PDA

View Full Version : Dang Old Age

saracidaltendencies
05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
lol...Ok, well, I'm not really THAT old, I'll be 32 later this month, but, I sure have aches and pains as if I were older than I am...I really think I have arthritis in my knees, and, it seems to be forming in my right elbow now as well. I've had the knee pain (and knee popping) for some time now; it started with my right knee and gradually became both knees. Within the past month is when I noticed it effecting my right elbow.

Oh, and a new knee symptom is a hot/burning feeling just above my knees...fun, fun!

As most anyone with arthritis (or arthritic symptoms) knows, when the weather changes, and before it rains, the pain becomes intense...It seems it's worsening with me each year.

Basically I was just wondering if anyone with the same problem/s could tell me what the best pain medicine is for this? I've seen commercials for Aleve, does that help a lot? I've used Ibuprofen but it seems to work only occasionally.

Thanks!

suzeeq
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Pain is our body's way of telling us there's a problem and you may not have arthritis. Your knees may be giving you a problem due to tight leg muscles, see about how to relax them rather than take a pain reliever. A 15 or 30 minute massage can help, or soaking in a tub with epsom salts. Acupuncture is really good at relieving pain, sometimes permanently, and can help rebalance your body.

Jan in CA
05-07-2009, 01:33 PM
I had to laugh when I saw that it was you posting and the title. :lol: Pain is never amusing though. :(

I have arthritis in my cervical spine (neck) and I gotta tell you that burning/hot is not a symptom as far as I know or have ever heard. I'd suggesting going to a doctor if at all possible.

lelvsdgs
05-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I had to laugh when I saw that it was you posting and the title. :lol: Pain is never amusing though. :(

I have arthritis in my cervical spine (neck) and I gotta tell you that burning/hot is not a symptom as far as I know or have ever heard. I'd suggesting going to a doctor if at all possible.

I would have to agree about the burning pain. I have arthritis in both knees, ankles and now my hips. What I notice most is the joint pain and swelling, feeling like you can't bend your knees all the way.

I agree, you should see a doctor because it might be something else that could be "cured". As for pain meds, I take pretty large doses of Ibuprofen and that works but it's really hard on your kidneys and your liver.

Crycket
05-07-2009, 07:50 PM
These days I have been using eccentially T1's...or 222's or what ever you want to call em...tylonol with codeine...as long as I don't need them often...it works well enough...

But yeah...ultimatly...the doctor is the best option...

Ingrid
05-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't know if it's a problem where you live, but whenever anyone has joint pain around here, they are tested for Lyme's disease. If it's at all possible, have it checked out.

jheatherley
05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Have you given any thought to seeing a doctor? Self-diagnosis is not always wise. And the OTC cure that works well for another may be disastrous for you.

saracidaltendencies
05-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I thought about it, but, I have no faith in my doctor...well, most doctors...He'd probably tell me again I have allergies :roflhard:

It's weird for me though because I only experience the pain when the weather changes...I knew, the minute I woke up yesterday, the weather would be bad...The weather was awesome yesterday for a while...A bit warm but sunny and breezy, it was wonderful...However, my knees were KILLING me...Sure enough, about 9:00 last night we started getting lightning followed shortly by a big 'ol thunderstorm....Usually, after the rain, my knees feel better...But, last night, they didn't...Woke up today and it was raining again, pretty hard at times then eventually it cleared up...My knees feel fine now and it's bright and sunny outside...

The reason I'm leaning towards arthritis is because it runs rampant in my family on my mom's side...My grandma has it really bad in her knees...Also, my younger sister is being tested for different types of arthritis because of symptoms she's been experiencing for a while now...They ruled out Lupus and Rheumatoid but they want to do more testing on her...And, she's only...um...lol...28 or 29. She has more outward symptoms than I do...Her fingers are starting to look weird (kind of like twisting) and she's lost a TON of weight without trying...I'm wondering if what I feel with the weather changing is an indication I will develop arthritis in my knees, or, if I'm in the very early stages of arthritis.

Plus, I don't really have the money to see a doctor...We're already behind on co-pays and bills for visits that were uninsured so unless my head is half severed from my shoulders, I don't think I'll be visiting a dr. any time soon :teehee:

kbagel
05-08-2009, 06:08 PM
It could be anything. When I was in high school I swam competitively and didn't really do much cross training. On top of everything I swam the butterfly so I didn't even really use my leg muscels other than my hips, butt, and thigh. My junior and senior year of high school I started having really bad knee pains and sometimes if I bent over the wrong way my left knee especially would pop out. The 4th time it happened I went to the dr who sent me to an ortho and got x-rays and the whole thing. As it turns out, in my knees, the muscles and ligaments that join all of bones were weak. I was even able to push my kneecap around, like side to side and up and down. It was pretty gross but I never realized that I wasn't supposed to be able to do that. Exercise honestly, really helped. I started walking and doing yoga and gradually jogging and now running and I don't have any pain in my knees. I still do yoga though too.

Obviously, go see a doctor, but my point was it could be something really easy to fix in the big scheme of things.

suzeeq
05-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Just because your sister was negative for lupus or RA doesn't mean you are too. When the weather changes, the drop or raise in barometric pressure affects the fluids in our bodies, which is why you experience worse systems when a storm goes through. Yoga is really good for increasing flexibility of the entire body; the poses are good stretches and it can also increase the strength of weak muscles.

MrsWildchild
05-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I know what you mean. Well, I don't have pain exactly, but I'm well over 30.5, and I can feel myself aging, whether it be digestive changes or fatigue from a day of work, or exaggeration of common illnesses like the stomach flu, or whatever.

As for your condition, I agree that burning is an odd symptom that may indicate something different. As a pharmacist, I can tell you that Aleve and ibuprofen are in the same family, that is, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), so you may or may not get better relief from the Aleve. But all NSAIDs have the main disadvantage of being hard on your stomach (ulcers, etc.) when used long-term. You may be better off with acetaminophen or opioids (codeine, morphine, etc), or many of the other products available with a prescription. And if it turns out you have something like fibromyalgia (not that I think that you do, just that some of these weird conditions are treated with weird drugs), you'll probably be treated with something really wild, like some drugs that are traditionally used for seizures, depression, or newer versions that were specificially developed for "weird pains."

Here's hoping you feel better soon!

catlvr
05-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I have arthritis in both knees and sitting in one place for too long really makes the pain awful. Need to get up prn and walk around. I use Advil Liquid Gels and FlexAll 454 gel, works great. Doesn't smell real good when you first put it on, but the odor goes away quickly. My cats hate it LOL I got it at Walgreens. If you can get a generic brand with the same ingredients, it will be cheaper.

VictoiseC
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
In your 30s!!!! You're a baby! That's interesting what SuzieQ you said about tight muscles... I used to do Pilates but had to quit the club coz of $$ and man do I have tight legs now, which only fuels my ever present back pain.

That's amazing how in tune your body is with the weather...
I have a bad knee too now but not every day and it's nothing like my shoulder pain. (I also have two fingers that are starting to get crooked like my mum's did) My right shoulder kills me esp in the morning, it's unbelievable. I sooo do not want it to interfere with my knitting.

222s! Yup you Canadians get the right stuff. (I'm jumpin around her with my references as to who posted without copying...) We used to always stock up on those when we went up to Montreal/Quebec.

I've also heard that the best remedy for arthritis is exercise... just recently read an article on that. That's the problem though, now I'm suffering from pollen related allergies and can't go walk in the park! grrrrr

Mrs. WildChild... I'd like to ask you a question but I'll post it in a seperate thread.... if you have time...

suzeeq
05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Yep, if there's pain in a joint, it can be from the muscles above it being tight. The muscles are attached to the bones and if they're contracted, they pull on those bones and joints, causing pain.

saracidaltendencies
05-11-2009, 04:48 PM
In your 30s!!!! You're a baby!

:teehee:

Oh, that makes me feel soo good....Sometimes I sure don't feel like a baby though! LOL! Waking up with stiff, swollen hands and feet, an aching back and neck pain...hahaha...And, our mattress is only like 2 years old! We bought it brand new, a couple years ago, out of our tax return because our old bed was hurting my back so much but the new bed ain't no better! It's one of those memory foam mattresses...I totally do NOT recommend memory foam mattresses for anyone with a bad back!

I know most of my back pain stems from all the car accidents I have been in (and none were my fault!!! And, I was the driver in only 3 accidents...One I was hit by a drunk driver, another I was caught in a 5 car pile-up on the highway, and another I was stopped dead in traffic on the highway when this moron entering the highway thought it would be a swell idea to just fly on the entrance ramp, despite traffic NOT budging, and rear end me...not to mention the roughly 7 other accidents I've been in...lol)...So yeah, that's where the back problems stem from...I just got so totally off topic...lol...

But yeah, lots of all sorts of pain...lol...Really the knees aren't bad unless the weather is going to get bad...They get kind of achy sometimes but that's usually when I've been standing all day...When the weather is turning bad though, my knees KILL! Seems like the amount of pain also depends on how severe the storm...The other night when we had that bad storm, my knees hurt like never before...But, if it's a light rain, they ache but it's not unbearable...

Man, I'm really rambling on today! :teehee:

suzeeq
05-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Try acupuncture. It's great for pain, and other chronic problems.

Puddinpop
05-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I love Advil but, when they thought I had stomach ulcers, doc said no more aspirin. It is really bad for you. She said it wouldn't even be allowed if it was invented in today's time. I am on to Tylenol and although it doesn't work as well, it will do. If you get to where you can't get up from a squating position because of your knee, it might be fluid on the knee which will need draining. You will know it if you get it. No fun!