View Full Version : flat fold knitting technique

05-13-2009, 06:10 PM
I am looking a socks pattern with flat fold knitting technique. Is someone like guide me about flat fold knitting technique?:X: :guyknitting:
I am on ravelry as syeda
http://lh3.ggpht.com/syedaiq/SKH4cVscXfI/AAAAAAAAAJ0/ISN3HMLHD6c/s800/syedaravbutton.gif (http://ravelry.com/projects/syeda/#5233737407724805618)

05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
This is the only reference I can find to it: http://klymyshyndesignonetsy.blogspot.com/2009/03/flatfold-knitting-and-thrumming-with.html and I didn't find it to be particularly helpful. It seems to be pretty much tubular knitting on straight needles.

05-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for replay. I saw this too, but want toknow that how the technique is?

Jan in CA
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't even know what it is. :??

05-13-2009, 09:22 PM
I believe it's like straight tubular knitting, that is, you knit a tube on straight needles by knitting every other stitch going one way and the alternative ones going the other. It's kind of like knitting 2 socks at once, one inside the other, where you do the same thing, but from different skeins and in the round. One problem is that the description of "straight tubular knitting" is my own made-up thing-- I don't know what it's really called, so I don't know how to search for it.

But Sultana, let me ask you this: Are you wanting to learn this because it's new technique you're interested in, or is are you trying to make something that another technique might also accomplish?

05-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Thanks for replay. here is a link (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23714077) and I like the technique, want to learn this technique .

05-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Yes, Its like straight tubular knitting, and want to learn this technique. I also want to use this technique to make my own desigens.

05-14-2009, 06:23 AM
I think Mike was trying to design socks knit this way not too long ago - I think it was Mike.

that method is also how the head of Lion Brand's bunny blanket buddy is made. Confused the heck out of me the first time I made one. Kept slipping the wrong stitch, knitting the wrong stitch and closing up the head - mostly cuase I didn't understand the end result would be a short tube making the stuffable head.

05-14-2009, 09:16 AM
The link you provided for those short socks seems to come with the directions for how to do the flat fold knitting. Probably worth the $2 to get the pattern from her and then you can use the technique to do other things as well, including your own designs.

Jan in CA
05-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Oh I see. Interesting. :thumbsup:

05-15-2009, 07:01 PM
This is tubular double knitting technique and the desigener calls this flat fold knitting, Will you please guide me about this technique, because I am self taught knitter.

05-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't know any other patterns for anything, not to mention socks, that are knit this way. The 2 needle sock patterns I'm aware of are knit flat then seamed, not knit in this tubular method.

Might be the best thing to do is buy the pattern that you linked to already. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23714077
Once you make it a few times and understand how it works, you can probably adapt the method to any sock pattern. Afterall, the pattern is only $2, much cheaper then most for-sale individual sock patterns.

Good Luck. Let us now what you decide. If you do buy the pattern and get stuck, someone here should be able to help.

05-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I think and find out that the sock start from toe and end the heel side. I knit a bag many many years ago, but I did not know the name of the technique and thought the technique is special and may be used on heel side.
Now I shall try to knit my own pattern with some changes and show you what I am going to make and it take some time. Right now I am working on a crochet prayer cap/kufi for my husband. I have my own patterns on ravelry.

05-21-2009, 04:32 PM
oh i have never heard of that , sounds interesting,

05-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Not sure if this is right ,but they are using two needles to knit the socks

01-16-2011, 03:53 PM
It took me forever to get back to this site. My deep apologies. Yes. I am the designer who coined the phrase (or word) "flatfold". Yes, it does describe the Tubular Double Knitting technique. I am so happy to see people interested....but...hope the still are - considering how long it took me to find this thread!
The reason I used the word "flatfold" in my ECO Sock pattern is that the sock increases gradually becoming tubular double knit. Also because people who have not heard of tubular double knitting (a less known technique than "Double Knitting" but related) get it confused believing that TDK and DK are one in the same. The characteristic that makes TDK distinctly different is that it ALWAYS has a fold to separated the layers. Knitting "flat" means knitting back and forth on 2 needles.
I will TRY to find my way around here so that I may be helpful.

01-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Great to see you on this site, Kelly! You know me from the Double-Knitting Group on Yahoo.

People, Kelly is the expert on flatfold/tubular double-knitting and is trying to get a book published on the technique - any progress with that, Kelly? I have made one of her designs - a mug warmer/wrist cuff, which was quite easy, once I got my head around the instructions. I had a bit of difficulty with the bind-off instructions, but eventually figured it out. I have other patterns of her's as well, but haven't started on those yet.

Whoever of you is having a go at this technique, have fun with it! It's basically work one stitch, slip one stitch alternately across the row.