PDA

View Full Version : DH asked me to teach him to knit

pinktoque
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I asked DH at lunch today what he thinks I should knit for our dads for Father's Day. I'm trying to start ASAP because I was thinking a pair of socks for each, and with as slow and noobish as I am with socks, I wanted as much time as possible.

He suggested socks again and when I brought up my concern that I may not be able to get 4 whole socks done by the end of next month (I've only knit a single sock just past the heel turn so far -- so I know the basics and can do it, just not very experienced and worried about my speed), he proposed that I teach him how to knit, and together we'd knit our dad socks for Father's Day.

My jaw dropped.

He then said, "If your new needles (I *think* my KnitPicks nickel-plated interchangeable set will be waiting for me when I get home tonight, the tracking thing says "Out for delivery") are there when we get home tonight, maybe we can spend the evening with them and you can teach me how to cast on, knit and purl."

My jaw dropped again.

Not only does he want to spend the evening snuggled with me and my KP needles, he knew all of the basic terminology for the techniques he needs to know and wants to learn them!

*swoon* :inlove:

Dare I say my husband may turn into a knitter? :happydance:

My mind fast forwards to him having his own Ravelry account and uploading FO pictures and asking me what kind of yarn he should use for his next project. And shopping the LYS together. And how many more things we can knit for our future kiddos if there's two of us knitting for them...

I think I just died and went to heaven. cloud9

Do you think I can teach him magic loop? If we just start out with the basics on straights this evening and then get into magic loop -- perhaps if I found a good "man sock" pattern that is basic stockinette on something like size 5 needles with some slightly heavier (DK? worsted?) yarn than fingering weight this could work?

MrsWildchild
05-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm so jealous...

globaltraveler
05-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Sounds like a great time! Good luck, make it fun, make sure there's beer available, I'd go with worsted and a simple pattern so it's fast, and show him how to knit while swatching (and I'd just start on your straight swatch on the circulars), making sure he knows how important swatching is to the final product. Oh, and plenty of stories of how men used to be the knitters and weavers, fishermen with their nets, etc. :)

Mike
05-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Speaking of beer, beer cozies would be faster than socks.

Or you could make them each one sock and give them the second later.

margz3
05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
OMG - I am SO jealous! That is so cool for you! :happydance:

I keep suggesting it to my DH, but I just get that look :ick:

pinktoque
05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Speaking of beer, beer cozies would be faster than socks.

Or you could make them each one sock and give them the second later.

A beer cozy would work well for my dad, but my FIL doesn't drink. However, you just gave me a grand idea for a gift for hubby LOL <3

So... I wanted to update everyone on DH's progress. I am so proud! He really got into it and learned very quickly.

After some work in garter he wanted to attempt stockinette so I taught him to purl:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/pinktoque/fibrearts/lucas1.jpg

He did such a great job!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/pinktoque/fibrearts/lucas2.jpg

He even wanted to try my ball winder. *swoon*

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/pinktoque/fibrearts/lucas3.jpg

I am a lucky, lucky girl. I think tonight we'll play with circulars and I'll get into showing him how to alternate k and p for ribbing, since most sock patterns start with some form of ribbing on the cuff. I'm spending my down time at work searching for a good plain stockinette worsted (or DK) weight man's sock pattern to attempt magic loop style :) If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to shoot them my way! <3

margz3
05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Wow - looks like he is a really quick learner! Course, it could be the teacher :wink: Can you send him to my house and have him talk some (knitting) sense into my DH? I'll make sure we have beer...... :clink: :)

Jan in CA
05-08-2009, 12:26 PM
:thumbsup: I'm surprised more men don't knit really.

blessedtosew
05-08-2009, 12:35 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! You have to teach him. That is so sweet. :heart: That would be amazing if he learned and then the two of you could sit and knit together. :knitting: :guyknitting:

Mirl56
05-08-2009, 12:39 PM
What a cute knitter he is!

I think his being able to say to his Dad, "I knit this for you" is just adorable!!

pinktoque
05-08-2009, 02:08 PM
What a cute knitter he is!

I think his being able to say to his Dad, "I knit this for you" is just adorable!!

I know, right? At 30 years old he can't recall ever making anything for his dad, so he's rather excited at the prospect :)

@margz3 if there's beer, he'll be right over! LOL

<3 everyone

Jeremy
05-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Just a warning. My wife and I began to knit together and I am a way better knitter than she is;)

pinktoque
05-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Just a warning. My wife and I began to knit together and I am a way better knitter than she is;)

LOL! That's awesome. If he sticks with it and gets the practice in, I have no doubt that this could be true or possible -- he's much better at the math or engineering side than I am! :)

KnittedRose
05-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I taught DH how to knit ( at his request) about 2 years ago. I too was shocked at his request to learn. It happen one Sunday afternoon when i was watching "Knitty Gritty" on TV. It was a very beginner level project. I didn't even know he was paying attention to it, but when the show was over he said, "that knitting stuff sounds kind of fun, I wonder if I could learn it?" My reply to him was, "sure you can learn it, I'll teach you anytime you want to learn" His reply: "How about teaching me now?" I did and now we spend many evenings knitting. He made a beautiful felted crochet bag for our daughter for Christmas, marble bags for all the grandsons, and felted purses for the grand daughters. His latest project for me is a sweater. :)
He is blind, sometimes he needs my help, but all in all, he does very well. It's great to share my love of knitting with the man I love.

Mike
05-08-2009, 07:42 PM
:thumbsup: I'm surprised more men don't knit really.

I theorize that it's the name of the colors.
I have a scarf I crocheted in "Heather Gray", it should be "Gunmetal".
My sister taught me crochet over the phone and asked what color yarn I bought ... "Meat".

I envision a whole line of men's yarns. "Gunmetal Gray", "Gunmetal Blue", "Fresh Meat", "Motor Oil", "Pink Belly", etc.

When someone asks what color my niece's sweater is I'd much rather say "Pink Belly" than "Pink Blush".

When I started crochet I heard of a man who was ostracized out of a club because he was winning too much.

MrsWildchild
05-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I envision a whole line of men's yarns. "Gunmetal Gray", "Gunmetal Blue", "Fresh Meat", "Motor Oil", "Pink Belly", etc.

Clever!:rofl:

margz3
05-11-2009, 09:24 AM

When someone asks what color my niece's sweater is I'd much rather say "Pink Belly" than "Pink Blush".

Ya know Mike....that's actually a GREAT idea :wink:

thecanfield
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I am a guy knitter and have been knitting for almost 2 years now and unfortunately have passed up most every knitter I know. I used to go into the LYS and get thorough in-depth answers to my questions then answers slowing started changing to "um.. Come back on Tuesday and ask Rebecca, she would probably be able to help you" seems she is the only one in the store thatís as unique of a knitter as I am. Then I discovered twined knitting and now my answers are more like "I donít really know...give it a shot and we'll se how it comes out " hehe
But they are always very supportive and very help full.

Quite frequently both my girlfriend and I knit together while watching TV

Vertigo1414
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
my man watches my knit, and encourgaes me but his knowledge extendes to "so you poke that and loop stuff"....right honey poke and loop...:doh:

hookedonknitting
05-11-2009, 01:53 PM
LOL!! at least he is paying attention...mine asks me everyday what I am making..I only have one project on the go and it is the same everytime he asks!!

pinktoque
05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I theorize that it's the name of the colors.
I have a scarf I crocheted in "Heather Gray", it should be "Gunmetal".
My sister taught me crochet over the phone and asked what color yarn I bought ... "Meat".

LOL this is awesome :thumbsup:

thecanfield
05-11-2009, 02:27 PM
On that note... where would I look for RealTree colored yarn? hehe

Dutch
05-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Me and my wife knit together all the time and it's always time well spent.

Craw
05-11-2009, 02:53 PM
You guys who have hubbys that are interested in knitting are SO lucky! Just today my hubby looks at what I'm knitting (a tank top) and says "that looks so tedious and time consuming. why don't you just buy one?" I rolled my eyes and said: uuuuuuuh, why don't you just buy a clue cuz you ain't got one! :roflhard: He will never be a knitter because if he thinks it's tedious then he's missing the point. :knitting:

margz3
05-11-2009, 04:03 PM
You guys who have hubbys that are interested in knitting are SO lucky! Just today my hubby looks at what I'm knitting (a tank top) and says "that looks so tedious and time consuming. why don't you just buy one?" I rolled my eyes and said: uuuuuuuh, why don't you just buy a clue cuz you ain't got one! :roflhard: He will never be a knitter because if he thinks it's tedious then he's missing the point. :knitting:

That's pretty much my DH's attitude.....something in the RI water maybe? :wink: