PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions

tgwillis
05-06-2009, 05:56 PM
I plan to knit this fr my DD for Christmas and what some thoughts.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/little-red-riding-hoods-cape

Would a yarn like this look right, or should I stick with a solid.

http://www.yarn.com/product/webs-knitting-yarns-cascade-220-superwash-paints/

The yarn I use needs to be super soft and not itchy any suggestions? She has dark hair and eyes and fair skin, her favorite color is pink. Please help I want this to be right. And I need to get started soon.

pinktoque
05-06-2009, 06:11 PM
That yarn is gorgeous :) And I've not personally made a garment from it, but I hear nothing but good things about the superwash Cascade -- that it washes well and is soft. Good luck, I'm sure your DD will love it!

Craw
05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
If it were a variegated yarn I might think it would be a bit busy but the yarn you chose looks like a striping yarn and I think that would look cool. You may have to do some extra work to make sure the yarn doesn't pool in a weird pattern. Is it all done in one piece? If it is, then you don't have to worry about matching up stripes on separate pieces. Hmmm ... I don't believe I've ever seen cables done in anything but solid colors. That really is a beautiful looking yarn!

pinktoque
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Ya I didn't really think about cables in anything but solids. The yarn is beautiful, but I agree with Craw... it depends on if it's variegated and how it pools, too. With the cabling maybe something solid would look better? I don't know for sure -- either way it will be beautiful and well loved :)

Jan in CA
05-07-2009, 01:21 PM
That's adorable. :thumbsup: As for the yarn.. I think a solid would show up the cables and pattern better, but it would still be cute.

As for the yarn..have you used Cascade 220 before? I used it (non superwash kind) for some charity items and even after soaking in hair conditioner I found them rather rough and not soft. I am extra sensitive though myself so it may be fine for anyone who isn't sensitive to wool at all.

tgwillis
05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
That's adorable. :thumbsup: As for the yarn.. I think a solid would show up the cables and pattern better, but it would still be cute.

As for the yarn..have you used Cascade 220 before? I used it (non superwash kind) for some charity items and even after soaking in hair conditioner I found them rather rough and not soft. I am extra sensitive though myself so it may be fine for anyone who isn't sensitive to wool at all.

What yarn would you suggest for softness? She hates anything itchy.

Jan in CA
05-07-2009, 01:41 PM
What yarn would you suggest for softness? She hates anything itchy.

I'm assuming you want wool since that was your original yarn? Since I am sensitive to all the wools I've tried so far I am not going to be the best judge of yarn. Do you have any wool in your stash that you can test on her?

tgwillis
05-07-2009, 09:19 PM
It doesn't have to be wool, just something with substance (warm with some loft) but not to heavy I would prefer natural fibers but a blend would be OK. I am really wide open for suggestions, I want her to love it.
The only thing wool I tried on her was a pair of socks made from Heart and Sole and she thinks they itch but will wear them over tights or if it is really cold.