PDA

View Full Version : Sock Yarn For Allergic Recipient?

Arielluria
05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
I want to make some socks for a good friend. She is allergic to wool though. I have never seen sock yarn that didn't have some wool in it. Can anyone help?

Plantgoddess+
05-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I have made multiple pairs of socks using Elann Esprit. Cascade Fixation is identical in fiber. It's sock weight and is 98% cotton and just under 2% elastic. It's very stretchy and a little different to knit with, but I've had pretty good luck machine washing and drying the socks. They do shrink slightly, but I find they still fit fine and on later pair just made them slightly larger to account for shrinkage.

Lucy78green
05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
I've heard of bamboo sock yarn, not sure which brands are available to you, but you might try the advanced search on the yarn pages on ravelry for cotton or bamboo 4 ply

Arielluria
05-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks. I was about to ask that question. I have some bamboo yarn I bought on eBay. Brand is Mei-Mei. I'll also make a swatch and let her have it and see if it makes her itch.

Jan in CA
05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Ravelry is amazing for things like this. I did an advanced search and came up with a bunch. There's still few animal fibers in there, but most of them don't seem to be. Click on yarn and then do advanced. The select fiber type/advanced and on the left in the drop down box choose 'and not' and continue to add all the wooly types you don't want. Also choose fingering weight if you want sock yarn. Voila!

I had this bookmarked.
http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/nonwoolysockyarn.htm

imrachel
05-21-2009, 07:07 PM
These are excellent and extremely soft and non-itchy and truly sock weight:
Panda Cotton (bamboo, cotton and nylon)
Panda Soy (Bamboo, soy and nylon)
Maizy (corn and nylon)
Bernat Sox (acrylic and nylon)
Mary Maxim Bamboo (Bamboo and nylon)

My one problem with Cascade Fixation is that it isn't truly a sock weight. But if you're making socks with a thicker yarn, such as sport or DK, it works well.

scout52
05-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Also S.R. Kertzer On Your Toes Bamboo its Bamboo and Nylon.

I have aslo have to recommend Mei Mei Bamboo yarn as well. Its gorgeous.

knitgal
05-21-2009, 09:51 PM
I've used the Kertzer Bamboo and it's nice. I would recommend it.