PDA

View Full Version : **Easiest Cable Needles**

Simone
05-20-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm using a J hook and I seem to be all thumbs with it. What do you like to use? What do you find is easiest?

Jan in CA
05-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I prefer a short DPN type needle. My DH made me one out of a wood called purple heart.

They look like this, but you can get them lots of places. -

http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Harmony+Wood+Cable+Knitting+Needles_AD9034 7.html

Mike
05-20-2009, 04:48 PM
I made one like the short DPNs out of aluminum but it has a skinnier groove in the middle.

Simone
05-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I have DPN's but they aren't that small. I may try something along that route though, thanks to both of you!

Ingrid
05-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I use whatever dpn is hanging around. I generally just have to reach into the couch cushions to find one.:teehee:

maniago
05-20-2009, 06:05 PM
You can get several wooden dowels for a few dollars; they make great cable needles, just cut to size. I have also used toothpicks on sock cables

suzeeq
05-20-2009, 09:25 PM
You could use cut down chopsticks or skewers. Being wood they wouldn't slip out of the sts as easily.

bambi
05-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I use wood DPNs. The stitches don't slip off and I have a whole set in various sizes. Those things they sell as cable needles don't work for me.

Bambi

Simone
05-20-2009, 10:56 PM
These are all great suggestions! I really appreciate it. I think I may use my wooden DPN's then. The J hook is metal and just seems to be clumsy to me when working the stitches off of the needle.

MtheVGandP
05-21-2009, 01:11 AM
I also usually use wood dpns (what a surprise, right?). Those funky curved needles specially designed for cables just don't work for me.

I actually could never get the hang of knitting stitches off the cable needle/dpn/whatever. I slip my sts to the dpn and stick the bottom end of it down into the knitting, out of the way, to keep it secure. After I knit the first half of the cable sts, I slip the sts on the dpn back to the left needle and knit from there as normal. After getting used to it, it's actually faster for me than cabling w/out a cable needle. To each his/her own!

wezyus
05-21-2009, 04:27 AM
I use curtain plastic crochet, its hold the yarn very well in its place n its really practicable for me