PDA

View Full Version : Needle Gauges DON'T Agree!!!! :o[

Arielluria
06-03-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm swatching trying to get gauge, but my needle gauge rulers don't agree!!!!!!!! What am I supposed to believe?

I have measured what I think is a #5 DPN on 2 needle gauges.

1) metal Susan Bates Knit-Chek which tells me it's a 4

2) a plastic Lion Brand one tells me it's a 5

So how can I know which is right????????????????:wall:

P.S.: I also measured an 8 and 11 needles on both and both come out the same, definitely 8 and 11 respectively on both gauges!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knitasha
06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
You're right, needle gauges do not agree with each other.
Not only that, needles of "same" size from different companies often have different diameters.

Bottom line is not to worry too much about the number on the needle: it's the gauge that YOU get with it that counts. If your gauge swatch is giving you the right number of stitches per inch, it makes no difference whether the needle is called a three, a six or a chopstick.

hartleystudio
06-03-2009, 09:27 PM
You are also going to have different gauges on needles made of different materials. I knit looser on plastic and tighter on metal.

imrachel
06-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I trust this one, although it's more expensive: http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Tools-Sheep_Needle_Stitch_Gauge-1143.html

Arielluria
06-04-2009, 08:44 AM
I found the Lion Brand one to the be more accurate, so I'm getting rid of the others!

suzeeq
06-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I have a Ballen plastic gauge made by Lion (or maybe boye, whoever makes the Ballene needles) and it seems to be pretty accurate. It also has US, UK and metric sizes on it, so is good for cross reference.

OffJumpsJack
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
A drill bit gauge, it is a plastic or steel card with holes of various, labeled sizes.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51pLhNdPPmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I use this to check the size of a drill bit before I drill. It's just too hard to see the size stamped on the bit. My gauge also has metric sizes on it so I figure I can also check needle size.

imrachel
06-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Fabulous idea, Jack! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!:muah: