PDA

View Full Version : Yarn/thread question/pics added post 9

crocee
05-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Today at the thrift shop I picked up 2 cones of what looks like knitting machine wool yarn/thread. Can I use this for hand knitting socks or other light weight items? It feels like it might be fingerling weight. I will post a picture as soon as I can. For a $1.50 a cone I didn't think I could go wrong even if I couldn't use it. Its in a variegated green color and is on wood and possibly metal cones. I also picked up a bunch of sweaters to unravel for the wool yarn for a buck a piece.

suzeeq
05-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Yes, you could use coned yarn, WEBS even sells it. It's usually a light fingering (no l) weight or heavy lace and could be used for a lot of things.

mathwizard
05-08-2009, 08:05 AM
I was at Webs recently and they have beautiful yarns. The coned material can be used for sweaters and if you crochet it can be used for that also. I do both and was looking for some green rayon/cotton yarn on a cone but couldn't match my yarn I wanted to work it with. Their warehouse yarns are gorgeous. Don't have very much for notions but lots of knitting needles, good selection of patterns and LOTS of yarn in the store and warehouse area. I spent a lot of time in the warehouse. I was there with a bunch of ladies from a needlecraft guild and one who goes to my LYS knitting night. Only four of us from the knitting group went and they has as fun oohing and ahhing as I did!!!!:)

crocee
05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
The cone on this thread/yarn is weird and I can't find anything about it. The cone is wood on the top and bottom and has scalloped edges. The bottom of the cone had a slit/groove cut into it across the base. The bottom end also has a groove about 3/8 of an inch up and all the way around it. It almost looks like some sort of bobbin. I can't see the whole thing since there is yarn covering it. The center hole in the cone is approximately 1". Does anyone know what type of cone this is? The inside portion seems to be made of metal or very hard plastic. I don't see/feel any type of cardboard/paper at all.

suzeeq
05-08-2009, 08:27 AM
It likely is a bobbin; coned yarn is usually used for machine knitting, but can be used for hand knitting as well. Sometimes they re-cone yarn so if there's anything written on the inside of it, it may or may not pertain to the yarn that's wrapped around the outside.

crocee
05-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I will try to get a picture of it so maybe someone can explain exactly what it is. IF it is a bobbin, what kind of bobbin is it?

margz3
05-08-2009, 09:04 AM
I was at Webs recently and they have beautiful yarns. The coned material can be used for sweaters and if you crochet it can be used for that also. I do both and was looking for some green rayon/cotton yarn on a cone but couldn't match my yarn I wanted to work it with. Their warehouse yarns are gorgeous. Don't have very much for notions but lots of knitting needles, good selection of patterns and LOTS of yarn in the store and warehouse area. I spent a lot of time in the warehouse. I was there with a bunch of ladies from a needlecraft guild and one who goes to my LYS knitting night. Only four of us from the knitting group went and they has as fun oohing and ahhing as I did!!!!:)

:mrgreen: I SO want to take a road trip to Webs!! Your description just makes me want to go even more :teehee: I have even mapquested the distance from work, to Webs to home.....ya know, stop in "on the way home" :rofl:

suzeeq
05-08-2009, 09:26 AM
For a knitting machine. Whether a home or commercial one, I'm not sure, haven't seen many.

crocee
05-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I took a few pictures of the yarn and its bobbin/spool/cone. I also took measurements. The spool is 7" tall. top is 1 7/8" dia, bottom is 3 7/8" dia, there is a outer hole that is 1 5/8" dia with the inner hole for the shaft/pin that is 7/8" dia. I hope this along with the pictures will make it make sense.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/majakdragon/knitting/PICT0611.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/majakdragon/knitting/PICT0612.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/majakdragon/knitting/PICT0613.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/majakdragon/knitting/PICT0614.jpg

linknit41
05-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Uh,what it Webs ,WEBS.? haven't heard of it before---linknit41

suzeeq
05-08-2009, 07:40 PM
WEBS is yarn.com. They have pretty good yarn prices and if you're in MA, they have store/warehouse you can lose yourself in for days....

Lucy78green
05-09-2009, 03:17 PM
why don't you wrap some of the yarn around a ruler and see how many wraps per inch you get, that'll give you a rough idea of the weight.