PDA

View Full Version : Just so you know...

Lieuvena
05-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Just so you know...

If you're making a large batch of taco meat for your starving husband and 4 kids and you grab your cumin and dump a whole bunch of it in along with your other seasonings, only your cumin turns out to be cloves, no matter what you try to do to save it (because you are too cheap, I mean frugal) to throw it out. You will not, I repeat, will not be able to cover that up and turn it into something good! Don't try to force on upon your unsuspecting family and hope they won't notice. Save your self the time and looks of disapproval (from your poor family who just can't believe you would do that to them) and just dump it out and order pizza!

At least I assume this to be true...Because it would never happen to me!:rofl: :rofl:

Now, where is that pizza guy *looks out window*...I mean, Mmmm, tacos!

bambi
05-07-2009, 08:10 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Reminds me of the time I grabbed a bottle of liquid laundry detergent and threw it in a load of darks, only to realize that I dumped in BLEACH!!! Stupid, stupid, stupid me! :wall:

My mistake was much more expensive.

Bambi

auburnchick
05-07-2009, 08:18 PM
:roflhard:

Sometimes, nothing substitutes for experience, eh?

Once, I had the bright idea of juicing some squash...with my carrots...didn't want them to go bad. We all drank fresh carrot juice every day, so I didn't think anyone would notice.

Wrong-O. Nasty stuff, I tell you.

We still laugh about it today.

Gertie
05-08-2009, 12:15 AM
An elderly friend of mine made a cake for a church carry-in. She didn't understand why there was only one little piece taken till she got home and tried some. She used garlic oil instead of vegetable oil. She then decided that her eyesight was too far gone to bake anymore. She laughs about it now.

Crycket
05-08-2009, 07:59 AM
A friend of mine told me of her grandmother who never used a recipe for things...so when someone in the family asked for said recipe she scrawled it down in her chicken scratch...

The cake or cookie recipe called for a Pinch of salt, which the family member misread as Pint of Salt...and hilarity insued....

Craw
05-08-2009, 09:48 AM
What, you don't like cloves in your tacos? :roflhard: I've done similar things. When you switch out salt for sugar it tastes really nasty!!

newamy
05-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Once I sprinkled ground cloves in stead of cinnamon on my cream of wheat. It was terrible, I tried to eat it anyway, but couldn't.

ETA: Once my son was making brownies from a mix, I was supervising from afar. When I checked on the mix I discovered a terrible mistake: 2 CUPS of oil instead of 1/2 a cup. Had to toss the whole thing.

Lieuvena
05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Reminds me of the time I grabbed a bottle of liquid laundry detergent and threw it in a load of darks, only to realize that I dumped in BLEACH!!! Stupid, stupid, stupid me! :wall:

My mistake was much more expensive.

Bambi

I would have died. I don't think my cheap (I mean frugal) mind could nave handled that.

:roflhard:

Sometimes, nothing substitutes for experience, eh?

Once, I had the bright idea of juicing some squash...with my carrots...didn't want them to go bad. We all drank fresh carrot juice every day, so I didn't think anyone would notice.

Wrong-O. Nasty stuff, I tell you.

We still laugh about it today.

At least they laugh about it. Mine still aren't laughing! Maybe soon they will be over the scarring!:rofl:

An elderly friend of mine made a cake for a church carry-in. She didn't understand why there was only one little piece taken till she got home and tried some. She used garlic oil instead of vegetable oil. She then decided that her eyesight was too far gone to bake anymore. She laughs about it now.

eeew!

Lieuvena
05-08-2009, 11:49 AM
A friend of mine told me of her grandmother who never used a recipe for things...so when someone in the family asked for said recipe she scrawled it down in her chicken scratch...

The cake or cookie recipe called for a Pinch of salt, which the family member misread as Pint of Salt...and hilarity insued....

I once went to some friends house for a Thanksgiving meal. Their mom made a wonderful dinner, and then time came for dessert...Pumpkin Pie! Yeah, only she accidentally used salt instead of sugar. It was bad. We all spit it out. I felt really bad, she actually cried about it.

What, you don't like cloves in your tacos? :roflhard: I've done similar things. When you switch out salt for sugar it tastes really nasty!!

See above story!:rofl: As for the cloves in my tacos..you know it turns out that cloves don't really belong with chili powder, onions, garlic and such. They are not friends!

Once I sprinkled ground cloves in stead of cinnamon on my cream of wheat. It was terrible, I tried to eat it anyway, but couldn't.

ETA: Once my son was making brownies from a mix, I was supervising from afar. When I checked on the mix I discovered a terrible mistake: 2 CUPS of oil instead of 1/2 a cup. Had to toss the whole thing.

I might actually like cloves in my cream of wheat. Unless it was a lot. Cloves are definatley best in moderation! At least you discovered the brownie mistake before they were cooked, otherwise you would have to have eaten them! Motherly duty and all! I couldn't tell you the things my parents enjoyed (choked down) while I was growing up and learning to cook! My oldest is 7 and is beginning to want to try cooking. I'm sure I'm in for many treat! Especially if he pays attention as well as me!:roflhard:

saracidaltendencies
05-08-2009, 05:20 PM
:roflhard::roflhard:

You poor thing!!!

I had something kind of similar happen to me recently while cooking...well...TACOS! :teehee:

I use the Morningstar Crumbles (we're vegetarians...lol) and I season it with a bit of salt, pepper, and garlic...So, I salted, peppered, and GARLIC-ED it :teehee: I accidentally opened the "pour" side instead of "sift" side and began shaking away...It actually took me a second to realize so by the time I did, I had a MOUNTAIN of garlic poured on there...LOL! Well, being on a very tight budget, we had no option but to eat it anyway...lol...It wasn't disgusting, but man...And I like garlic! Whew, that was intense though!

Gertie
05-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I accidentally opened the "pour" side instead of "sift" side and began shaking away...

Reminds me of my time with seasoned salt. I was in a hurry. I opened the canister & didn't notice that the shaker top was in the lid. I went to shake & whoosh! My patient family still ate it tho. DH still remembers it.

linknit41
05-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I once sprinkled cinnamon on my dh's burger patty, instead of seasoned salt. Scraped off as much as i could, and sprinkled generously with seasoned salt. he could still taste it, but thought it was kinda funny. i have a rack with the seasonings, and cinnamon and seasoned salt are in the same size containers on the top row, one on the right end, one on the left end--and i just grabbed the wrong one. stuff like this happens more often when you get past65!! linknit41

Debkcs
05-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I've done the salt for sugar thing more than once . . . my family just laughs.

Ever just do stuff on automatic that you shouldn't have? I was cutting the kids meat up once, wasn't thinking, and cut my husband steak into kids size bites. He looked at me, said "It's time for me to take you out to dinner."

:cheering:

saracidaltendencies
05-08-2009, 10:04 PM
:teehee:

I think I may have previously mentioned this on here, but, one morning I was getting the kids their cereal...I had the cereal in the bowls, ready to pour the milk...I opened the fridge and usually the milk is right there in the front so I grabbed what was right there in the front...I unscrewed the cap and began to pour when I suddenly realized I was pouring soda into the cereal!!:roflhard: Luckily I realized pretty quickly so there wasn't much soda in the cereal...Does it make me terrible that instead of dumping the bowl and getting fresh I just added a bit more milk than normal??? hahaha...I would have gotten a new bowl but we were so low on cereal and it had to last the rest of the week...lol

cheley
05-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I always always unscrew the Red Pepper Flakes and pour....always always forgetting that all I have to do is flip the top open to sprinkle:whistle:

melmac51
05-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Just so you know...

If you're making a large batch of taco meat for your starving husband and 4 kids and you grab your cumin and dump a whole bunch of it in along with your other seasonings, only your cumin turns out to be cloves, no matter what you try to do to save it (because you are too cheap, I mean frugal) to throw it out. You will not, I repeat, will not be able to cover that up and turn it into something good! Don't try to force on upon your unsuspecting family and hope they won't notice. Save your self the time and looks of disapproval (from your poor family who just can't believe you would do that to them) and just dump it out and order pizza!

At least I assume this to be true...Because it would never happen to me!:rofl: :rofl:

Now, where is that pizza guy *looks out window*...I mean, Mmmm, tacos!

As a newlywed (almost 31 years ago), I tried to make French Onion Soup. Followed the recipe to a tee...but it just didn't taste like anything. So, I added salt, and then a little more, and then a little more. I hadn't thought about the broth evaporating. It was saltier than the Dead Sea!! :aww:

Another time, I tried to fry oysters. I didn't know that you only fry them for a few seconds per side. I fried them for 20 minutes/side. They were like rocks. Our dogs couldn't even eat them!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: