PDA

View Full Version : We're gonna get a Great Dane - update with pics

vaknitter
05-22-2009, 10:09 AM
We passed the application process and will be getting a Great Dane from a rescue group !! We have a dog already so we have to wait for a boy to come into the rescue that they think will be a good match for our girl but I'm still excited. I've always wanted a big dog.

Sunshine's Mom
05-22-2009, 10:35 AM
That's so cool. I love Great Danes. I've never had one, but they seem like such gentle giants. I think you should name him Tiny. :teehee: Send pictures!

bailsmom
05-22-2009, 11:24 AM
:cheering: Congratulations!!! That is so wonderful!! We are big dog people too. I think they are fantastic and Great Danes are gentle giants. I hope a boy becomes available for you soon.

I vote for the name Moose. That's what a neighbor of ours said our German Shepherd, Duke looked like. :teehee: It was true too, he was a big beautiful boy.

HollyP
05-22-2009, 11:52 AM
:woot: Congratulations! I LOVE big dogs! My lab Bentley was best friends with a Great Dane named Rufus in his puppy training class. They were so cute together. They were the same age but Bentley could walk under Rufus he was so much taller!

JessicaR
05-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Congrats!!! :woohoo:

Jan in CA
05-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I do like big dogs, but I have a tiny dog yard. Our neighbor however has two Great Danes! :zombie: Congratulations!

Dimpledapple
05-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Congrats!! I couldn't help but smile and remember the first time I caught a glimpse of a Great Dane. I was six years old and thrilled that my neighbors across the street had gotten a pony :teehee:

mwhite
05-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Oh Wonderful! Love Great Danes and they are gentle giants. Hope you'll enjoy!

vaknitter
05-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Bailsmom - Moose is exactly what the hubby wants to name him ! I really can't name a dog until we have him and can see his personality. Originally he wanted to name it Dozer or Diesel.

The frustrating part is waiting for one to come into the rescue. The only males they have right now are not suitable to our lifestyle. We need a boy who wants a playmate and buddy.

catlvr
05-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Congrats!! Hope he will be a wonderful companion to you and your other furbaby. I have a pekingese, would love to see the two of them side by side LOL!! I've heard Great Danes make wonderful pets. Keep us informed, and PICTURES PLEASE!!!

gingerbread
05-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Oh my that brings back some great memories for me. I love Great Danes. We also had a boy my husband named him Perseus and he was a gentle giant. One story we had a cat and she had a litter. When she was giving birth Perseus laid over my sons bed and watch. When the kittens were old enough they would lay down between his front legs and sleep.

I know you will enjoy your Dane when he comes home to you.

bailsmom
05-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Bailsmom - Moose is exactly what the hubby wants to name him ! I really can't name a dog until we have him and can see his personality. Originally he wanted to name it Dozer or Diesel.

The frustrating part is waiting for one to come into the rescue. The only males they have right now are not suitable to our lifestyle. We need a boy who wants a playmate and buddy.

That is too funny! :teehee:

Jeremy
05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I have a friend who has two or three. The youngest is named Wilson. Wilson hangs out at the office. When he wants to take a nap he lays down on the couch with his legs sticking straight out. It looks like someone has laid a table on its side on the couch.

bjc1050
05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Congratulations. My daughter has two great danes that she got from great dane rescues. They are both gentle, but the female is more shy than the male. I love them both.
BTW, daughter lives in a townhouse with a small back yard, but she and her dh exercise them every day. Funny, we (dh and I) have a big back yard and have small dogs - the 4th which we adopted 2 weeks ago. I love dogs of all sizes. Each is special in its own way.
Good luck. Hope one becomes available for you soon.

vaknitter
05-31-2009, 09:50 AM
KH wouldn't let me add pics to my original post
This is Wilson - 14month old great dane. He is ALL puppy. Seems like he spent a lot more time outside than inside. He paces for awhile when he comes inside before he can settle down. His paces upsets our girl Daisy so for right now we've got baby gates and an xpen up. The pics were taken right after we got him (hence he is tied to a basketball hoop). I included a pic of him standing next to 6'5" hubby !
If you're not familiar with Danes he won't reach his full height for another 10months and full weight in about 20 months !

catlvr
05-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Where are the pics??? Can't see any!

vaknitter
05-31-2009, 09:52 AM
P.S. he came with the name Wilson so we decided to stick with that rather than train him to Moose. He was on owner turn in, leash, collar, food and all.

bailsmom
05-31-2009, 11:50 AM
:cheering: Congrats on the new addition! He's beautiful! And Wilson is a great name too. ;)

dustinac
05-31-2009, 11:58 AM
aww he is a cutie that is for sure. Congrats and love the name Wilson :yay:

Jan in CA
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Very cute! Funny that his name is the same as the friend's Dane that Jeremy mentioned. :teehee:

Arielluria
05-31-2009, 01:07 PM
That is SO awesome, thanks for adopting!!!!!!!!! I've heard Great Danes think they are lapdogs. LOL!:roflhard: Couldn't see your pics though.

auntcrafty
05-31-2009, 09:47 PM
He's a handsome guy!

I nannied for a great dane before -- interesting and confusing because she & I shared the same name. Interesting because she like to eat strange things -- bars of soap, plants, etc.

Arielluria
05-31-2009, 10:26 PM
P.S. he came with the name Wilson so we decided to stick with that rather than train him to Moose. He was on owner turn in, leash, collar, food and all.The name fits him well, and it's a very regal name, just like the dog.
:hug:

sabrinasmom
05-31-2009, 10:29 PM
He's Beautiful :heart:

Jan in CA
05-31-2009, 10:56 PM
I nannied for a great dane before -- interesting and confusing because she & I shared the same name.

Her name was auntcrafty? :teehee:

tokmom
06-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Beautiful! Do you know why the owner turned him in to a rescue?

Dimpledapple
06-01-2009, 12:45 AM
He's gorgeous! Congrats!!

auntcrafty
06-01-2009, 01:54 AM
Her name was auntcrafty? :teehee:

:teehee: Funny!

AH1OZ
06-01-2009, 03:44 AM
he is absolutely adorable

as a mom of a 100lbs rhodesian ridgeback, and a 10 lb chinese crested... i can honestly say, the bigger the dog the bigger the suck! get ready for lots of love

catlvr
06-01-2009, 09:16 AM
He is so cute!! You've got your hands full now (literally LOL) I think it's wonderful you and your husband opened your hearts and home to him. He will have a wonderful life, I'm sure of that. Good Luck!

Sunshine's Mom
06-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Oh, he's gorgeous! I like the name Wilson - it suits him.

vaknitter
06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
tokmom - We are told his owner turned him over to the rescue b/c of a poor family situation. She was young and possibly changed living arrangements a few times and then had someone come to live with her that would not allow him in the house so he was being made into an outdoor dog.
We had an eventful day yesterday and found out he needs a little more socialization when it comes to meeting people on the street etc. He and our girl Daisy can't stop playing so we have to seperate them with baby gates in the house. Hopefully as he settles in and they get used to each other the gates will come down and everyone will get along well.

bjc1050
06-03-2009, 04:49 PM
P.S. he came with the name Wilson so we decided to stick with that rather than train him to Moose. He was on owner turn in, leash, collar, food and all.
You could still call him Moose. We were just given a long haired chihuahua with an unknown name. She was a stray that couldn't be kept by the people who found her. She quickly learned the name we gave her.

If you don't want to change Wilson's name too suddenly, you could occasionally use "Moose" as a nickname. Our pomchi who came with a name already when we adopted him now responds to his nickname "Twinkie" or "Twinkie bear" as well as the name he came with.

cftwo
06-04-2009, 09:51 AM
That is a very handsome (and big!) puppy.

HollyP
06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Congratulations! He is beautiful!!!! I love his name too! Wilson does seem to suit him. Like BJC said Moose can always be a nickname. I have a million nicknames for my dog and he comes to almost all of them.

bjc1050
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Forgot to mention that I agree that Wilson is a great name for him.

BTW, one of my DD's great danes looks just like Wilson...same color, etc.