PDA

View Full Version : Any knitters from York, PA area or thereabouts?

JudiToots
05-20-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm curious as to whether or not there are any knitters from south central PA such as around York, PA.

Jan in CA
05-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Just thought I'd point out that it looks like there is a yarn store nearby that has knitting groups, classes, etc.. I am in one and it's awesome! Best thing I ever did was join the group.
http://www.uncommonthreads-pa.com/

JudiToots
05-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Jan,

Thanks for the information. That is about 5 minutes from my workplace! Sounds like a great resource.

myohmy
05-23-2009, 09:36 PM
:waving: Hi!

I'm from just outside of Hanover, so I'm sort of close! I've never been to the store posted about above but I will have to check it out sometime.

cacunn
05-24-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm from waynesboro, south and west of Gettysburg, just north of Hagerstown, MD.

If you have not been there you may want to do a little trip to just outside of New Berlin. The Mannings (http://www.the-mannings.com/mannings_catalog.cgi) Knitting and weaving supply. Plan to spend some time and money. Great LYS.

OffJumpsJack
05-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Well, it wasn't anywhere knear York, PA. I grew up in northwestern PA but relocated to North Carolina some ten years ago.

:waving: I'll just wave to you 'ole neighbors' I never met. :)

cftwo
05-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm within driving distance of York, about an hour north of Harrisburg.

JudiToots
05-28-2009, 08:42 AM
myohmy - I drive through Hanover often. My DH is a history buff and loves Gettysburg. It was even the locaiton of our 1st date.

Chris - My aunt and uncle used to live in Waynesboro but now live in Hagerstown. I used to live in both Shippensburg and Chambersburg.

Jack - Hello from PA!

cftwo - Hello to you. I also used to live in the Susquehanna Valley (many places). My younger sister is also north of Harrisburg in Perry County.

cacunn
05-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Chris - My aunt and uncle used to live in Waynesboro but now live in Hagerstown. I used to live in both Shippensburg and Chambersburg.

This is a small world. My DW has a lot of family in and around Waynesboro and that is one reason we moved here.

Have you been to Mannings and have you heard about their Annual Spinning Seminar (http://www.the-mannings.com/mannings_catalog.cgi?dwee=on&ad=4712&tt=593) of June 13th? (I like to stop by Manning's store but their web site could use some work.) The seminar is free and sounds like it could be interesting.

noraj
05-31-2009, 09:17 PM
I am in Chambersburg, not real near York but not that far, about 60 miles or therabouts

myohmy
06-03-2009, 10:15 PM
We're actually between Hanover and Gettysburg, so we are there quite a bit. We moved here about a year ago and whenever we have visitors we do the Gettysburg battlefield tour. My brother is a huge history buff and is trying to convince us to go for the 4th of July weekend re-enactment.

I still haven't been to the yarn store in York, I have so many projects on the go right now - I have to finish at least one before I can justify buying more wool! I love going to the Manning's, it is about 10 minutes from where I am. If you haven't been - you need to go! It is just a little bit north of 30, off 94 (just a bit outside of East Berlin). Probably about 25-30 minutes from York.

JudiToots
06-04-2009, 07:26 AM
myohmy,

My husband is also a huge history buff (but his fav is Civil War). In fact, our first date was at the battlefield. The reenactments are terrific. Word of caution -- it is super busy and packed for the 4th of July reenactments! My husband used to be a reenactor and both he and our oldest son have gone many times.

I have never heard of Mannings but I will definitely check it out. What yarn store in York? The one that Jan in CA mentioned (Uncomon Threads)? I like the name of that store as I prefer different yarns and not just the standard Super Saver.

myohmy
06-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Yes, Uncommon Threads. From the website it looked like they had a nice variety of classes. I like the idea of doing a class to meet some other knitters in the area, but I think I will wait until the fall to sign up as summer is just too busy!

If you like different types of yarns, you will love the Manning's as well. There is a lot of selection - just beautiful stuff! It's the perfect place to spend a Saturday morning browsing, looking at patterns, etc. I really have to get going on my backlog of projects so I can get some new things going!

myohmy
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
This is timely! I just came across this article in the Evening Sun. It is about a knitting group starting up at the library in East Berlin. The first get together is June 9th.

http://www.eveningsun.com/ci_12485516

ljnutter62
06-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Hello there......

Im from Shippensburg..........now live in Chambersburg.....Looking for others close by....Leann

cacunn
06-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Leann
Hello from Waynesboro.

JudiToots
06-09-2009, 07:28 AM
I'm almost embarassed to say that I have also lived in both Chambersburg and Shippensburg. Not embarassed because I lived there...embarassed that I admit to living in so many different places. (My Dad was a pastor and we moved allot.) I have fond memories of both Chambersburg and Shippensburg. I don't remember street names but I do remember the houses.