimes we get 5-10 minutes between calls for a while, then it goes back to being busy, then slows down.

stisdale
05-06-2009, 10:44 PM
I knit all the time at school! I'm a university student and out of all my college professors it only bothered one! (And she was a scatterbrain anyways, my knitting probably distracted her!) One of my teachers told me that if it seemed like my grades were slipping he would ask me to stop but I get great grades as it is so he couldn't complain! I got straight As the last two semesters since I've been knitting, maybe it helps!! :P I knit on the bus too, it's about forty-five minutes each way so its a good time. I don't get weird looks, people are just curious as to what I'm making or how I do it, etc. and it leads to a nice conversation! Since I don't have TV, I don't just leisurely watch a program and knit. So I get A LOT of my knitting done during lectures at school. I take notes mind you, but when they go on a long tangent or are giving more examples than I need, I knit away! :D

Dimpledapple
05-06-2009, 11:08 PM
I read the title of this post and imagined you sitting/hiding under your desk while knitting away furiously :teehee: I knit openly at work because my work environment is pretty lax to begin with, but also because several of my co-workers are fellow knitters. Pretty cool, I think!

cristina61
05-06-2009, 11:24 PM
I do sometimes knit at work, and I never have to worry about getting in trouble with my boss . . . because I'm self employed!

It's not always possible, though. My job is transcribing state hearings, so most of the time my hands are too busy typing to knit. The "good" news is that once I've finished typing my hearings I need to proofread, which means going back and listening to them again while re-reading what I've typed. That's when I can manage to squeeze some knitting in, as long as it's nothing too complicated.

It does slow down my proofreading a little bit, but I'll often do it unless I'm running behind schedule. It makes the tedious proofreading process much more enjoyable. :teehee:

LBECK
05-07-2009, 07:32 AM
I only knit on my lunch or break. I work in a billing office and I do not have time to do anything with my hands but use a key board.

hartleystudio
05-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Who knew there were so many of us out there!!! My job won't let me knit either, I'm a stay at home mom and a goldsmith! No idle hands there! BUT,...I attend a bible study once a week with a LOOOONNNGGG lecture. I love it but if I'm not knitting while the teacher is lecturing I fall asleep! I recall what she is saying much better if I'm knitting (as opposed to sleeping!!). I try to be discreet because I don't want to distract the others who are furiously note taking. In fact, I'll be sad when my study ends for the summer, not just because I like the study but because I loose valuable knitting time!! Hahaha!!

margz3
05-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Once in a while I sneak in a row or two.....but I am frequently on this site, if not actually knitting :teehee:

sakura-panda
05-07-2009, 09:26 AM
I can't knit at work -- although I come to KH sometimes when I'm waiting on my computer -- but I used to cross-stitch when I was in high school. :) I always finished my tests early and would cross-stitch for the rest of the hour.

In college, you can leave as soon as you're done, so it wasn't a habit I carried with me.

I used to crochet at family gatherings -- when everyone is just sitting around talking -- because I like to keep my hands busy. Then I had kids and now I don't just sit at family gatherings. :lol:

Sunshine's Mom
05-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I only knit during my lunch break and not all the time. Definitely did while doing Christmas knitting. My boss would come in and just giggle at me. I think he thinks knitting is for only older ladies. I told him that the crazy aunt who makes socks and slippers for everyone had to start somewhere! Here I am! But, I do feel a little weird knitting at work. Besides, if it's a tricky pattern I'm working on it makes me crazy to have to stop and start while answering the phone or doing something else. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, no?

However, that being said, if I don't knit I'll usually try to watch videos on knitting techniques that I want to try. Even watching knitting relaxes me. Is that weird?

JasminJaquine
05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't knit under the desk or anything sneaky, but I usually keep a small project at work to fiddle with on my lunch hour. My boss giggles at me too when she sees me, and usually comes out to our little couch area and sits and chats with me. Outside of that, work is a bit too busy for knitting.

pinktoque
05-07-2009, 11:42 AM
However, that being said, if I don't knit I'll usually try to watch videos on knitting techniques that I want to try. Even watching knitting relaxes me. Is that weird?

Not weird at all!

If I can't be knitting, at least watching knitting technique videos gets me a little bit closer to the real thing, because it's usually techniques that I am trying to learn or understand better myself.

I don't get to knit under my desk everyday (I spend too much time forum reading or blogging about knitting, or ... actual work every now and then!) but when I do it really relaxes me :)

cftwo
05-08-2009, 08:35 AM
I knit publically at work - no sneaking needed. It's a good way to mull over a pargraph I'm trying to write, and since I try to limit work knitting to mindless stuff like dishclothes, I can also read while I knit.

When my boss first "caught" me knitting, she commented that she used to work at a catholic high school and all the nuns brought their handwork to meetings. Those were the most productive meetings she had ever been in. :)

ready2knit
05-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm able to knit out in the open at work. I supervise study halls at our local high school. It's a thankless job (that I love! You can keep your little kids- give me a teenager any day!) I come in contact with over 300 students in the course of the day. I get them whipped into shape at the beginning of the semester and then it's all good- They study or sleep, I knit.
To tell the truth many of them are interested and fascinated by the process. They're always asking questions about my projects when they come up to my desk. Currently I'm furiously kntting a baby blanket for my sister who is due at the end of this month. They're interested in seeing my progess.
My boss has walked by room and just smiled. As long as the kids are quiet and studying he's happy.

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Not at all. I'm an art teacher grades K-5th. I teach 700 children per week and each art session is only 40 minutes long. I am constantly walking around teaching/ helping and/or monitoring the students when they are in art class.

I have 5 minutes between classes.. to get ready for the next class.. (put projects up/ get new supplies out/etc.) which I never have.. because:

THE leaving teacher is always late arriving to pick up her/his class or the arriving teacher is always arriving early. Sigh.. and to go to the bathroom? I have to go all the way down the hallway.. only possible to do if the class prior arrives on time and the next class scheduled doesn't arrive too early.. and I teach 3 hours before I do have an official break... of 15 minutes (it's part of my lunch time) then I go do a DAILY OUTSIDE RECESS duty every day.. for 20 minutes.. then, I return for the rest of my lunch period...

*I've thought about walking around knitting during my lunch time recess duty.. but, I know that someone (who doesn't have to do this duty) would complain that I wasn't monitoring appropriately.. know what I mean?

So, I do always take something with me.. for other times of 'waiting'.. if we have meetings after school- I can manage to knit about 5-7 minutes while waiting for everyone to arrive and the meeting to start. I also take something simple with me.. because you just never know.. when you'll be waiting while doing errands.. (standing in line/etc.)

So, 'yes' I do take knitting to work w/ me.. but, I don't knit on the clock so to speak.

AH1OZ
05-10-2009, 07:40 AM
if i had a desk to knit under i would

but right now i am a stay at home mom... and when i am working i am a hairstylist - so no desk

OffJumpsJack
05-12-2009, 02:05 PM
During my work day, it sits on top of my desk so everyone knows I'm working and not knitting.

During my break or lunch times I may work on my knitting, crochet, or visit the KH forum.

Vertigo1414
05-13-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't have a desk, i basically walk around counting things all day in a grocery store. i do have a half hour commute that i try to get things done on though.

yiayiabryant
05-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Since I'm a church secretary and the moderator of the prayer shawl ministry I always have some knitting with me. During staff meetings I work on a prayer shawl. I knit at lunch and at council meetings between taking notes for the minutes. No one minds since this ministry has envolved members that normally don't participate in anything. It's good to have knitting with me on days like today when the computers were down most of the afternoon. :knitting:

Puddinpop
05-15-2009, 11:28 PM
I would love to do that but, My desk wraps around the windows and my back is facing my office door. It is kind of hard to hide it, if someone came in my office. I do have it with me for my lunch breaks. I too, think about all the time I wasted when I was young that could have been used to knit or sew.

Koehnae
05-16-2009, 09:22 AM
I don't currently knit under (or over) my desk at work. I work as a fitting room attendant in a retail store and some days it gets dreadfully dull. It sure would make the day go faster! I have several coworkers that have approached the manager on my behalf regarding allowing me to knit when it's slow. Everyone I work with is fascinated by my knitting and will actually stop by the break room just to see what I'm working on that day.

Jan in CA
05-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Okay, I keep seeing this subject line pop up and it makes me smile every time. I'm picture you all physically sitting/squating under your desks knitting, eyes darting everywhere watching for the boss. :lol:

rosefields
05-17-2009, 09:14 PM
I read the title of this post and imagined you sitting/hiding under your desk while knitting away furiously :teehee:
Me Too! :rofl: I was thinking..."she must have a pretty big desk to knit under it AND the carpet must be pretty soft!"

Kinnexa
05-19-2009, 01:40 AM
I wish! I knit through my lunch all the time, and before going to work, and often after getting home from work, so I'm thinking about knitting at work. BUT I spend most of my workday doing data entry, so unless I learn to knit with my toes I don't think I'm going to get any done on the clock... :(

OffJumpsJack
05-19-2009, 01:58 PM
I wish! I knit through my lunch all the time, and before going to work, and often after getting home from work, so I'm thinking about knitting at work. BUT I spend most of my workday doing data entry, so unless I learn to knit with my toes I don't think I'm going to get any done on the clock... :(
:roflhard:

Which would smell worse?
A) A wool sweater knitted by hand
B) A wool sweater knitted by foot
:shrug:

I never noted any odor from my (one) wool sweater. Nor from my one cotton sweater nor from any of the acrylic sweaters I own.

I also liked the quote in your signature. Thank you!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because
those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss