PDA

View Full Version : wool/silk blend for diaper cover?

doodlemakers
05-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Hello,

After goofing and knitting my first two diaper covers with a merino wool superwash, I am ready to knit a third. I found am 85%merino15%silk blend that I love. Has anyone used that combination in a diaper cover before? (I am still going to try and lanolize the first two covers and get some use out of them...they're so cute)

Thanks
Amy in WV

Jan in CA
05-27-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm not sure how absorbent silk is, but it's a small amount... :think: If I find anything I'll post again.

AH1OZ
05-27-2009, 09:17 AM
i haven't used it... as i am allergic to wool, so i always use acrylic for my diaper covers...

i just wanted to say yay for cloth diapers!

suewoz
05-27-2009, 04:00 PM
I hat to ask a stupid question but what on earth is a diaper cover?

I had five children and have three grandchildren. I have never heard of a diaper cover.

AH1OZ
05-27-2009, 06:04 PM
I hat to ask a stupid question but what on earth is a diaper cover?

I had five children and have three grandchildren. I have never heard of a diaper cover.

a diaper cover would be used to help keep wetness in when using cloth diapers

amberof2
05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I've used a 80% wool, 20% soy blend and they stayed rather absorbant yet still dry if you kwim? It didn't seem that the wool was affected that much. I have to say though that I've never used the superwash... how does that work out for you?
Amber

suzeeq
05-27-2009, 08:51 PM
You may have heard of plastic pants...? Same thing.

doodlemakers
05-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I guess I forgot I wasn't posting to a cloth diapering crowd...FYI wool makes super diaper covers or soakers, as they are called to be used over prefold cloth diapers. Google it if you want more info..or email me. I love talking cloth:mrgreen:

This is my first superwash wool cover so I won't know how it works until I lanolize it and use them. But I've had other 100%wool covers that are wonderful!

I'll let you know how the superwash works and I think I'll go ahead and try the combination silk. Nothing ventured nothing gained:thumbsup:

Thanks,
Amy in WV

azcoup42
06-05-2009, 04:43 PM
When I make diaper covers, I like to use at least 60% wool yarn. Less wool means less absorbtion, great possiblity of leaks--but I really haven't had any problems. If you want to make a nighttime cover or if you have a heavy wetter, stick with 100% wool.

I"m not a fan of superwash wool for diaper covers. I like how the wool felts together/mats through normal usage. Maybe I've just used the wrong yarn?

HTH