PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with me???????

pbs
05-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I CANNOT cast on 120 stitches evenly for the life of me. Some have huge loops and some have tiny loops. I swear I'm using the same technique each time, and they start out great, but then they just get out of shape. What in the world is wrong with me???? Maybe my husband is right and knitting isn't the thing for me....

Jan in CA
05-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Plain and simple, tension takes practice. Try a different cast on if you're having trouble with the one you're doing.

hookedonknitting
05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
try putting the loop close to the previous one, then tighten. This helped me, keeping them all close together. Not sure if this is the "right way" but it works for me and keeps me going... Also I started and pulled out my first project about 11 times.... it takes practice... it is a challenge, part of the fun I guess ! :D It is much more rewarding if you have to work at it!!

PS BAHHumbug hubbies!! they just miss the attention!!LOL!!!

suzeeq
05-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes, either try a different one, or keep your tips close together. That doesn't mean casting on only on the tips, that will be too tight. And just practice, maybe on some leftover yarn.

Oh, if you're doing the LT cast on, try the 'thumb' variation which uses both hands. I never could get the regular one and discovered the thumb method myself. I've tried doing a regular one now and am more successful, but after a few sts the thumb yarn needs to be pulled up and it becomes uneven. But I can always do an even CO no matter how many sts with the 2 hands version.

Craw
05-11-2009, 02:15 PM
I can do the long tail cast on easy enough but the easiest for me is the crochet cast on. It's even every time and I always use it when I can.

pbs
05-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by some of this but I'll give it a shot anyway. I'm using the long-tail method and just doing a straight garter stitch blankie. Should be so simple, but not for me. Thanks for all the help and any more you can offer. I've been practicing--must have cast on 2000 stitches trying to get it right, but I seem to be getting worse rather than better.

suzeeq
05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Take a break from it. And it may be the combination of yarn and needles. Happens....

margz3
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
One more question....what type of needles are you using? Straights or Circulars? If they are circs, your beginning cast on sts will look the same on the needle, but become much looser looking when on the cable.

Shandeh
05-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by some of this but I'll give it a shot anyway. .....

You can see lots of different ways of casting on here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

Jane Untangled
05-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up about it. Knitting should be your safe refuge from all the preformance appraisals in life!

cftwo
05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I prefer a knitted cast-on to the long-tail cast-on. That might be because that's the one I learned first, but I find it is a good sturdy, easy cast-on. Plus - now that you know how to knit, doing this cast-on should be a cinch. There's a video that shows you how to do this in the link Shandeh provided. Don't give up yet!

Arielluria
05-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Be patient and DON'T give up!!!!!!!! It's all part of learning to be a great knitter! Tension doesn't come naturally, sometimes you gotta work at it.

Try making a really big swatch by casting on 40. You might see how your tension evens out in the end.