PDA

View Full Version : BING!

ArtLady1981
06-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I certainly do like the latest search engine launched by Microsoft recently.

BING (http://www.bing.com/)

It has several likeable features besides being a good search engine.

It has the list of results in the middle, with a two to three line snippet describing the page. But when you hover the cursor to the right of any result, you get a surprise: a pop-up box where you can read a longer excerpt from the page - without having to actually click and go to the site.

I love this feature! So often I can't really get an idea of what's on a site and whether it will be useful to me from the two line description so I click through to a lot of sites that end up being useless. But now they're in my history, cluttering it up and making it harder to find something I'm looking for there. With the Bing preview, I click through to far fewer sites. And if I'm looking for a quick bit of information (such as an address or phone number of a restaurant) I'm likely to find it in the preview box and not have to go to the company's site and hunt for it there.

The first thing you're likely to do when you use a new search engine is set your preferences. To do so in Bing, you click the Extras down arrow at the top right and choose Preferences. Some of the settings echo those of Google: you can specify strict, moderate or no filtering, number of results per page, and language for both display of the engine and pages to search. You can also identify your location (city and state or zip code) and the search engine will find results that are relevant to your area.

I set my preferences to show 30 'results' so that I don't have to click to pages 2, 3, 4, etc.

The HOMEPAGE is fun! The 'daily photo' is always a beauty! If you hover your cursor around inside the photo, little boxes tell you what you are looking at, interesting features, and you can click through! A nice 'travel log'!

Anyway, I use Firefox, and I went on over to Firefox and added BING's official page as a search engine up in my dropdown box of search engines.

I have been increasingly irritated with Google. Sometimes I think Google is having a nervous breakdown. It is becoming cluttered with many useless 'findings'. Maybe it has so much information to spew forth, it no longer knows how to 'discriminate'. It seems to PURGE everything remotedly related and that leaves me to sort through the vomit of information and links.

BING presents a clean, clear rendering of results.

knitasha
06-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to try it -- now I will.

ArtLady1981
06-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I've using it all day, and I really like the clean appearance, and besides that, the good results!

auburnchick
06-05-2009, 09:09 PM
What a cool site! Thanks for sharing!!

ArtLady1981
06-05-2009, 09:55 PM
You're welcome! I especially love the TRAVEL LOG on the HOMEPAGE, which changes daily! Be sure and move your cursor over the Daily Photo! Little transparent boxes appear, and each will display some FACTOIDS when you put your cursor over it...and you can click through for additional information! It is so way cool! I love it!

BTW, you can arrow over to the Daily Photos you've missed in days gone past!

ArtLady1981
06-06-2009, 02:36 AM
Another great BING feature: MAPS. You can get street view, aerial view, birds eye view, and 3-D view! To get 3-D you need to download the 3-D software. EZ.

I have already saved a collection of locations. Cool feature!

Lighting57
06-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Can you post a link to BINGS web location?
Can anyone use it, or does it work with the new Vista only?

Jan in CA
06-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Can you post a link to BINGS web location?
Can anyone use it, or does it work with the new Vista only?

It was in the first post.
http://www.bing.com/

I think anyone can use it, but try it and see if it works for you.

cindycactus
06-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I have Windows Live Search on my Menu Bar and Bing just appears when I search. I was happy to see that my Mcafee Site advisor works with Bing.