PDA

View Full Version : Help makeing/finding pattern

Vertigo1414
05-08-2009, 04:15 AM
I have a great idea to make a scarf with the Boston Red Sox "B" logo on either end, but i'm a very novice knitter and don't even know where to begin in trying to make it. can anyone with more skill than me offer any help?

Ingrid
05-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Your best bet is to do the B using intarsia--where you change colors using a separate strand for each section (rather than stranding where you carry it across the back.) Amy has video here under two-color knitting in the advanced section. There are also sites that you can google and are dedicated to intarsia.

The back of an intarsia scarf is kind of messy, though, so I'd suggest doubling it and then sewing up the long side. It will make a very thick scarf, but in Boston, that could be a good thing!

margz3
05-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Funny, I just started making a coaster with the B logo! I'm going to try it with the Celts, Bruins and Pats too :) Only thing is this is basically my first attempt at intarsia and I'm finding that it is pulling where all the carrying is going on. I think I may be pulling a little too snug when I carry the yarn in the back. Plus I'm using really cheap acrylic yarn and I don't think that is helping (but I figured it was best to "experiment" with that)

Anyhow, you can create a chart using this site http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/ and uploading a graphic. I actually used it as a sort of template, but didn't like how the color variations came out in the graph, so I converted it to a graph in excel.

Now, after I did that, I read that knitting graph paper is more rectangular in shape due to the way SS sts are wider than tall, and my chart is in squares, so I think I may need to tweak my graph - there are places where my color change is only one st and I think it may be better with two, etc. but I figure I will finish the square I am working on and see what the FO looks like and take it from there.

I wish I was more experienced with this type of knitting - I'd feel much more comfortable "designing" the chart if I was! I guess it's going to be truely a WIP!