PDA

View Full Version : Need help with top down raglan baby sweater

Nanaof6
05-21-2009, 05:28 PM
I have the pattern and yarn and started but I have frogged it all out. It wasn’t looking right .My pattern says to use #3(US) needles but not if it’s straight or circulars, I looked online at another pattern and it says to use 26in circular #3(US) needles not knowing which to used I used straight needles and the ribbing isn't right .I am following the pattern from Knittingonethenet.com designed by Carole Barenys. I have never knitted something like this and I am trying to follow the pattern but I am not finding it easy to read. I got to row 8 and frogged it out. Following instructions for Row5 , where it says ‘Work 2 more rows in ribbing’ do you knit the 5sts first and end with those 5 knit sts?

It says to Divide work for body and sleeves? but it doesn’t say how to do that. Dividing work, sounds like it should be on a total different needle then.

It seems that I should be using marker to mark the seams too, but it doesn’t say to use them. Should I use markers?

Does anyone know of a link that can show me step by step with pictures of what I am suppose to be doing here?

Like the one I found show pictures of each step on making socks. It shows what it looks like on the needles as you go. VERY helpful for a first timer.

Is there anyone that has made this pattern that could guide me along as I make this ?

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babysweragcard.htm

Jan in CA
05-21-2009, 06:06 PM
A circular needle would be the easiest to use for this type of sweater so use those if you can. It'll be too awkward on straights.

I use markers otherwise it's too hard to remember what you are doing. So -

Row 8: k 5 sts for border, p 10 for front, PM, k 2 for "seam", PM,
p 6 for sleeve, PM, k 2 for "seam", PM, p 26 for back, PM, k 2 for "seam", PM, p 6 for sleeve, PM, k 2 for "seam", PM, p 10 for front, k 5 sts for border.

You will have 4 sets of markers on either side of each raglan 'seam'. Your increases will be done outside those markers. The two stitches between the markers will remain the same, but the sweater will start increasing outside of them.

Does that help? If something seems off let me know. :shifty:

Nanaof6
05-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks Jan, I'll use my circular needles.would that explain why my ribbing didn't look like ribbing?

What part of the sweater are you working when you start out? the collar ?

This is an issue for me, I need to see what part I am working on and the pattern doesn't say.Like when I knitted my Einstein coat, it said Lower Body and showed a picture of where I was at.

Following instructions for Row5 , where it says ‘Work 2 more rows in ribbing’ do you knit the 5sts first and end with those 5 knit sts when working these two more rows in ribbing?

Jan in CA
05-21-2009, 06:54 PM
I know what you mean. I like to know where I am, too.

This is a "top down" sweater so the ribbing you do at the top is the neck.

Following instructions for Row5 , where it says ‘Work 2 more rows in ribbing’ do you knit the 5sts first and end with those 5 knit sts when working these two more rows in ribbing?

Yes, the garter stitch border is your "button band" so it remains in garter throughout the sweater. It should look like the sweater in the picture.

Just keep going as the pattern says and pretty soon you'll be able to see the sleeves forming! Top downs are really neat. :thumbsup:

Nanaof6
05-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Jan in row 5 I am working Girl buttonholes It says ,

Work row same as row 1,to within 5 sts of end. k2,yo,k2tog,insert needle from left side,k1.

(Row 1:k5for border,k2,p2 ribbing to within 5sts of end,k5 for border)

So do they mean,

k5 for border,knit in rib until 5 sts from end ,k2,yo,k2tog,k1, knit 5 for border.

or is it,

k5 for border,k2,yo,k2tog,k1, knit in rib to within 5 sts for border

Sorry, I just don't get it.:shrug:

Jan in CA
05-21-2009, 08:05 PM
It depends on which side you want the buttonholes. If it's for a boy you do the buttonhole in the beginning. If it's for a girl you do the button hole at the end. I separated it here for you..does that help?
-----------
Row 5 (First Buttonhole):
Boy: k 2, yo, k 2 tog, inserting needle from left side, k 1, work to end.

Girl: Work row same as Row 1, to within 5 sts of end. k 2, yo, k 2 tog inserting needle from left side, k 1.

Buttonhole will be worked every 9 ridges (18 rows) for a total of five.
Work 2 more rows in ribbing.

------------

lulubell
05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Knit 5 for border, knit in rib until you have 5 stitches left then do the kn2, yo, kn 2tog , insert needle from left side kn1. In those last 5 border st you have just made a buttonhole where the yo is.

Jan in CA
05-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Knit 5 for border, knit in rib until you have 5 stitches left then do the kn2, yo, kn 2tog , insert needle from left side kn1. In those last 5 border st you have just made a buttonhole where the yo is.

It depends on whether it's for a boy or girl though. If it's for a boy you do the buttonhole first.

Nanaof6
05-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Well to be honest, we don't know the sex yet. I bought a lite green and white yarn and thought I'd put the buttonholes on it for a girl . Do you think it will really make a difference?

I don't think mom wants to know what sex it is.

Jan in CA
05-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Well to be honest, we don't know the sex yet. I bought a lite green and white yarn and thought I'd put the buttonholes on it for a girl . Do you think it will really make a difference?

Nah, makes no difference at all so just do whichever you prefer.

suzeeq
05-21-2009, 09:30 PM
When you 'divide' your work, you'll be putting the sleeve sts on holders to work later. You finish the body first, then go back to those held stitches. This will be after you finish the raglan increases, so you've got a ways to go, and it does say how to do that, but it's later in the instructions.

lulubell
05-21-2009, 11:32 PM

I don't think mom wants to know what sex it is.

Gosh, I dont know which sides buttons go on for what sex most of the time!!

Nanaof6
05-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Ok, I am now starting on row 8. That's where I stopped and frogged the first time around.

Jan, I will use markers this time! Wish me luck!:X:

Jan in CA
05-22-2009, 06:17 PM
You can do it! :thumbsup:

Nanaof6
05-22-2009, 06:48 PM
I did it!!

Now I went on to the Raglan increase row. I think I got it. But I need to ask to see if I did it right.

I understand the increase. I did my first increase in what would be st number 9 then knitted number 10 then purled the two seam sts then did an increase in the next st ,next I knitted to within 2sts again and repeated what I had just done ,is that all right?

Because it seems I should do the increase after the seam like, k1,increase in next s. Not, p2,increase in next st:shrug:

Reading the next row after the Raglan increase row it reads
Next row:k5sts for border,p11,k2 for "seam", (I thought the seam sts were Purled?)p8 for sleeve,k2,p28,k2,,p11,k5

What about the PM'S and the increase sts? what is this row doing?

I don't want to go on until I hear from you.

Jan in CA
05-22-2009, 07:19 PM
You can have however many you want in a seam stitch and it's generally 1 or 2. Having it purled is a bit different as well, but it does look nice.

What you're doing is correct. Doing it the way you are makes it even on both sides of the seam stitches. You'll have one knit on either side between the two 'bars' that are created with the KFB.

Continue as you are and you should see what I mean after a few increase rows.

Nanaof6
05-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Reading the next row after the Raglan increase row it reads
Next row:k5sts for border,p11,k2 for "seam", (I thought the seam sts were Purled?)p8 for sleeve,k2,p28,k2,,p11,k5

What about the PM'S and the increase sts? what is this row doing?

I'm just going to do it and see what happens.

I think I get it now.

I keep repeating the raglan increase row and the next row until I have 56 sts on my needles, it that right?

suzeeq
05-22-2009, 08:04 PM
The seam sts are knit on the inc/RS row, and would be purled on the WS rows.

Nanaof6
05-22-2009, 08:13 PM
It took me a few minutes but I did finally figured that out, but wasn't sure .

So is that right, do I keep repeating those two rows until I have 56 sts on my needles?

Thank you ever so much guys!

suzeeq
05-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes you would.

Nanaof6
05-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Well then, I am off to work on the sweater until I get lost again:pray:

I hope it's ok to ask for so much help . I am learning on my own to read patterns now and sometimes it's easy and sometimes not so easy.

Nana,

Jan in CA
05-23-2009, 12:32 AM
No problem at all asking for help. We all have to learn sometime. :thumbsup:

ElraTyln
05-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I am so glad you asked the questions! i wanted to make this and now it seems less daunting knowing these questions are here already answered for me! :)

Nanaof6
05-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I am so glad you asked the questions! i wanted to make this and now it seems less daunting knowing these questions are here already answered for me! :)

I was truly hoping that I may have come some ways with reading patterns. I still have not reach that level yet. Jan and suzeeq and lulubelle have been super teachers.:thumbsup:

I am still working the two increase rows until I have 56sts on the back and 36 for the sleeve. It truly helped placing the markers for the sleeves. The pattern doesn't tell you to do that, but I guess you're just suppose to know that. It makes me wonder what else I am suppose to know that it doesn't tell me.

suzeeq
05-23-2009, 08:03 PM
It does help to have markers when you haven't made too many sweaters this way. After a few, you may find you don't need them. But it should have been put into the pattern so you could have that option; no one wants to count sts every row.

Jan in CA
05-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I've made a lot of baby sweaters and I still prefer to have markers. It just makes it easier not to forgot to do the increase.

Nanaof6
05-24-2009, 12:10 AM
It's 12:11 am on a holiday weekend so I probably won't get an answer for awhile .

What did I do wrong?

I am working the increase rows and I stopped to check things. I stopped on the WS and before going on to the next round I thought before starting the RS, I'd count all of the sts I had on the needles.

The stitches are not even in counting between the PM'S . Starting on the RS and counting I have 23 sts to first PM, 2 seam sts, PM then 42 sts to next PM, 2seam sts PM, then 21 sts to next PM,2 seam sts PM, ending with 22 sts.

I went back and undid a row to see what I did wrong and I can't see what I did wrong.

When your done with a row shouldn't the numbes between the markers be even?:shrug:

suzeeq
05-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Usually, if you start out with the same number on the sleeves they will equal the same number. Though you only mentioned 4 sections and you should have 5 - a back and 2 sleeves and 2 fronts. You may have forgot an inc at one marker.

Nanaof6
05-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Usually, if you start out with the same number on the sleeves they will equal the same number. Though you only mentioned 4 sections and you should have 5 - a back and 2 sleeves and 2 fronts. You may have forgot an inc at one marker.

I have five sections right to left it's,23 sts,22sts,42sts,21sts and 22sts.

So I guess I have to go back and frog until I find the mistake:wall: I can't go to bed until I find it.

Nanaof6
05-24-2009, 03:32 AM
Well it's now 3:30am and I finally frogged back to where the sts are even.:sleepy: yeah, time to go to bed!:out:

suzeeq
05-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Good, starting again when you're fresh it should be easy to go on from there.

Jan in CA
05-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I have five sections right to left it's,23 sts,22sts,42sts,21sts and 22sts.

Look at your stitch counts.. on one side you have 1 more stitch each than on the other side. All you did was forget the increases on one side on one row.

If it wasn't obvious you could have just done one more row with increases only on that side and it probably would have been fine. I've been known to fudge things like this if it doesn't affect the outcome and I'm the only one who will really know.

How are you keeping track of your increases? I use pencil and paper like this:

1 inc
3 inc
5 inc

If the even rows are all purls with nothing else to be done I leave it blank. As I finish each row I cross it out. I've tried row counters and don't like them. I like a visual like this and I can write other info like stitch counts or whatever for reminders, too.

Nanaof6
05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I thought about it after I went to bed and thought I should have more sts on one the button side because of the yo , is that what your talking about Jan?

I haven't done what you suggested about writing it down like that,but I will now. So far I was going by ,there were no increase sts on the purl side so when I came to the knit sts I knew I had to do the increase sts on that side only.

I ended up frogging all the way back to within 4 ridges of the first button. Good thing I have till Dec to get tis tiny sweater done!

suzeeq
05-24-2009, 12:00 PM
You don't need more sts on one front because of the button or buttonhole.

Nanaof6
05-24-2009, 12:14 PM
:doh::doh:What was I thinking. This tiny project is turning out to be such a learning lesson in knitting:thumbsup:

lulubell
05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I am so impressed with your determination! Never again will you have so many problems with a top down pattern. Just think of this as a HUGE learning curve and I think you will probably scream at me through the computer, but I think it would be a good idea to make another one straight away when this one is finished. The next one will be enjoyable to knit!!

Nanaof6
05-24-2009, 10:13 PM
:passedout:make another one straight away:rofl: Lulubell you're funny!

But your right:thumbsup: I know I will get this one done and want to make another asap, while it's still fresh in the old brain and before I tip my head to far to the right and all of this great guidance you all have giving me falls out :X:

Nanaof6
05-26-2009, 02:00 AM
Well, I have re knitted from where I last frogged back to . Using Jan's advice I am writing down my increase rows and double checking my sts. Don't want to have to frog again.:pray:

It's now starting to look like the picture :woot:I did notice on one of the pictures that I saw that someone did the stitches on the seam a tad different. It shows the seam sts done on the RS in knit st. I really like the look of it. Next sweater!

Jan in CA
05-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Yes, there are many ways to do raglan seams. I'm making a sweater now that is using "sl 2 kwise, k1, p2sso" so the decreases are done together so there is no seam line. Interesting. :thumbsup:

Nanaof6
05-27-2009, 12:19 PM
co-worker asked me what does Raglan mean? I couldn't tell her because I didn't know .

Is it a form of knitting ? :shrug:

suzeeq
05-27-2009, 01:33 PM
A raglan is a type of seam that runs in a diagonal line from the underarm to the neck. A regular sleeve is 'set in' which means the sleeve has a cap and shaping to fit into an armhole. Look at your blouses and coats for an example.

Nanaof6
05-28-2009, 11:28 PM
suzeeq (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/member.php?u=13138), thanks for the explanation,it's so nice to know how to answer a question when asked.

I hate to say this but I am stuck on my pattern, again:???:

I have reach the End of raglan increases with 56sts on the back and 36 on the sleeves .

I have read the next instructions over and over and I just don't understand how to do it.

it reads;

Then divide off work by working across,binding off the "seam" stitches and putting the sleeves on stitch holders.

Do I divide the sts by putting them on other needles?

how do you bind off the "seam" sts? and still

Continue to work the front pieces and back pieces all in one?

Can someone make sense of this for me??

suzeeq
05-28-2009, 11:39 PM
You 'divide' the stitches by putting them on stitch holders or another needle. Divide just means separate them off. I wouldn't BO the seam sts, that makes no sense to me, and there's no need to do that. Just knit them, put the sleeve sts on a holder and kind of 'fold' them (this is why putting sleeve sts on another circular or scrap yarn is good) until the edges of them meet. Then the back sts will be right there to knit as the next set of sts.

Nanaof6
05-29-2009, 12:03 AM
can I divide them just by using markers? I have all my sts on circular needles right now.

Binding off the 2 seam sts didn't make any sense to me either, but that's what the pattern says to do.That's what confused me the most.

So you say keep knitting the seam sts?

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babysweragcard.htm

Do I continue doing the increase sts before and after the "seam" sts?

Jan in CA
05-29-2009, 01:11 AM
I've made several baby raglan sweaters and I've never heard of binding off the seam stitches. You can use stitch 'holders' if want, but they need to be removed from the rest of the sweater for now. I recommend using waste yarn as it's easier to do the rest of the sweater that way. You'll see what I mean.

Thread a yarn needle with some contrasting yarn first. I'd make it about 18" for safety. Then just knit across to the raglan seam and taking a needle slip it through the stitches to the other seam removing them from the knitting needles. Now join the front to the back. If it's a little loose don't worry about it now. Knit across the back to the other raglan seam and do the same things you just did, join and knit across the front.

Now you'll be knitting the bottom of the sweater. Continue with buttonholes as before.

Nanaof6
05-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Suzeeq said to just knit the seam sts.

Do I still do those increase sts ?

and will there be a huge gap as I by pass the sleeve sts?

suzeeq
05-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Do the increase stitches. Once you get the sleeve sts on some yarn, you'll see they will scrunch up so there's no gap between the front and back of the sweater. Do the increases, then push the first few back sts close to the left needle tip and knit them, making sure there's no gap between them. The sleeve sts fall out of the way and it's just like knitting a continuous row of sts. Don't over think it, just do, grasshopper.

Nanaof6
05-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Grasshopper :rofl:

Thank You Master's

suzeeq
05-29-2009, 10:36 AM
That's Sifu to you.... :D

Nanaof6
05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Ahhh...so sorry Sifu

I must be doing something wrong. If I continue with what I am doing I will have the Raglan seam running the length of the sides of the sweater . Is that right?

Did you mean to remove the markers that I had in place for the "seams" and continue by knitting all sts including the "seams"sts on what is my increase row?

I want you and Jan in CA to know that without your guidance with my sweater I would have probably givin up by now. You two are unbelievably the best! and I greatly appreciate your help.

suzeeq
05-29-2009, 12:15 PM
If I continue with what I am doing I will have the Raglan seam running the length of the sides of the sweater . Is that right?

No you won't. The raglan 'seam' stops when you stop the increases and separate off the sleeve stitches. The 'seam' stitches will be incorporated into the lower body of the sweater and won't look any different than the other stitches.

Jan in CA
05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
No, no..once the sleeve stitches are on the holders there will be no more increases. Just plain ol' stockinette.

The stitches may be loose at the underarm join, but that will be taken care of when do the sleeves.

Don't over think this... just do as I wrote before. If you want to do the increase first as Sue says that's fine, but I don't think you need to.

I found a page with some pictures. It's not exactly the same because they have you add some stitches under the arm, but you can see the sleeves on waste yarn.
http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/knitalong.html

Nanaof6
05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I found a page with some pictures. It's not exactly the same because they have you add some stitches under the arm, but you can see the sleeves on waste yarn.

OMG, Thank you ,what a helpful link.I get it.

Jan in CA
05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
OMG, Thank you ,what a helpful link.I get it.

Excellent! :thumbsup:

suzeeq
05-29-2009, 12:49 PM
I think the increases after you place the sleeve sts on a holder would take the place of cast on sts at the underarm. I sometimes do that, just inc a couple, one the front, one on the back.

Jan in CA
05-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Oh I see, that makes sense.

Nanaof6
06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
I have completed the body of my sweater and now am off to work the sleeves :woohoo:

It looks like the picture so far:yay:

Jan in CA
06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Yay!! :yay:

suzeeq
06-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Yipee yay! even....

Nanaof6
06-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I started my first sleeve and I got to thinking,ya I know I shouldn't do that. But could you do the sleeves on one circular needle and use the Magic Loop technique?

Just thought that it might be easier . What do my Sifu's think?

Nana,

suzeeq
06-03-2009, 11:19 PM
I do it. Or use 2 circs, or use the halfaloop variation of ML (only one loop, on the right side).

Jan in CA
06-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Sure. Use whatever method you prefer for knitting in the round. :thumbsup:

Nanaof6
06-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Super! I already started on DPN'S , should I frog it back and restart it on the magic loop ?

Or can I just pick up on the next round with the circulars?

Jan in CA
06-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Super! I already started on DPN'S , should I frog it back and restart it on the magic loop ?

Or can I just pick up on the next round with the circulars?

You can try it. If it looks fine and you're happy with it then that's good. If you find your gauge changes then you probably want to frog back.

Nanaof6
06-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Looks good, I just picked up sts with my circulars and ahhh.......it's so much easier now.:woot:

tguy1241
06-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Here's a link which helps explain raglan top-down knitting:
http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html
I also hunted for some individual diagrams of the pieces of a raglan but could't find any ...yet. Good luck.

Nanaof6
06-19-2009, 09:19 PM
:woot::woohoo::yay:!!!

And it looks just like the pattern picture too!

Thank you Jan and Suzeeq , because with out your help and guidance I would never have been able to do this. I am so proud of myself right now , I just can't believe I made this. I'll post a picture of the finished project as soon as I can.

Thank you so much!!!!:muah:

suzeeq
06-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Yay for you! We knew you could do it.

Jan in CA
06-20-2009, 11:34 AM
:yay: Yay! Can't wait to see it!

Nanaof6
06-20-2009, 01:05 PM
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6922/topdownraglanbabysweate.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/i/topdownraglanbabysweate.jpg/)

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/641/topdownraglanbabysweatei.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/i/topdownraglanbabysweatei.jpg/)

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6922/topdownraglanbabysweate.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/topdownraglanbabysweate.jpg/)

Are these ok for size?

Jan in CA
06-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Awww that came out so cute! You should be proud! :hug:

suzeeq
06-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Oh, very nice! I like the colors too.