PDA

View Full Version : socks or not

KnittyDiane
05-27-2009, 01:23 PM
HI I am loving knitting and am soon to finish my first sweater. it's coming out a little big, so what, I learned a lot. Anyway, it seems everywhere where I find people who are additcted to knitting as I seem to have become, love to knit socks. I was thinking of taking a sock class until I started using the double point needles for the sleeves of my sweater. I did not enjoy or feel relaxed using all those needles. It seemed as if they were always on the verge of falling off, or poking me in the eye. My question is, if I don't enjoy double points so much will I enjoy socks, or is the experience different when doing such a small project. I am so curious as to what all the hub bub is that I will probably do it some day. What are your experiences with the double pointed needles? I used them with hats and did'nt hate them as much. Thanks

Mike
05-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I love using DPNs.
You're only using 2 needles at a time.

The only problem I've had with losing stitches is one time I yoinked out the wrong needle.

You could always use a magic loop or 2 circular method if you hate them.

Sunshine's Mom
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
First, you don't HAVE to use dpns for socks. You can use 2 circs or magic loop. I've never used magic loop myself so I can't speak of the ease of it. But, I LOVE making socks and prefer dpns. A friend of mine won't try socks on dpns because she says it's like "wrestling with an octopus" (which I found to be a charming analogy). However, it's no different than trying anything else in the knitting world. What's the worst that could happen? It all falls off the needles and you start over.

I've just recently tried my hand at using 2 circs and doing toe up, which is interesting to say the least. Now that I've done them this way, I can honestly say that I prefer top down on dpns, but I have acquired a new skill and that's something. Now I don't have to shy away from patterns because they are toe up.

Just practice a little. And for a first-timer I'd suggest using wood or bamboo needles so that they grip the yarn a little more for you (you won't feel like the stitches are slipping off). It takes time, but they are a lot of fun. I hope you join in the sock madness! Besides, we're all here to help you if you need it.

vaknitter
05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
As you work more with DPN's I imagine you will get more comfortable with them. Depending on the guage of your sweater I would imagine you will be using smaller needles for the socks in which case I find the smaller needles to be more manageable. You can also learn to do socks on 2 circ's, or magic loop (just one long circ). I am addicted to socks and plan to learn toe-up two at a time this evening at my LYS.

Abbily
05-27-2009, 02:05 PM
I feel the exact same way about dpn's- as though they're always on the verge of poking me in the eye! :) I have knit several pairs of socks (and hats, sleeves, and currently a christmas stocking) using the magic loop method, and I love it! I always knit my socks 2-at-a-time on magic loop, and usually toe-up. No second sock syndrome, and if I make a mistake (design element!) on one sock, there's a good chance I'll do the same thing on the 2nd. :)

Chrysee
05-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I love DPNs! On aluminum ones my stitches would slip a little and I was always afraid the stitches would fall off (I don't have this problem on bamboo), so my solution when I first started was to put rubber point protectors (I have a ton) on every point but the needles I was currently working on and then move them around was I went. Really takes away the anxiety over dropping stitches, and you can't poke yourself in the eye!