PDA

View Full Version : IKEA

GinnyG
05-18-2009, 09:12 AM
While on vacation a couple weeks ago I went to my first ever IKEA store. While I was unimpresed with much of the stuff I did really like their shelving and wall units.

This weekend I went to IKEA on line to order a couple bookshelves I had seen. Imagine my surprise when the shipping and handling for the $39.00 bookself I wanted was $239.00:passedout:

WHATTTTTTTTTTT????? Does anyone else shop online at IKEA?

cdjack
05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
I "window shop" online and then wait until I'm in an area that has an Ikea to buy anything. Well, that is what I did before they built on Ikea about 25 minutes from my house.

That shipping is unbelievable!

Crycket
05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
I believe the shipping costs are based on how far you are from your nearest Ikea....

I have only used the delivery once...and it was for a bed and mattress that we simply could not get into the van....it definatly wasn't that much....

Jan in CA
05-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Anything heavy is going to cost a fortune and it also depends on shipping method and distance.

We go INTO the store and shop for Ikea stuff.

GinnyG
05-18-2009, 02:28 PM
The closest Ikea is 180 miles away. Just doesn't seem like a flat packed bookcase (24" wide) should cost $230 to ship!!!!

Jan in CA
05-18-2009, 04:08 PM
You have to go by weight and dimensions. I think UPS, Fedex, and USPS all have tools to calculate costs based on weight and dimension. That amount does seem excessive so it would be worth it to figure out yourself and see what is going on.

GinnyG
05-18-2009, 04:25 PM
I called UPS and gave them the weight (listed on line) and they told me the UPS charge would be 34.00!!!!

Jan in CA
05-18-2009, 06:19 PM
I called UPS and gave them the weight (listed on line) and they told me the UPS charge would be 34.00!!!!

Here's a page that lists shipping costs and "handling fees."
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/popup/shipping_method.html

It says this, which is what I thought..that size/volume makes a difference:
Shipping and handling fees will be charged based on shipment weight/volume, delivery destination, and retail value of order.

There is a phone number near the top. I'd call and ask them what is going on.

GinnyG
05-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I'll call tomorrow, maybe there was a mistake!

dreamingintx
05-19-2009, 08:05 AM
The IKEA delivery option seems strange in England too. We tried getting a delivery from 2 different stores (both about the same distance from our house but in different directions) and were quoted 2 different prices. It doesn't make a lot of sense!

Debkcs
05-20-2009, 03:10 AM
When we lived on the East coast, I bought all of my baking supplies from King Arthur Flour. Now on the West coast, it's prohibitively expensive,because they have shipping zones, and I'm waaayy out west. Guess it's the same with Ikea. I love their stuff, and I'm very happy they a store in Portland. Now if they'd just put it together for me.

GinnyG
05-20-2009, 05:21 AM
I searched the IKEA site yesterday for a phone number, never found one. All the "contact us" tabs led to email. So I gave up.

I'll find a shelf somewhere else.

Jan in CA
05-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I searched the IKEA site yesterday for a phone number, never found one. All the "contact us" tabs led to email. So I gave up.

I'll find a shelf somewhere else.

Ginny it is on that page I gave you the link to.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/popup/shipping_method.html

For more information or for actual shipping and handling quotes, please call 1-800-434-IKEA (4532)

GinnyG
05-20-2009, 01:12 PM
hahahaha, where is the icon slapping it's head saying DUOHHHHHHH!

I'll call them right NOW!!!!

GinnyG
05-20-2009, 01:26 PM
OK, so......... did speak to a very nice girl at IKEA. Unfortunately it was no help.

Billy Bookcase 15" x79" $ 34.99
Shipping & Handling 260.29

Tax 23.62 (must be S&H is taxable)

TOTAL (for my 34.99 bookcase)
$318.90

:passedout: :passedout: :passedout: :passedout: :passedout: :passedout: :passedout:

Apparently the length makes it impossible to send UPS.

Jan in CA
05-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Ahhh... I was right. The size makes the difference. I have several Billy bookcases. Can't be the cost and versatility. If you can manage it it would be worth it to go the 180 miles and get them. Or you can get something else. :lol:

IF you go get them, check them before you leave since taking them back for a nick is not really easy for you to do.

GinnyG
05-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Of course another issue is that even if I did make the trip, I doubt I could bet them in or on my little Hyuandi Elantra :-(

So it's back to the drawing board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan in CA
05-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Yikes. No, you'd need a friend with an SUV or a truck.

GinnyG
05-20-2009, 02:05 PM
sigh...................................

I was thinking the Billy bookcase with a glass door would make the perfect yarn storage systme :-(

My "plan" was to order one for the kitchen (white) to store our chargable electronics on. Between DH and I we have three cell phones, 4 pagers, and 2 Fire radios that have to be kept in chargers. THEN if I liked the shelves to order the ones with glass doors for my yarn room.

Back to the drawing board on both counts.

Jan in CA
05-20-2009, 02:24 PM
It DOES make a good yarn storage system as you saw from my post about it. It's too bad you can't find a way to get them. :(

You might try Target although I don't think they have doors aren't as versatile. :think:

GinnyG
05-20-2009, 02:28 PM
WHERE IS that head slapping icon???? I knew I had seen it before, just couldn't remember where. DUOH!

I doomed to remain in chaos. I orderd 50 of the plastic zipper bags Artlady recommended only to receive an email that they were back ordered. But at least they will arrive at SOME point.

Jan in CA
05-20-2009, 02:41 PM
WHERE IS that head slapping icon???? I knew I had seen it before, just couldn't remember where. DUOH!
This one? :doh:I have it in my list that is the right of the msg box. I added the ones I use most there. If you click the star you can change yours, too. Otherwise, it's in the 'confused' list of smileys.

I doomed to remain in chaos. I orderd 50 of the plastic zipper bags Artlady recommended only to receive an email that they were back ordered. But at least they will arrive at SOME point.

Good grief. :hair:

GinnyG
05-20-2009, 02:46 PM
hahahaha, just went back and found your post and thought YUP, that is what I'm going for!!!!

You'll have to forgive me, I am sittig here at work watching the clock WAITING for time for DH to pick me up. Woke up sick this morning and feel like my head is full of cotton.

cftwo
05-21-2009, 09:05 AM
What about building one yourself? You could go to Lowe's/Home Depot and buy kicthen cabinets with glass doors. If you were willing to put together an IKEA bookcase, it wouldn't be much more difficult to do the cabinets.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-31-2009, 12:45 AM
I think if you REALLY want them, and they are EXACTLY what you want, you should get them. Will it cost you 300 dollars to drive 180 miles (in a truck that you borrow or rent), buy the bookcase, and drive back?

Don't forget to factor in your time... how much is your time worth? How much can you do in the time you'll save by not making the trip? Is that worth the shipping cost?

Also, if you're going to buy more than 1 unit, you can make the trip there for the same amount of time and money regardless of how many you're hauling... will you get that same price if you have it shipped?

I think if you sit down with a calculator and figure out really how much each alternative will cost, you'll be able to make the decision easier. Further, if they are not EXACTLY what you want and they are not PERFECT for what you want them for, it might not be worth it.

tokmom
05-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Ikea shipping is outrageous. I was looking at curtains for my sons room. To ship them cost more than the curtain!

What did you decide?

GinnyG
05-31-2009, 10:11 AM
I decided not to order the bookcase, I didn't like them THAT much.

I did order the clear cases Artlady uses, they are on back order but hopefully will come soon. Then I will expand my current wall shelf system and use the clear plastic bags and hopefully get more organized.