PDA

View Full Version : Off The Topic: I am angry

Jakoh
05-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Dear ALL Knitting from the whole universe,
It just happens today 26 May 2009 at 8.05am SG time and it really makes me D***ANGRY, Agitated..... On my way to work at the train (MRT/MTR/Metro), i managed to get in to the train and there is this man in front holding on the bar with the plastic bag kept hitting my head. I ignored him.
I started to bring out my knitting to continue to knit a baby cardigan while standing and stuck myself to the door and suddenly this man told me off.......
Man: hey, do you know it is very dangerous with what you are doing it will hurt someone and accident will happen. Accident will only happen once if is going to happen.
I: I told him that I have been doing this for a long time and nothing happens.
Man: But accident does happen....
I: it will not.......
After the confrontation, the man walk away and i continued my knitting as I feel that in public transport is my personal time. If the train is really packed, I will not do it. Like him, the train already so pack and he is reading his newspapers and taking up more space than I do. Newspapers sometimes also quite inconvenient, as it will also landed up on someone's face and also it is dirty.....
After alighting the train, I am still angry; I should rebuked him, if i endanger your life you can press the Emergency Button and tell the driver to stop the train as a lady is knitting in front of you. Or either ask him to make a police report that a lady is knitting in front of you. Than I will ask the rest of the passengers whether they felt threaten by me when I am knitting.
Why are men now becoming a scary cat? Not a gentleman at all.......
We are working adults, in the train is also a time that we catch-up with our OTN.... we will not have so much time at home just to do our knitting.......
Do you all share my anger? Give me some suggestions to tackle this type of unreasonable people.
I am still angry.

blueygh2
05-25-2009, 09:17 PM
I understand you. Knitting needles are not dangerous, even if something DID happen, I doubt that someone would be injured.

But don't think about it too much. There are dumb people everywhere. Just let it go.

MrsWildchild
05-25-2009, 09:18 PM
We have a saying that says, "It takes all kinds..." meaning there are all kinds of people out there, and there's not much you can do about it! Sorry to hear you had a rotten ride.

MrsWildchild
05-25-2009, 09:20 PM
There are dumb people everywhere. Just let it go.

I basically said the same thing in the other identical thread to this one.

blueygh2
05-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Yep, seen it :D

But that's the way it is. I had bad encounters with people as well, but spending your time being mad at those people, that's just what they want. You're better off not thinking about it and concentrating on what you are doing.

GinnyG
05-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Pointy sticks, crowded train, standing room only........ I do not agree with his tactics (he could have moved to a different spot on the train) but, I guess I have to wonder at the safety of your endeavor.

I have been known to knit just about anywhere but don't believe I'd tackle that one unless I was sitting in a seat. There is much in this world to be angry about, a rude encounter on a train is pretty low on the list. I say let it go.

As an EMT I do know that the thing you never think WILL happen usually does.

GinnyG
05-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Perhaps one of the moderators could combine these duplicate posts. Doesn't need to be in two different places.

imrachel
05-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Oh boy, I understand how angry you are and that this guy was kind of obnoxious, and I don't want to fan the fire. But I also have to say that I have a scar in my thigh from about 8 years ago. I was going to work on the subway as usual, standing because my stop was coming up, and a woman was knitting in a seat right next to the doors. The train lurched at it went around a curve, as they do, and she slid on her seat and her needle went right into my leg, about an inch. Not to gross anyone out, but it required a really good tug to get it out. I am very, very nervous about people knitting on subways and buses. It really CAN be dangerous!

Jakoh
05-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Yes, i do admit that. That is why, i stuck myself to the door with my back leaning on it.... if the train is over crowded, i will not do it cos if you can get in, you are lucky.......
Sorry to hear about your accident, so far we had smooth train rides... But my experience tells me that if i wear high heels, my tendency of balancing no good than i will not knit unless i am comfortable and also a good spot, with handles or sitting down.
Unfortunately, i can't find seats.... there are several times, when passenger sees me knit, they will give up their seat for me... so sweet..... Hope they don;t give up their seat thinking i am pregnant...... :)

OffJumpsJack
05-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Was the reason because you were knitting on a crowed train?

or

Was the reason because you were leaning against the doors ... (so you could knit on the crowded train)?

ETA: I think leaning against the doors of the train was more dangerous than knitting on a train.

So long as the man stopped harassing you, then you can forget about him.

Dutch
05-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Not for nothin but I'm more concerned with someone driving a car while talking on their cell phone than I am about someone knitting on a train. Let it go and keep on knitting. Mr. Safety is probably the kind of guy that spends his weekends driving around drunk in a car that hasn't gone through inspection in about 7 years but oh my, knitting needles are dangerous!

Jakoh
05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I will knit when i have sufficient and comfortable space to move.
Normally, working days trains very full and i will give it amiss of knitting and once there are people alighting.... here comes my knitting.........
In Singapore, knitting is not a popular hobbies, probably is our weather. occasionally, you will see knitters or crocheters in the train knitting..... Once, crafters in the train, they start picking up their and start the ball rolling.
You know when you start knitting, it will become a conversation between two friends as they started asking whether which other hobbies and crafts.... then strangers will ask where you learn to knit and where to buy yarns and accessories....
or some will tell you they used to knit but due to busy schedules they have given up.....
There are several occasions, people do give up seats to me when they see knitting.... how comforting right?
Knitting is the only hobbies so far they occupied during the night (actually only one or one half hours from 9pm to 10pm.... then i go zzzz)

Crycket
05-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Ppl are really ignorant....

How many ppl never mind where they have their back packs on a train (I personally always take mine off and put it at my feet)

How many ppl don't give up a seat for the elderly or lame....or pregnant...

How many ppl play their headphones so loud that everyone two cars down can hear it?

How many ppl bring their smelly food, bicycles, screaming children, oversized strollers/groceries etc etc etc...

There are SO many ppl out there living in their own world and the only time they immerge from it, is when they see something as annoying to them. Go figure....

I have spent sooooooo many hours on subways. It really can be a pain...cause it would seem a minority actually try to be curtious.

I am very agoraphobic (fear of being crowded in by ppl) and I managed not to lash out at ppl. Just pop in an audio book in my iPod and off I went.

My point here is that the man who felt he needed to "save the world" from your pointy needles, is a knob....and needs to find a hobby of his own!

Knitting_Guy
05-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I would have stabbed him with a needle and told him it wasn't an accident, but hey, that's just me.

KnitWit1987
05-26-2009, 11:53 PM
I would have stabbed him with a needle and told him it wasn't an accident, but hey, that's just me.

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Debkcs
05-27-2009, 02:55 AM

Are you my long lost brother? That's exactly where I was going.

There are so many rude people who make comments like that just to be annoying.

However, let it go. When you get mad like that, it only hurts you, he's probably forgotten about it already.

Jakoh
06-02-2009, 03:22 AM
After the incident, i have not seem this guy in the train about the same timing.... i guess he must of change to a cabin, as i always at the same cabin....... the next day, and thereafter, i wanted to see if i see him...
I will still knit ...... as i am a cauious knitter, will definitely not knit if i don't even have space to move......

ArtLady1981
06-04-2009, 05:29 PM
In this day and age, I would say "Sorry, didn't mean to offend you."

Why?

Anyone with this much pent-up anger could be a loose cannon waiting to unload.

Better to forego your right to knit on the train that day...than to mouth off and get a fist in the face or a bullet between the eyes.

Same goes for driving on the freeways and expressways. Better to give an aggressive NUT the right-of-way than to insist on our right-of-way. He could be the guy that will shoot you.

You never know what's going on with angry people these days. Really.

Being 'yielding' with angry people is also better for your health.
(I mean for 'chance encounters' like this. With someone you must deal with on a day-to-day basis, obviously, something else has to be worked out)

Don't let people like this jerk ruin your day, raise your blood pressure, and make you feel badly for days. It is upsetting, but you can 'prepare' yourself for angry people like this.

Chalk him up as just another person on the NUT LIST and keep out of the way. Expect to meet about 1 per day!