PDA

View Full Version : Now I Can Put My Old LPs on iPod!!!!!!!!!

Arielluria
05-18-2009, 04:34 PM
:woohoo:I'm so tickled, we finally got a USB turntable so we can put those old irreplaceable LPs onto CDs and/or iPod.

My mom bought the ION LPdock, which has a dock for your iPod:
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/280577.jpg
She got it at Costco.com and saved $80 over Best Buy for the same exact model!!!!!!!!!!!! She and I have dozens of LPs from 70's from Brazil which aren't even available on CD and even if they were, they would cost about $20/ea here in the U.S.

Mike
05-18-2009, 05:35 PM
I've had my stereo hooked up to my computer for that reason (not IPOD but CDs). For some reason the sound card stopped hearing the stereo though.

hookedonknitting
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Really!! that is awsome!! What LPs from Brasil? My hubby is Brazilian and I have lived there too.... Those old ones would be great!! Bossa Nova here you come!!:cheering:

Arielluria
05-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Really!! that is awsome!! What LPs from Brasil? My hubby is Brazilian and I have lived there too.... Those old ones would be great!! Bossa Nova here you come!!:cheering::waving: Well 'oi' then! ;) Lots of Samba, Roberto Carlos, Benito Di Paula, Ivan Lins, Rita Lee ;) All the good ol' 70's and 80's stuff.
:flirt:

Arielluria
05-18-2009, 05:42 PM
I've had my stereo hooked up to my computer for that reason (not IPOD but CDs). For some reason the sound card stopped hearing the stereo though.I'm doing that with tapes too. Have you tried a new wire? Or maybe that input on the soundcard went bad?

Arielluria
05-18-2009, 05:43 PM
The turntable came with software that automatically finds the albums names and songs, even these OBSCURE LPs from Brazil from 30 years ago! I was really amazed!:notworthy: It has a stereo input to attach a cassette player and do the same thing with the software. I'm so happy I could do a jig...........
:woot::woot::woot:

Mike
05-19-2009, 12:27 AM
I'm doing that with tapes too. Have you tried a new wire? Or maybe that input on the soundcard went bad?

I haven't tried the wire. I think that would be easy because my computer was piped out to the stereo too and I'm pretty sure that wire is working.

I think the input went dead. I've tried reinstalling the drivers but haven't tried physically reinstalling the card yet.

I'm very happy that they came out with USB turntables because it means there's a chance I'll still be able to buy needles for my turntable.

Arielluria
05-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Ion also makes a USB tape deck. Link on Costco (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11239293&search=tape%20deck&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=tape%20deck&Ntt=tape%20deck&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1). The thing I like is the software it came with and the better than expected sound quality. Also, 2 separate softwares came with the turntable, an easy and a more advanced one. I went straight for the easy one and the sound quality couldn't be better.

Before, when I was putting my tapes onto PC I was just using a program that captures any sound coming through the soundcard, so obviously at times there was an email 'ding' or something and I had to start over. :hmm: That was a drag.

Crycket
05-21-2009, 08:08 AM
That is really cool!

Plantgoddess+
05-21-2009, 09:18 PM
My husband bought a USB turntable about a year ago and hasn't had time to install the software into the desktop as yet. I look forward to having a lot of our music from the 60's and 70's on CD. We have about 300 albums we've collected over the years and I haven't been able to listen to them since our stereo turntable died.
I hope he can get to it this year.

cristina61
05-22-2009, 05:12 PM
I bought one of those ION turntables, and I used it last year to put a bunch of my mom's old LPs onto CDs for her and gave it to her as a Christmas gift.

It was great (but there was a learning curve for me) being able to remove a lot of the hissing and the scratches and pops from the records.

I still have a lot of old records I'd love to be able to turn into mp3 files, but the last time I went to use the turntable my computer didn't want to cooperate and I couldn't get any sound! I haven't tried it again since that happened. Some days I can be totally computer savvy and other days I'm completely lost . . . :shrug:

Arielluria
05-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Have you tried re-installing the software? Do that first, with turntable unplugged from PC, then restart PC and it should work.

RE the hissing and scratching from some of the old LPs, there is software out there that helps reduce that.