PDA

View Full Version : what is your favourite thing to knit?

AH1OZ
05-09-2009, 08:24 AM
i love scarves... i love to wear them (and with the winters in canada i need to wear them)

plus you can whip one up in a few days... i like things i can use quickly

mwhite
05-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Lace! I am hopelessly enthralled by it and especially when it's lace knitted in the round!!!

Plantgoddess+
05-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Socks, socks, and more socks! I like lace socks, basic socks and cabled socks. I like making something that I can use every day and that don't take that long to make.

Mirl56
05-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Socks. Love the wearability, usefulness & ease of getting proper size of them.

Sweaters take too long and for me at least are harder to get a good fit.

cindycactus
05-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Love knitting socks. They relaxe me and I can wear them too. Then next mittens and hats for northern relatives. No need for them in Florida. :knitting:

Arielluria
05-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Dog Sweaters!!!!!!! :woot:And it's what got me addicted to knitting!:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/2817895009_8a8e21d8fc.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1271/1344065998_67cd8c8710.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3558/3441220585_726d87e2e0.jpg

sgtpam
05-09-2009, 10:34 AM

That is one well dressed dog! I put a coat on my Shebah once and she looked up at me with this pitiful look and said "you're kidding...right":roflhard:

Mike
05-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Baby sweaters. 1-2 weeks and you have a sweater.

That is one well dressed dog! I put a coat on my Shebah once and she looked up at me with this pitiful look and said "you're kidding...right":roflhard:
Same with my Springer, except I don't need to waste my time knitting one. He acts hot no matter what the weather is.

Jan in CA
05-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Hmm...this is kind of a tough question for as I haven't settled on one favorite yet. I think I could get into sweaters though..I've got 3 on the needles. :teehee:

MoniDew
05-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Although I love to knit many things (lace, shawls, socks, etc) I WEAR sweaters the most, and therefore knit them the most. And I knit them for others the most as well. So, it must be sweaters...

globaltraveler
05-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Basically the project that I've fallen in love with most recently, whatever it is! I've been trying to only work on projects that I really love in fibers that I adore.

gingerbread
05-09-2009, 04:42 PM
I do like making socks but I am in a shawl mood right now. I have at three at the moment on the needles. Two are just regular knit shawls and the other is a lace. I love knitting lace but it does kill my hands. So that one is the one taking the longest right now.

pinktoque
05-09-2009, 04:45 PM
toques (hats) are my absolute favorite thing to knit, especially in the round :)

chj
05-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Anything I don't have to sew together! Love to do scarves, baby blankets, and especially the log cabin blankets.

Ullis
05-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Socks, socks and more socks. Now Im trying to learn how to knit lace socks and have almost finished my first pair.

Jenelle
05-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I have two projects that I love to knit. Hats used to be my primary source of knitting, I'd have one on the needles at all times. I used to make up my own designs. Now it's socks. Any yarn that I can find thin enough in my stash gets made into socks. Plain knit socks, socks with cables, socks with lace... Any way I can get them made without the monotony of plain stockinette. :teehee:

mollypop
05-10-2009, 03:23 PM
I love knitting dishclothes the're so easy and fast and cute!

stitchabit
05-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Well. Being that I am very new to knitting- I would have to say dishcloths- and I have knit many-they are quick and finished in no time. I like to crochet and have knit a couple of baby blankets- getting ready to start a new one for the Linus project. Tried a sweater-would love to be able to knit one-but after the frustration of tearing :frog: it out several times :passedout: and cursing from here to Maine :thud: I have given up on that idea for now. I have some yarn I would like to use for a scarf. Do any of you have a quick and easy pattern for a scarf? The yarn is blue - worsted weight- for a teenage boy-maybe girl.

Gertie
05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Helmetliners for the troops. I also like the idea of someone wearing one of mine & knowing that people back home truly care. A bit of a hug.

I also like to knit little fishies for my tessellating fish afghan.

jcmom
05-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Interesting question.......for a fast satisfying project, I'd say Fiber Trends clogs are my fav. I like socks, but by the end of a pair I say I won't do any for a long time. Then, before I know it, I'm making more. Baby clothes are fun because they're quick and use a relatively small amt. of yarn. Sometimes I just want something to do so I make up a dishcloth. I guess it depends of my mood and the purpose of the knit. Not too thrilled with seaming, but I've made sweaters.
:knitting: Pretty much, I've done it all.

margz3
05-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I like variety! But I tend toward smallish projects. I like the more instant gratification and get bored if I am working on one project for too long.....especially if it is a very basic pattern.

blessedtosew
05-11-2009, 09:48 AM
I am a new knitter only working on my third project, but liked knitting the hat I did. I am doing another hat now. I don't even wear hats, but maybe I will this winter since I have put so much time into them.

blessedtosew
05-11-2009, 09:50 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/2817895009_8a8e21d8fc.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1271/1344065998_67cd8c8710.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3558/3441220585_726d87e2e0.jpg

Those doggies are ADORABLE:muah: . I wish my two mini dachshunds would wear sweaters, but we didn't start them young enough. If you put one on them now, they look at you like they are being abused, so I just don't make them.

tlk
05-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I love to knit hat/scarf/fingerless gloves sets, although it is hard to find all in a matching set. They are small, quick and give me a sense of accomplishment, which is a very good thing to a new knitter :happydance: . I have also become a huge felted bag fan...can't get enough!

I love the dog sweaters by the way, I have a 160lb, and still growing, English Mastiff, would take me a while, lol.

pinktoque
05-11-2009, 02:26 PM
I like variety! But I tend toward smallish projects. I like the more instant gratification and get bored if I am working on one project for too long.....especially if it is a very basic pattern.

You just summed me up perfectly!

Dutch
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
It's too close to call between Gansey Sweaters and socks. I usually have one of each going at the same time.

sakura-panda
05-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm still experimenting. :thumbsup:

So far I've made three scarves and a baby hat and I have a blanket and another baby hat on the needles. I like to do dishclothes and I have a whole list of other things to try (like the Feb, April and May KALs. :lol:)

Also, I got into knitting because I wanted to make myself scarves and sweaters and I haven't done either yet. :roflhard:

From what I've made so far, I'm still looking for a favorite. :eyebrow:

Jeremy
05-11-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm addicted to buying sock yarn but I always seem to be diverted. I really like knitting lace. a close second is hats of all types.

Jane Untangled
05-12-2009, 05:48 AM
I absolutely love to knit anything that doesn't require a chart or row counter. Knitting for me must be relaxing, non-judgemental and intuitive!

Firey Vixxen
05-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I absolutely love to knit anything that doesn't require a chart or row counter. Knitting for me must be relaxing, non-judgemental and intuitive!

I Agree. Anything I can Zen to, I love. Although Garter Scarfs drive me up the wall halfway through (What, you're still not finished? What's wrong with you? :hair: )

MerigoldinWA
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I like making baby things about the best--sweaters, hats and other things for babies. The baby projects give you a lot of room to experiment with ideas and see them come to fruition quickly. I also like other small projects like adult hats, fingerless gloves. Socks not so much.

Sunshine's Mom
05-12-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm a sock junkie too. Love 'em. Can't get enough of them. And, thanks to Ladyfyrelight, I just learned how to do toe-up. I feel like such a genius every time I turn a heel and that's what makes me love socks. Besides, last year I made an agreement with myself that I would only have one object on the needles at one time. No multiple projects if I could help it. And I've been doing pretty good. Socks are done in no time so I always seem to be casting on, which is very satisfying.

I have made one sweater for myself too. But, it just takes so long and costs so much in yarn to make one that I stay away from sweaters.

MiniatureKnitter
05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
I like knitting miniature things (obviously :lol: )

I also like knitting things inspired by movies, books, ect.

knittingymnast
05-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Socks, socks, and more socks! I like lace socks, basic socks and cabled socks. I like making something that I can use every day and that don't take that long to make.

I was gonna say that EXACT same thing!

threesmom
05-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I love sweaters. I love to wear them, love to watch them grow, and love to see my kids in them. Short sleeve, long sleeve, cardigans ... and the best is if it's seamless too! It's so rewarding. Plus, it helps me justify my yarn purchases to dh - it's going to be clothes ... someday.;)

Socks and blankets would be close seconds though ...

ArtLady1981
05-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Sweaters!

Vertigo1414
05-13-2009, 03:34 PM
at the moment i'm in to blankets and small bags, no real shaping...nice and easy.

Raven Fyre
05-13-2009, 06:58 PM
The first thing I ever knitted were scarves and coasters (basicly tenion squares) I also like doing bibs. But if its easy and quick I'm sold lol. I love knitting stuff that people will use. Call me old fashioned if you will but I'd rather make a gift then buy. So alot of family members get scarves for the holidays but with Canadian winters it works out I guess lol.

purplravioli
05-13-2009, 09:36 PM
hats hats hats hats!

So easy and quick, and so many different styles to choose from.

lulubell
05-14-2009, 04:40 PM
I think I go through phases of addiction to different things. A while ago I could have clothed half of Kaitaia's babies with matinee jackets, bootees and bonnets, then not long after that it was knitted lace on tiny needles, later scarves but only to get rid of some not very beautiful aged handspun and just since Dec it is socks socks socks. But I do feel a sweater or two coming on!