PDA

View Full Version : pollen is making my throat closed up! yikes....

VictoiseC
05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Wow, for the 2nd time, yesterday, I was at a flea market and I had to run out of it choking and coughing, then my throat sort of closed up... It happened on Sat also but not so bad. This time I was near all these veggies and flowers at the flea market and I was so embarrassed, I had s n o t flying everywhere and I couldn't breathe. I got into a Starbucks and had some water and stayed in the air conditioning for a bit. My doctor gave me a prescription a couple weeks ago but I didn't get it filled because (duh) I guess I didn't think I'd need it and I don't like to take medicine. Now, I guess I have to huh? When does this pollen GO AWAY? This is new for me, I just started reacting in the past couple years but never this drastic.

Do you think I need to buy an inhaler for emergencies?

Simply_Renee
05-11-2009, 11:50 AM
That sucks. I would try the prescription first, that may keep it under control- then ask your Dr. about an inhaler if needed.

My daughter has allergy triggered asthma- spring & fall are the worst. She was on Singulair & that helped wonderfully, but now she takes Claritin and stays pretty clear.

Hang in there, and don't be too embarrassed- lots of people have problems with allergies! :hug: It can really be scary.

hookedonknitting
05-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I recommend seeing an allergist, he can specify what our allergic to. This way you can predict when you might be at risk for a reaction. Although, there are some types of pollen they can't test for such as scotch broom. Also I would find out if this is an anaphylactic reaction because if it is you should be carrying an epi pen.... My Husband found out like myself that allergies run in cycles, so some years will be better than others. Neither one of had allergies until adulthood. Good luck and i hope you feel better... :D

VictoiseC
05-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Thank you both! Allergy triggered asthma, that's serious.
I read that more people have been affected by allergies since the 1980s but they didn't specify why. I never ever used to be bothered by anything (except poison ivy) but about 3 or 4 summers ago, I got stung by a huge bee and my arm swoll up to twice it's size, had to be put on an IV. Ever since then it seems to have gotten worse. We have so much pollen drifting around, Manhattan believe it or not, it comes over from New Jersey etc. Thanks again for the help...

OffJumpsJack
05-11-2009, 04:20 PM
I have allergy induced asthma. Found out when I needed a trip to the ER. Get your Rx filled and used as directed and also talk to your doctor about your symptoms. Your doctor may prescribe a rescue inhaler (puffer) if it is causing asthma symptoms. Did you know a nagging, dry cough may be a sign of an asthma attack? I didn't and then I realized I wasn't thinking clearly and I couldn't even ask my DW to help. She figured it out and got me to the ER.

I can tell you that the difficulty breathing may not go away by taking a pill or nasal spray. Those medicines may help prevent an asthma attack but they can't stop one once it starts. It takes a rescue inhaler or a trip by ambulance with oxygen.

I carry my inhaler even in non-allergy season.

God bless and good health.

vaknitter
05-11-2009, 09:33 PM
I am in that allergy club with you. I take Zyrtec almost year round anymore and 2x day spring and summer and wear a mask when I mow. During the summer I also take Singulair. I haven't found the nasal sprays to be of much use to me. I've also had rescue inhalers that I really don't like as they make me very shaky.
P.S. Don't be embarrassed by snot - we've all done that a time or five

cftwo
05-12-2009, 02:00 PM
The worst of the allergies in this neck of the woods should be done soon (if it's the tree pollen that's the biggest problem for you). I always have a break before hay fever season starts later in the summer. But you should still fill that prescription! It's always good to have allergy medicines on hand in case you need them. The inhaler, too. My asthma isn't bad, but I like to keep one on hand for the times when it IS bad. Breathing is good! (I have Flonase (now available generic) and an Albuterol inhaler for my allergies.)

Debkcs
05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
There is this stuff here called "Scotch Brush" or "Scotch Broom". It's yellow, and has the only pollen in the world I'm allergic to. Actually, my whole family and two of our closest friends all have problems with it every spring and early summer.

Hope you feel better soon. What 'Jack' wrote is great common sense.

cftwo
05-13-2009, 08:33 AM
I wanted to add that an air purifier gets me through allergy seasons. Even just having it set up in my bedroom so I sleep with cleaner air makes a big difference. I found mine at WalMart.

Spikey
05-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Same here! Allergy-induced asthma. I use Nasonex every day, which helps quite a bit, but have a rescue inhaler, too, just in case.

Get one ASAP!

This nothing to mess around with. I know someone who died from an asthma attack while on vacation. The poor housekeeper found him on the floor in his hotel with his inhaler in his mouth.

OffJumpsJack
05-14-2009, 11:14 AM
I wanted to add that an air purifier gets me through allergy seasons. Even just having it set up in my bedroom so I sleep with cleaner air makes a big difference. I found mine at WalMart.

:doh:
I forgot that! We have two: one in our bedroom and one in our living room. The single most beneficial effect (for me) of medicine or air filter is the ability to breath through my nose while I sleep. That is a very good point, cftwo. :thumbsup:

--Jack