PDA

View Full Version : please help me understand these instructions

blessedtosew
05-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Last night I began crocheting Baby's Summer Dress & Hat (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/cassies-summer-outfit.html) On Row 3 of the dress, it says:

ROW 3: 2 sc in first st *working behind ch sp 3sc in each sc across to last sc, 2 sc in last st, ch 1 turn

What does it mean when it says "working behind ch sp" ? I don't know how to work behind. Can someone help? Thanks.

melmac51
05-28-2009, 11:48 AM
I believe it means to crochet in the back loop of the previous row. (If you look at your completed Row 2, it looks like a little braid or chain. The back loop (if you're looking at it from above) is the loop furthest from you. Crochet in those loops all the way across. This makes your piece have a little ridge on it.

OffJumpsJack
05-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Row 2 works a three stitch collection (sc, ch 2, hdc) into every other stitch.

Row 3 works 3 sc in each sc (skipping the ch2, which is held to the front, and skip the hdc).

I don't think it means to work in the back loops of the previous row.

So rows 3 and 5 are increase rows and are repeated as 7 and 9.

Row 11 is the arm hole row so ... this is a top down design and rows 1 through 10 form the collar or yoke.

Does that help?

blessedtosew
05-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Offjumpsjack, that helps so much. That is clear. Thank you.
melmac51, thank you also. I thought your interpretation was what it meant to begin with, but now that I reread it, I think offjumpsjack hit the nail on the head. Why do these instructions have to be so confusing? That is why I am so thankful for sites like this one with such helpful people.

OffJumpsJack
05-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Offjumpsjack, that helps so much. That is clear. Thank you.
melmac51, thank you also. I thought your interpretation was what it meant to begin with, but now that I reread it, I think offjumpsjack hit the nail on the head. Why do these instructions have to be so confusing? That is why I am so thankful for sites like this one with such helpful people.

Thank you, blessedtosew. I'm glad my post was helpful. :)

I think the reason the instructions are sometimes confusing is because they are using words to paint a picture. It is a bit like telling someone how to build a Lego Star Wars model by only using descriptions of the blocks. For example...

Now, take 3 SC blocks and connect them to the SC block in the row below, skip the next sc block in the row below and then repeat.

:think:
If you know what all the blocks look like you can guess at what they might look like when put together. But most of us have to wait and see what they look like after we put them together and see if it matches the picture we were given. If they match then we put them together correctly. Otherwise :doh: we FROG and try again until we learn what the instructions really meant. :woot:

Wisdom is the ability to recognize a mistake when we make it again, erm, before we make it again? Well it was something like that. ;)