PDA

View Full Version : Husband work rant

hartleystudio
06-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm so mad about this I could just SPIT!!

About 6 weeks ago I put my husband's work cell phone through the wash. Totally my fault, I forgot to look in his pocket and didn't tell him I was washing his jacket. It was completely ruined. DH went to work and told them and they said they would get him a new one. That was 6 weeks ago and still no cell phone! Now, they are calling him on his personal cell phone and we went over our minutes by $80!!!! I have asked him if I can buy another one to replace it, I have offered to call the office and talk to them myself, but DH says that they are super disorganized and that it won't do any good and it may get him laid off. (He's a plumber and very lucky to have a job at all in our town)

It's making me NUTS, him frustrated and we are bickering about it all the time! GRRRRRRR!!!!! I called Verizon and upped our minutes so we can't possibly go over now but that's $20 more a month and we are on a SUPER tight budget! I'm pinching pennies everywhere possible and $20 is a lot right now. AND I have an extra $80 to pull out of nowhere for this month!!!

What can I do besides pray and hope that God gets him a new cell phone???

Ahhhhh, that feels better, thanks! :muah:

newamy
06-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Itemize your bill and send all work related charges to the company. Maybe then they will get him a new phone!

I understand about being worried about the job situation. My husband lost his job in January.

hartleystudio
06-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Believe me, I would totally do that but I don't want him to get laid off. If they got mad at him and fired him I would feel horrible. I think I secretly feel like my husband isn't doing something right with this situation. I feel like if I could handle it I could fix it. Trouble with that,..every time something like this happens I barge right in and try to control the situation and end up making it worse. My husband is intelligent and great with people so if he can't get a phone out of it, then I doubt there is a phone to be had. Maybe if they do lay him off, he can work for a better company!!!

Hahaha!

Abbily
06-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I hate to say it, but in this economy... I think you're just going to have to find a way to eat the extra cost yourself. If it was the company's fault the phone got broken, I think you could expect them to replace it. Since it wasn't their fault... I don't think I'd make a big stink about it. I understand your frustration, though!

Becky Morgan
06-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Sometimes--not always, but sometimes--cell phone companies are so eager to get people to upgrade that if you call his work cell provider, on your own, explain the situation and ask what to do, they might either replace the phone (for all you know, they had replacement insurance!) or allow you to upgrade the phone for him. The cell companies do NOT want to lose any customers right now--it's hard to cancel service when you want to!--and they'll probably do something to help. Make sure you tell them that the office isn't helping and you don't want them to find out if they don't have to. Everybody understands "could get laid off" these days.

hartleystudio
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
DH just called and said he nagged them yet again and they said "it's in the works". I guess that's good, right? They probably have replacement insurance on it and they are waiting for the new one. I DID take him a month to get a charger for his last phone, they aren't the most motivated or organized bunch.

Now lets hope Verizon lets me go DOWN in minutes when this is all over!!!

MoniDew
06-04-2009, 03:45 PM
it's quite possible the phone was insured. check to see if you can get a replacement that way!

OffJumpsJack
06-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm so mad about this I could just SPIT!!

About 6 weeks ago I put my husband's work cell phone through the wash. Totally my fault, I forgot to look in his pocket and didn't tell him I was washing his jacket. It was completely ruined.

Not so fast! That phone may not be completely dead. I might just be mostly dead.

First dry off the outside and remove the battery pack. Then place the phone in a bag of dry, uncooked rice. The rice will absorb the moisture that may be causing it to short out.

Or

Have you bought any electronics and have those little packets that say "do not eat" on them? Those packets are desiccants, they absorb water and a few in with the phone in a bag will help dry it out.

It could take a week or so to completely dry out the phone. Then put the battery pack back in and see if it works. The battery pack may need to be recharged.

Crossed Fingers

hartleystudio
06-04-2009, 08:13 PM
First dry off the outside and remove the battery pack. Then place the phone in a bag of dry, uncooked rice. The rice will absorb the moisture that may be causing it to short out.

Thanks, we did that, this happened about 6 weeks ago. I think what I did wrong is turning it on when it was still wet. It shorted out the system. It was ALL dead. Hahaha! Love the Princess Bride reference though!!