PDA

View Full Version : Lace yarn - no lace patterns

amberof2
05-26-2009, 09:29 PM
What can I do with my lace weight yarn that doesn't involve lace or socks??? Should I try blending it with another yarn and do some scarves. I don't have the time or patience to do either lace work or socks with 3 precious little ones running around. :-)
Amber

Ingrid
05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Sure, you could team it up with a nice complementary yarn. Play with it and see what colors look best together.

blueygh2
05-27-2009, 06:51 AM
You could knit it on bigger needles, so you have an airier fabric.

Woodi
05-27-2009, 08:27 AM
I would make scarves with it, or a simple, rectangular shawl, maybe using bigger needles as suggested above. If it is too flimsy, pairing it with another yarn would be just great.

I am currently addicted to knitting the Yarn Harlot's scarf. I also did a scarf knitted longways, using a long circular needle. There are 4 dift yarns in this one. Not lacey, but will give you an idea. I like short scarves, but this could be made longer.

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/ScarfLengthwise.JPG

Let us know what you decide to do!

cftwo
05-27-2009, 08:31 AM
There are some simple lace scarves out there that you could try - I think the Airy Scarf in Last Minute Knitted Gifts is nice.

suzeeq
05-27-2009, 09:26 AM
You could even double it for a fingering weight and make baby sweaters.

amberof2
05-27-2009, 02:14 PM
I would make scarves with it, or a simple, rectangular shawl, maybe using bigger needles as suggested above. If it is too flimsy, pairing it with another yarn would be just great.

I am currently addicted to knitting the Yarn Harlot's scarf. I also did a scarf knitted longways, using a long circular needle. There are 4 dift yarns in this one. Not lacey, but will give you an idea. I like short scarves, but this could be made longer.

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/ScarfLengthwise.JPG

Let us know what you decide to do!
do you have a pattern for this?? It's beautiful!!

candicane
05-27-2009, 02:53 PM
I am using this laceweight on size 9 needles (single stranded) to make a large rectangular stole. It is knit in linen stitch which produces a firm fabric. Knit it on 9s and it is a soft flexible and pretty fabric. Linen stitch is a very easy stitch to do.

amberof2
05-27-2009, 03:06 PM
You could even double it for a fingering weight and make baby sweaters.

That's not a bad idea at all :-)

Woodi
05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Amberof2. It's just plain knitting, switching the yarns whenever I felt like it.

So: cast on to the length you want it to be, knit every row, switching yarns as you like. When I got to the middle, I made the other side symmetrical. That's it!

MMario
05-28-2009, 09:49 AM
YOu can get some great colour effects doing simple ribbed or knit/purl patterns using double stranded lace in different colours. you could keep one strand the same and change out the second, or use a solid with a varigated...

Or do one of the midless laces - such as the one that is (YO, k2tog, k2) repeat acrouss on EVERY ROW -

begin the row with a k3.

Make a great open lattic and looks good in stripes.

MoniDew
05-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I had the same dilemma recently, and performed a yarn marriage (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89308&highlight=Yarn+Marriages). I mated the laceweight yarn with a sport or dk weight yarn and the two married very nicely together! Check it out!

tgwillis
05-28-2009, 05:21 PM
I am using this laceweight on size 9 needles (single stranded) to make a large rectangular stole. It is knit in linen stitch which produces a firm fabric. Knit it on 9s and it is a soft flexible and pretty fabric. Linen stitch is a very easy stitch to do.

How many stitches did you cast on for this? It is very pretty. And I have some lace weight yarn that this might be just the thing for it.

blueygh2
05-28-2009, 05:50 PM
There are some easy lace patterns out there.
At first I wasn't comfortable with lace, but addicted.
Now I can knit lace no matter what, even when speaking to someone. It was just at first where I had to concentrate hard on the pattern.
After that, it became much easier. And somehow I'm addicted to lace. 4 out of 5 scarves/shawls I have on the needles are lace.

Janiegirl
05-30-2009, 11:43 PM
The spring issue of Interweave Knits has a shrug/cardigan pattern called Whisper that's done with lace weight yarn. The same author has another pattern on Ravelry called Featherweight Cardigan. I'm working on the Featherweight one now. It's really simple, just a top-down raglan done in all stockinette stitch on 4.5 mm needles. It's a very simple pattern, but it'll be the perfect sweater to throw on for chilly summer evenings.