PDA

View Full Version : Costco ROCKS!

Arielluria
05-18-2009, 04:40 PM
If you don't know, Costco (http://www.costco.com) is a warehouse store like Sam's only with a much better return policy. Some electronics like TVs, PCs and iPods they double the mfg. warranty which is nice in itself. And when my 2nd iPod went bezerk on me, their 'concierge service' got me super fast treatment from Apple ;)

My first iPod was purchased there before this new policy, so when it goes caput, Costco will give me a brand new one.

Most things you can return any time for any reason. No questions asked. Example: Recently they allowed us to return a 7 year old Bissell carpet cleaner that I used to death and got the full $250 we paid for it in 2002 back in cash! Of course, we turned around and bought a new Bissell cleaner at Costco but it was now only $175!!!!!!!!!!!! So it's like we got paid for using and abusing the Bissell. They knew how old the item was, they always look things up on their computer, so if you lose your receipt that's OK too.

Anything purchased online at costco.com can be returned to the store and you even get your S&H.

I'm just so darned tickled with them I had to tell you guys in case you thought it wasn't any worth looking into.

sakura-panda
05-18-2009, 05:13 PM
We spent about $18 on some Kirkland sunglasses (Costco's in house brand) for DH from a year or two ago. When he broke them this spring, I didn't have the receipt for it anymore, and they didn't have any on display, so they refunded me $30! :shock:

Of course, the next time we went they had the display set up and we bought another pair for $30. :wink:

Simply_Renee
05-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't ever return a carpet cleaner I had used for 7 years for a full refund. Who ended up paying for that?

jheatherley
05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
My thought exactly.

Debkcs
05-19-2009, 07:37 PM
I too love Costco. If they sold yarn, I'd never shop anywhere else.

(As far returning a seven year old carpet cleaner, I wouldn't, but Costco will let you. Stuff has a 'lifetime' guarentee.)

Another thing about them, if you don't have medical insurance they have a program to help you out; for me, it's as good as Walmart, because WM doesn't have my drugs on their formulary.

bailsmom
05-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Wow, that's amazing. I had no clue they had that kind of policy. It sounds just like LL Bean's return policy. You can have it for years and return it for whatever reason you give.

Debkcs
05-20-2009, 03:01 AM
I worked in Seattle with another nurse who bought a pair of nursing shoes from Nordstrom's. Wore them for six months, the sole split right where the foot bends, and she took them back for a replacement. I couldn't believe it; by my calculations, the shoes had put in 1,000 hours, and Nordy's cheerfully refunded.

Arielluria
05-20-2009, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't ever return a carpet cleaner I had used for 7 years for a full refund. Who ended up paying for that?I wouldn't either, I thought it was crazy but generous on their part.

I called first and Costco said "sure, bring it in! It's our return policy." We even double checked at the return desk when we got there, they said "no problem". Oh, and BTW, I forgot to mention the carpet cleaner was not working properly, it was leaking like crazy AND not sucking up the water from the carpet after it sprayed.

I have had to return very few things, aside from this only a set of phones which stopped working. However, it is an ingenious return policy really because we have spent THOUSANDS in the last few years which we might have spent somewhere else if we didn't have the assurance of the return policy (phones, big screen TVs, pots, etc.). Not to mention everything else we spend money on such as food and cleaning supplies, flowers, baked goods, etc.

Arielluria
05-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow, that's amazing. I had no clue they had that kind of policy. It sounds just like LL Bean's return policy. You can have it for years and return it for whatever reason you give.I didn't know that about LL Bean, I have only 1 thing from them, it's my favorite purse!

auntcrafty
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Wow, that's amazing. I had no clue they had that kind of policy. It sounds just like LL Bean's return policy. You can have it for years and return it for whatever reason you give.

As a former LL Bean employee I just wanted clarify this -- LLB has a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you used something for 7 years and you were satisfied with the product's performance during those years, we would have asked you in a nice way to reconsider returning the item for replacement/refund. People at times still returned items because they felt they were owed their money back after so many years, which was frustrating to me for the company -- they had to eat the loss.

Just my $.02, if you aren't happy with a product you should return it right away and not expect a company to give you a refund after a certain amount of time. Could this be why so many companies are getting stricter with their return policies?

Arielluria
05-21-2009, 10:31 AM
if you aren't happy with a product you should return it right away and not expect a company to give you a refund after a certain amount of time. Could this be why so many companies are getting stricter with their return policies?I agree with that. I know Target's pretty strict, which makes Walmart seem better to shop at. I was at Walmart returning an newly purchased item ;) with my receipt and heard a couple of workers talking about how they had just accepted a $500 item which the person had no receipt for, said it was a gift.

Plantgoddess+
05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
I too am an avid Costco shopper. It's my first stop most weeks when I go to town. What I can't find at Costco I pick up at a local supermarket. I have ordered some things from their website and have returned a few for not being what I wanted, but overall I'm willing to take a chance on an item made by a company I'm not familiar with because of Costco's return policy. My last flier was on an cordless string trimmer + hedge trimmer + 2 batteries and charger. It is Worx brand. I'm quite happy with them.

Arielluria
05-22-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm willing to take a chance on an item made by a company I'm not familiar with because of Costco's return policyMe too. Got the ZeroWater filter from them for this very reason. Very happy with the filter, but wouldn't have taken a chance if not for the return policy.
:woot:

cftwo
05-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Lands End at least used to have a policy like that. I once called and asked about a pair of boots I had had for years that had suddenly started leaking. Send them back, they said, and we'll send you a replacement pair. I wore out a strap on a briefcase and they sent me a new one, free (I even said I'd pay for it). I don't like to take advantage of policies like that, but they're sometimes nice to have when something stops working.