PDA

View Full Version : Oh my gosh, what a steal!

AngieLanigan
05-09-2009, 10:55 AM
:woohoo:

I just got home from my local Michaels. I stop in once a week or so to see if they've redone the yarn dept yet. Well, just this morning, they priced a huge bin of yarn at 99 cents a skien! And while the top layer was all eyelash acrylic type stuff, one I dug down a bit I hit paydirt! I bought $198 worth of yarn for.... wait for it.... $36 :woohoo:

I got 6 skiens of Lion Brand Homespun to make a throw, and the rest of it was Patons Pure Wool, a few mohair, and a ton of Bernat Cashmere Blends.

They also had a ton of CottonEase and Kroy Sock yarns, but I needed to buy groceries so I had to restrain myself :roflhard:

Man, do I ever get a rush from a good deal! LOL

sgtpam
05-09-2009, 10:59 AM
:cheering:
Wow! great find. What a way to start a weekend...how will you ever get any chores done:roflhard:

hookedonknitting
05-09-2009, 12:00 PM
I am not sure about other Michaels but mine is haveing a 20% off everything sale ( incl. sale items) from 9 am- 1 pm!!

Jan in CA
05-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Whoa... I should head over there today! :thumbsup:

cresmoon
05-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Sounds like all your locations are finally prepping for their new expanded yarn section. There should be tons of clearance sales coming to all the Michael's locations soon, if they're not already there. (Though my store still hasn't started any major clearancing yet...)

pinktoque
05-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I went today because I had the 20% off coupon from your entire order between 9am - 1pm. I didn't see a huge clearance bin like the OP mentioned, but I did get a good deal on my yarn.

I asked a sales associate who was working in the yarn aisle today about the new section and he said they have received some new things in the back, but they are waiting until it's ALL there so they can set up/stock the new yarn section all at one time instead of in pieces. Makes sense.

Also he said there would be lots of new yarn specially for Michaels. He went over to ask his manager while I was there for a better idea of when this would all take place, and he came back and told me that she said end of May.

:)

blessedtosew
05-09-2009, 06:12 PM
YEA!!! I love a good sale find. I am going to Michael's next week so hopefully I will hit a good sale.

knittingymnast
05-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Whoa... I should head over there today! :thumbsup:

Oh, me too!

bambi
05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
You hit the jackpot!!! I'm going to have to head over to my Michael's and check things out.

Bambi

margz3
05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Ka-ching! You sure did hit paydirt!! Drat....shoulda gone to Michaels the other day instead of AC Moore - and I almost did :p

hookedonknitting
05-11-2009, 12:18 PM
hehe...I just bought 4 skeins on pattons wool, 4 skeins of cashmere one of silk, and one other one and spent 12.50 cdn. It would have cost less if I had remembered my coupon....oh well....my only complaint was that i didn't know knitters shop in the morning and I went in the afternoon!!! I guess that was the fates way of telling me not to shop too much!! LOL!

sakura-panda
05-11-2009, 01:56 PM
That's an awesome deal! :yay:

I went to my Michael's Saturday evening to buy some Mod Podge and happened to wander by the yarn section. (The store is set up so that the craft glue is on the side closest to the cash registers and the yarn is in the back of the store on the opposite side. I must have gotten lost. :teehee:)

There weren't any sales and just a few items on clearance. All of the bins were full except for one vertical rack on each side of the aisle -- the yarn section is both sides of one full aisle -- and there were signs all over advertising the new yarn "coming soon".

I almost picked up some yarn, but it was still more than I wanted to spend since I am the rare kind of knitter that doesn't like to have a stash. :eyes: Maybe if DH and the kids hadn't been waiting for me out in the car (I ran in for one thing!) I might have spent more time considering what I could do with a skein or two of new yarn. :eyebrow:

AngieLanigan
05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Well, we had a big cheque come in today (my pension money from the job I left to SAH)... it's mostly being used on renovations, but since I worked for 8 years to accumulate that money, I figured I could spend a bit on myself :mrgreen:

I went back into Michaels, and while a lot of the bin was gone since I was there on Saturday, almost all of the fun fur type stuff was gone and there was still a ton of the good natural fiber blend stuff left. I couldn't believe it. I spent another $42, bringing my grand total to .....

$378 worth of yarn for $78 :thud:

Suziblues
05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
ME TOO!!!!! I BOUGHT 11 SKIENS OF BERNAT CASHMERE, COLOR: NATURAL, 2 SKIENS OF GREY AND 1 SKIEN OF SOY YARN AND SOME OTHER STUFF!!!!!!!!!!
I want to go back so bad and get the Grace yarn and the rest of the Cashmere in this beautiful light blue color they have. But I gotta pay the STUPID bills with the money I have left.

For all you Michigan knitters, I live in Fraser. The Michaels I went to is at 13 mile and Scheonerr. (there goes all the good stuff probably!!)

Quiltlady
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Gee..I rarely even shop at Michael's. I think I will have to reconsider. I usually buy most of my yarns online or at Joanns or ACMoore. The Michael's is farther away but still not bad. I may check it out tomorrow.

Suziblues
05-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I forgot to say that while I was piling up all that yarn in my shopping basket, I did notice some new yarn. It was a 'Michaels' brand yarn, but I didn't look at what it was made from or anything. I'm pretty sure it was acrylic.

Shandeh
05-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Yay! Congratulations on your great yarn deal!
:woohoo: :woohoo:

cresmoon
05-11-2009, 11:26 PM
If you want to go, go FAST! I worked today and saw a bunch of good yarn on 99 cent clearance, including Patons Merino wool yarn and Lion Brand wool-ease thick and quick! I'm so mad I didn't go earlier to check it out because some of the colors of yarn I wanted are now completely gone.

wezyus
05-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Wowwwwwww's u r alls so lucky dear...u got got many types n brands of yarn...whereas at may place we got only mirage for baby and doudle knit n hastek, we did hve threads such as DMC, anchor cotton n mercerised perle... we dont get many colors for mercerised only white n off white .....thnks for sharing ur happiness n kip on smiling n enjoy ur knitting sessions

Craw
05-12-2009, 11:54 AM
You guys all got great deals! I was at my Michaels on Friday of last week. There wasn't much in the 99 cent bin but I did manage to get a few skeins of Vanna's Choice. It was pretty much already picked over. One of you crazy ladies must have gotten there before me. ;) I was really looking for the Patons wool but that wasn't on sale, I checked. It was still regular price. I passed the store again yesterday and wanted to check back in but hubby was with me and didn't wanna take the time to stop. What a fuddy-duddy.

pinktoque
05-12-2009, 04:35 PM
You guys are all so lucky! I am wondering if perhaps they are not having a $0.99 deal at the two Michaels near me because I'm in Canada and you're in the U.S.? Just a guess -- but I haven't seen any clearance stuff like that here! :(

hookedonknitting
05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
No, I am in Canada! But there was no bins- just shelf tickets changed. There also wasn't much left when I got there!

AngieLanigan
05-12-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm in Canada! New Brunswick. Over the last couple of months, there've been a few yarns here and there marked down in the aisle. It was only Saturday morning that they filled the bin and marked the whole lot down to 99 cents. I just happened to luck out and show up just a few hours after they'd marked it all down.

yarncharmer
05-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for posting this (I think). I don't go to Michael's all that often because it's on the other side of town, but I decided to check it out today - I got a ton of Bernat Cashmere for 99 cts each, along with some Bernat Satin Sport, also 99 cts. All very pretty colors - now to decide what to do with it :happydance:

Oh, and someone working there said they should have it all re-set with the new yarns next week. :cheering:

sgtpam
05-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Wish I'd gotten there sooner. But, I did get a little bit today..........left there only $12.00 lighter. Color doesn't show very good...the bernat satin is plum, a very pretty shade:yay:

The needles are the kind that light up...couldn't resist and the other is a knitting spool. I saw a bunny pattern made from this and had it on my list of toys to make...:knitting:

Vertigo1414
05-17-2009, 11:32 PM
i don't normally shop at michael's, ac moore is closer to me, but there's one near my boyfriend's house and i'm glad i went! $11.01 and i got 2 spools of ribbon for the drawstrings on my christmas bags, 2 skeins of lion cupcake, 2 bernat cashmere, 2 caron simply soft baby, 2 bernat baby (in super fine), and vanna's choice baby. since when does vanna white have a yarn? my boyfriend though i was crazy to be so happy about the yarn, he just doesn't understand...