PDA

View Full Version : public information

mathwizard
06-03-2009, 03:48 PM
I just found out there is a lot of information out there on the internet you might want private. If you want to know what then google your email address and see what you find. Some of the information is linked directly to this group. I didn't expect it would be there until some one told me to google my email address.

KnitClickChick
06-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Hmmm. I got no results. Well, I guess that's good!

TrikkeAddict
06-03-2009, 04:59 PM
no results for mine either!!!

cindycactus
06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
no results for mine either.

mathwizard
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I wasn't so lucky. It has information I put in my profile which is now deleted about me which I didn't think was public and a direct link to this group!!!

imrachel
06-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Me neither. . .hmmmm. . .

GinnyG
06-04-2009, 08:12 AM
I googled my email address and got one reply, it was a post I made looking for a book in which I gave my email address.

I've had the same email address for about 15 years so that's lot of "use" but nothing came up on google.

Lisa R.
06-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Just as a point of curiosity...if you google your e-mail address, does it somehow get in "the system" with Google? I mean would you be taking a pretty private e-mail address like GinnyG's and putting it out there for spambots, etc.? Or are the searches not really an issue?

Mike
06-05-2009, 04:01 AM
With as many searches they get and as few that are email addresses I doubt if they are farming search terms for addresses.

No hits for any of mine because I don't post them or make them public.

Another fun thing is to search your forum name(s) and see what you come up with.

GinnyG
06-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Good for me, I guess; I googled my forum name and there a LOTS of GinnyG's out there. Didn't find anything that was "me".

Googling names is an interesting thing. Not long ago I googled my Mother's name. I was actually looking for an online copy of her obituary from years ago because there was some information I wanted. I found a link that took me to a scanned copy of the marriage register from a small town in SC where she and my Dad were married in 1946. It was actually kinda cool but also kinda freaky the things you find on the internet.

mathwizard
06-05-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't know how my information got linked to the group but I didn't like it. I am a private person and I have gotten spammed recently . People trying to get information for scamming. A friend got more information about me that I didn't like was out there. It isn't just for spamming but identity fraud would hit anyone hard.

Sunshine's Mom
06-05-2009, 09:30 AM
That was interesting. "Sunshine's Mom" took me directly to the link here. E-mail address took me to my high school's alumni site where my email address is listed. That's it though, so I guess it's okay.

OffJumpsJack
06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't know how my information got linked to the group but I didn't like it. I am a private person and I have gotten spammed recently . People trying to get information for scamming. A friend got more information about me that I didn't like was out there. It isn't just for spamming but identity fraud would hit anyone hard.

There are many wild and scary things out there on the Internet. I find KH a calm Oasis in the Internet Jungle. But I'm also a bit paranoid about what I post on any public, Internet connected site. KH is viewable to any Internet visitor and they may not be able to post, but they still can read what has been posted.

That is why I cherish that KH doesn't limit edit time. I can remove something if I find I've said to much. In time the edit will update the caches that the search engines keep. Always best to be careful.

I wanted to ask for clarification, Did your search find something in your private messages or in your public profile?

cacunn
06-05-2009, 01:11 PM
as OffJumpsJack implies I assume that anything I write on an internet board, or is in any internet profile is available to most if not all who have access to the internet. The skills to get at this information is not hard to acquire if you are really interested and those that we don't want to have access are most likely to have those skills.

Just be careful what you post.

WandaT
06-06-2009, 07:27 AM
I just googled my name and all kinds of things came up - but then I have been on quite a few design teams for stamping and scrapbooking in the past. That was mainly the links that showed. I googled my email addy and nothing came up thank goodness. :)

knittingymnast
06-06-2009, 05:52 PM
I think that knittingymnast is a preeeeetty unique name. I'm surprised. I got a few hits....umm, maybe about 4 or 5. Knittingymnast is nothing fancy, but i don't know a lot of knitters that happen to be gymnasts or vice versa. :thumbsup:

I found a lot of gymnastics results/scores for my first name and last name, though. That's not my fault.

Thanks for the heads up.