PDA

View Full Version : Couple of quick questions

pbs
05-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I am making a chenille baby blanket and am not sure about the size it should be. The lady at the store said she always made hers 30x30square or a little bigger, but all the dimensions on the ones on the internet are rectangular and range in size from 24x32 to 36x42. I'm using Tinkerbell yarn and it's real soft and lightweight, but I want to be able to snuggle up in it as he grows. I'm afraid if it's too big, it won't do well. Also what about the square size? Kinda makes sense, but I don't know.
Next question, do any of you use the GoKnit pouch for your yarn? I think I originally heard about it on this site. My question is, do you put your ball of yarn only in it and your stitched piece in something else, or is its purpose to be a project bag. I works much better than a Ziplock bag for yarn and I love it, but I'm just not sure where to put my blankie as it grows. Goofy question I know!!!!
It's raining in Alabama for the 3rd day and a great day for stitching, so I plan to spend my entire day working on this. Just needed a little clarification. Thanks so much for any help and/or advice you can give me about these issues.

suzeeq
05-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Just about any size blanket can be used somehow. They can be 24x24 to 36x36, rectangular, square or round. Most of the patterns I've seen on the internet are squarish. Smaller ones can be tucked around the baby in car seats or stroller, larger ones on the bed, or wrapped up in medium size ones. Just look around and make one that you like and don't worry about how the kid will use it. You can never tell which one is going to be their favorite anyway.

Jan in CA
05-24-2009, 11:14 AM
My favorite size for baby blankets was 36x36. I didn't like the rectangle ones because it made it harder to swaddle the baby.

suzeeq
05-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Yep, square ones are easier to wrap the baby in.

pbs
05-24-2009, 02:38 PM
You're both the best!!!!! Square it shall be--makes lots of sense. Can you tell I'm going to be a grandmother without ever being a mother, so I don't know these things. I was lucky enough to get a sweet step-daughter when she was 9, so I get to be a real grandmother cause I have been a part of her life so long. I'm actually more of a mom to her than her own is, but I haven't been around babies. I'm an only child--no nieces and nephews, and very few cousins, so I totally am in the dark about babies and what they need and needed your help on the size thing. Don't laugh but at age 57 I've never even changed a diaper!!!!! I have rocked a few babies, but when they started crying they went straight back to their mother. Wow, can you tell I have a lot to learn? Anyway, thanks a million for the advice.

suzeeq
05-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Don't laugh but at age 57 I've never even changed a diaper!!!!!

That's not a bad thing....!

losnana
05-24-2009, 04:46 PM
And being a grandmother is the best of all worlds!!! Every minute is enjoyable without a lot of the worries. Congratulations!!!

imrachel
05-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Congratulations! And one more vote for the square shape:thumbsup: .

pbs
05-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks everybody--I'm looking forward to it!!!!!

lulubell
05-24-2009, 09:33 PM
And being a grandmother is the best of all worlds!!! Every minute is enjoyable without a lot of the worries. Congratulations!!!

losnana, good to see you back. I've been wondering how you are.