PDA

View Full Version : Need pattern help

TooCircular
05-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Would like to make this super scrubber, but I don't understand a few things. Here is a link:

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/featured/p118020.shtml

Instructions
RND 1: Ch10. Join w/slst to first ch to form ring. (Ch5, slst in 5th ch from hook, 5 times. [five ch5 picots made]

I get that you chain five and slip stitch in the fifth ch from hook,
but then I'm wondering where the next chain five goes. Do I skip a stitch?

then it says:

Notice you have 5 picots with a base space in each one. You will now work in those base spaces will be referred to as pbsp--"picot base space".

Where is the base space? Then it says:

Sk first pbsp, slst in next pbsp. Ch5, slst in 5th ch from hook. Slst in next pbsp. Ch5. Slst in 5th ch from hook. etc etc.

Wouldn't this end up looking more like a flower than a flat piece?
I've tried fooling with it, but can't get it to look like the picture.

Thanks for your help,
Jan

MGM
05-09-2009, 10:59 PM
That's a pretty cool looking design. I'd love to help you figure it out, but I'm not really that good with words for something like this. However, if you don't mind waiting a few days, I would be happy to do a video showing how to make this pattern and post it on my website (http://www.HookedOnNeedles.com) so you can stitch along with me.

Just reply here and let me know if that is something you think might be helpful.

MGM

TooCircular
05-10-2009, 08:41 AM
That would be wonderful, Mary. Thanks! I thought it was a cool looking design too, but I just got hung up in a few spots. I'm looking forward to your video! Thanks for taking the time to make it! :)

Jan

mathwizard
05-10-2009, 09:46 AM
RND 1: Ch10. Join w/slst to first ch to form ring. (Ch5, slst in 5th ch from hook,from this position you ch5 and repeat what you just did and you have a string of picot stitches. 5 times. [five ch5 picots made] Notice you have 5 picots with a base space the base space is the hole formed when you do the slst in each one. You will now work in those base spaces will be referred to as pbsp-- "picot base space". Sk first pbsp, slst in next pbsp. Ch5, slst in 5th ch from hook. Slst in next pbsp. Ch5. Slst in 5th ch from hook. Slst in next pbsp. Notice you now do a sc back in the ring you made and repeat the string of picot sts 19 more times.Sc in ch10 ring.) Rep bet () 19 times more. Join w/slst to base of first picot. Fasten off, weave ends into back of work.
I hope this helps. I did do a few picot chains as I call them and it started to look like the scrunchie.

MGM
05-10-2009, 12:13 PM
That would be wonderful, Mary. Thanks! I thought it was a cool looking design too, but I just got hung up in a few spots. I'm looking forward to your video! Thanks for taking the time to make it! :)

Jan

Great Jan! I'm happy to do it! If I get some quiet time this afternoon or tomorrow, I'll do the taping, then it will be another day or so to edit it and get it posted. I'm sure other people will be interested in actually seeing how this is done.

MGM

TooCircular
05-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Mathwizard, thank you. I guess when I first read the pattern, I kept thinking that you had to dive back into the ch10 ring in order to start the next chain 5. Didn't occur to me that you could just make a string of picot stitches. Duh! Whoever said "trust the pattern" was right!! Anyway, I totally get it now. Appreciate you taking the time to explain it all step by step. :hug:

Have a great week, and thanks again,

Jan

mathwizard
05-11-2009, 07:44 AM
I discovered after many years of crocheting that the author of a pattern words things her way. If you follow what they write word for word even though you might not find it the easiest way you will not go wrong. Occasionally I find mistakes in patterns and just correct them but wording is tricky. Sometimes you need to read ahead to see what is happening. Good Luck and help is only a post away!

MGM
05-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Jan, I'm so glad that Mathwizard was able to explain this to your satisfaction. I did make on of these yesterday to try out the pattern, and I will still make the video and post it on my website as I think it will be helpful for others as well. I am going out of town for a few days later this week so I don't think I will be able to get it done before I go. It is definitely on my list and I am looking forward to doing it.

BTW, that was a fun little project and it turned out so cool! Don't think I like working with that nylon yarn though....OUCH! I guess that's why it makes a good scrubbie!

MGM

OffJumpsJack
05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Oh, drat! MathWizard beat me to the answer. :nails: ;)

I was just going to say the ch5 picots were making a spoke or ray like line out from the ring then you work in between them on the way back to the ring and reconnect with a sc. Pattern calls for 20 spokes working in the ch10 ring before sl st join to the bottom of the first spoke.

I encountered this pattern before but skipped the details as I wasn't interested in making a dish scrubber. :think: It is an interesting departure from the back and forth or in the round designs typical in crochet.
:eyebrow2:

TooCircular
05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Mary Grace, I visited your website and loved it!! Would you mind if I recommended your site in the Sticky for Free Pattern Links? It's a link I'm definitely going to bookmark. There are great ideas for different stitches to use in a baby blanket (the Hurdle stitch, etc.,) and so very timely b/c our group is going to make a baby blanket comprised of individual blocks and we needed ideas for different stitches. Thanks!

I definitely was having a senior moment on the scrubbie pattern. Can't believe I didn't "get it". But yeah,
it probably will be a good one to put on your website. Would still love to see it. As far as the plastic canvas yarn goes, I've never used it. Went to JoAnn's yesterday to purchase some, but they don't carry it. I don't think Michael's has any either! Guess I'll have to order it online, although hate to pay $5.00 shipping for
such a small order. : (

Thanks for all of your help,

Jan

TooCircular
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
I was just going to say the ch5 picots were making a spoke or ray like line out from the ring

Jack, that's a good way to describe it. I just couldn't wrap my mind around it at the time. I agree, it is an interesting departure from the usual in the ring, or back and forth. I started making one with regular yarn, but it's not going to work for a scrubbie. Any ideas on where I can find the plastic canvas yarn?

I've got to tell you something funny, and I hope you don't take offense. Awhile back I read your reply to someone's thread and noticed "your" picture. I thought to myself, "boy, we really do have some elderly people here!" Then after awhile I realized it was the Lord of the Rings guy. Duh. Another senior moment. Having way to many of them lately. :blooby:

Thanks for your help,

Jan

MGM
05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Mary Grace, I visited your website and loved it!! Would you mind if I recommended your site in the Sticky for Free Pattern Links? It's a link I'm definitely going to bookmark. There are great ideas for different stitches to use in a baby blanket (the Hurdle stitch, etc.,) and so very timely b/c our group is going to make a baby blanket comprised of individual blocks and we needed ideas for different stitches. Thanks!

I definitely was having a senior moment on the scrubbie pattern. Can't believe I didn't "get it". But yeah,
it probably will be a good one to put on your website. Would still love to see it. As far as the plastic canvas yarn goes, I've never used it. Went to JoAnn's yesterday to purchase some, but they don't carry it. I don't think Michael's has any either! Guess I'll have to order it online, although hate to pay $5.00 shipping for
such a small order. : (

Thanks for all of your help,

Jan

Hi again Jan! You're too funny! I just read about you looking at Jack's picture...but don't feel bad. When I first saw it, I knew it was the guy from the movie, but I still had this idea that Jack must be REALLY old anyway! I don't know how old Jack is, but I'm guessing he's not as old as the guy in the picture looks!

Anyway, yes please do link to my website. I love free publicity!

About the nylon yarn, I bought mine at Michael's for about $3 for the skein. I have enough leftover to make another. It was next to the yarn section where they have the plastic canvas plastic and the yanks and skeins of yarn to use with them, and patterns for plastic canvas. AC Moore might also carry it.

MGM

TooCircular
05-12-2009, 05:45 AM
I've never heard of AC Moore here in Michigan, Mary Grace, but thanks for the tip about Michael's!

Isn't it cool that we have guy knitters/crocheters here at the forum. Makes sense tho' ~ I think they're the ones who invented it. Anyways, I think of my Beaker picture. Jack could have a field day with it but I know he's too much of a gent to go there. :fingerwag:

Well, sweat is forming on my brow now. 'Tis time to mosey on over to the sticky notes and put your link in.

Thanks again for all your help,

Jan

OffJumpsJack
05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Jack, I've got to tell you something funny, and I hope you don't take offense. Awhile back I read your reply to someone's thread and noticed "your" picture. I thought to myself, "boy, we really do have some elderly people here!" Then after awhile I realized it was the Lord of the Rings guy. Duh. Another senior moment. Having way to many of them lately. :blooby:

Thanks for your help,

Jan

Hi again Jan! You're too funny! I just read about you looking at Jack's picture...but don't feel bad. When I first saw it, I knew it was the guy from the movie, but I still had this idea that Jack must be REALLY old anyway! I don't know how old Jack is, but I'm guessing he's not as old as the guy in the picture looks!

MGM

:roflhard:
Well, the grey pilgrim in my avatar is very elderly by human standards, but my appearance is no mystery for any who have clicked on the old wizard. I'm old enough to remember The Monkeys, The Partridge Family, and H. R. Puff-n-stuff. I believe Susan Olsen (Cindy Brady) is a couple years older than I.

Though some days I do feel nearly as old as that grey wizard looks. :sad:

Your welcome for what little help I provided. ;) That scrubber pattern has the longest single compound-complex stitch I've encountered and is also the shortest since it is only one round after the foundation chain. :doh:

OffJumpsJack
05-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Anyways, I think of my Beaker picture. Jack could have a field day with it but I know he's too much of a gent to go there. :fingerwag:

Well, sweat is forming on my brow now. 'Tis time to mosey...

Jan

:)
:think: Jan must be tall and thin, I'd guess with bright red hair.

TooCircular
05-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Jan must be tall and thin, I'd guess with bright red hair.

Gaaaaah!!! Oh Jack, you naughty naughty boy.... :chair:

Well, I'm off to Michael's now to get the plastic canvas yarn. I hope this scrubbie turns out to be worth it.
Crossed Fingers

Try to be good while I'm gone, Jack. :teehee: I wouldn't want you scaring anyone with that Wild Hair!!

:lol:
Jan

OffJumpsJack
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Jan, at least I never mention the squeaky voice.. :doh:

Oops :oops:

You might be able to use an acrylic yarn, just go to Wal-mart and touch test for something less soft. A double strand of acrylic but using the same hook size should make it stiffer.

Oh, a thrifty option is to reuse plastic shopping bags for a plastic yarn. Lay the bag flat and trim off the bottom pleat and the handles at the top.

Next slice the bag from one edge until on inch remains at the other edge. Make these slices all from the same edge and about one inch apart. Your bag should now resemble a comb in profile with the top edge intact and loops hanging below like the tines of the comb.
http://users.frii.com/sos/Bag/market%20bag%201.jpg

Finally, cut diagonally so the loops make on continuous spiral around the bag. (let me find a picture or video instructions).
http://users.frii.com/sos/Bag/market%20bag%202.jpg

(Images of making one strip from a plastic shopping bag from Jodi Smith's market bag pattern page (http://users.frii.com/sos/Bag/MarketBag.html).)

TooCircular
05-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Great suggestions! It did cross my mind about using plastic bags and I've seen a video demonstration, I think on youtube, showing what you illustrated/described. I know the ladies in my knitting group are always using them to make bags. Bags out of bags. Who knew?? And you're right, two scratchy cheap yarn strands held together would work too. I didn't think of that. Thanks! I did pick up some some Needloft Plastic Canvas yarn today, 2 ply, 100% nylon, 92 yards altogether, for $1.90 using the 40% off coupon. The clearance yarn bins were almost empty. Oh well.

Well, you be good now, says I in my squeaky voice, and thanks for all of your help! :star:

Jan

mathwizard
05-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Jack,
I looked at your picture and you don't look that old. I remember all those things and Man from Uncle, a favorite of mine and it is good to see one of the actors on NCIS. Happy days, I finally beat you to an explanation, lol lol. Your explanations are excellent and I enjoy reading them.
Cheryl

TooCircular
05-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Well, I finished the scrubbie yesterday. It looks like a wild, out-of-control octopus, with more of a round shape than flat like the picture. I'm thinking that I'll make another one with two yarn strands held together, then I'll take it and put it in a jar of vintage cat nip and let it soak up the fumes for a few days. After that, I'll tie a string to it and voila, Prints will LOVE it.

I'm 57 so I remember all of those shows, and you're right, Cheryl about Jack's picture, and explanations too.

Make it a good one,

Jan

mathwizard
05-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the good idea for the cats. I have five who love catnip and a hanging toy would be just the thing.

MGM
05-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Just wanted to let you know that I have posted the video tutorial on making this scrubbie. It is HERE (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/05/crocheted-dish-scrubbie-video-tutorial.html) and ready for you!

Enjoy!

MGM

TooCircular
05-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Nicely done! I must have done something right b/c mine looks just like yours, except for the color (I used blue.) Anyway, I'm thinking that maybe it could be used as a shower loufah! Not sure how harsh it would feel on the skin, though. :think:

Thanks for sharing,

Jan

OffJumpsJack
05-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Nicely done! I must have done something right b/c mine looks just like yours, except for the color (I used blue.) Anyway, I'm thinking that maybe it could be used as a shower loufah! Not sure how harsh it would feel on the skin, though. :think:

Thanks for sharing,

Jan

:oo:
You didn't spin steel wool into yarn for your scrubber, did you? :doh:
:roflhard:

TooCircular
05-15-2009, 02:15 PM
You didn't spin steel wool into yarn for your scrubber, did you?

Grrrrrrr. No, but I have spun straw into gold. Much more lucrative, I'd say. :wink:

:whistle:
Jan

MGM
05-15-2009, 11:45 PM

Thanks for sharing,

Jan

I bet you could use worsted weight cotton like what I have been using for my dishcloths, and it would make a great shower loofah! Great thought!

MGM

TooCircular
05-16-2009, 11:24 AM
You might want to consider using two strands held together for the loofah, one cotton and the other a narrow strand of nylon netting. Just a thought. I'd definitely shy away from the, ahem, steel wool on this one though. LoL!

Jan