PDA

View Full Version : Calluses anyone?

JudiToots
06-06-2009, 06:07 PM
This week, I purchased my first pair of circular needles. (Boy, it takes a while for them to soften.) Anyway, I have discovered that I now have a callus on my right index finger. I'm not sure if it is from the circular needles or the tension from the needles or just the way that I am knitting this hat.

I've had calluses from playing guitar but never from knitting. Is this normal? :??

suzeeq
06-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't think I do. Maybe you're holding them too tight.

TrikkeAddict
06-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I have calluses on the tips of both index fingers!!! I think from pushing the stitch off each needle.

knittingymnast
06-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I have calluses on the tips of both index fingers!!! I think from pushing the stitch off each needle.

I think that might be the case. Judi, which method do you use to knit, continental or english? I've noticed myself move my left index finger to the top of the needle to push the needle down, for some reason. Next time you knit on your circulars, watch yourself knit. Are you doing anything different than when you knit on straight needles? If so, than see what you are doing different and try to adapt your circular knitting to how you knit flat. It worked for me! (Hope this helps! :muah:)

Ingrid
06-06-2009, 07:23 PM
I have calluses from knitting. Let's see, on my right index tip and my left thumb, mostly. I also have one on the top of my right index finger from where I keep the yarn.

TooCircular
06-07-2009, 03:04 PM
My right index finger tip was hurting and in pretty bad shape until I discovered these:
http://business-and-office-products.become.com/acco-swingline-rubber-fingertips--compare-prices--c207217713

They've been a real life saver and now I never knit without wearing one. I cut a smidgen off of the tip so just a wee bit of my finger shows. Beware though, they come in different sizes. If you're interested, would recommend just going to your local office supply store so you can try on different sizes, then buy the box there. You might be able to purchase one box that contains an assortment of sizes as well. They really are great.

Jan

GinnyG
06-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I have calluses on both my index fingers. Recently I have had a worse problem. I've been knitting like crazy on a fair isle sweater with my options in size 4, the points are VERY sharp. The only thing I don't like about my options are that the points can actually pierce your finger. Once that happens you are in a world of hurt.

Well it happened and I had a hole in my R ndex finger. So I brought a finger cot home from work and actually it's not too bad to knit with!

FreeSpirit
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
This week, I purchased my first pair of circular needles. (Boy, it takes a while for them to soften.) Anyway, I have discovered that I now have a callus on my right index finger. I'm not sure if it is from the circular needles or the tension from the needles or just the way that I am knitting this hat.

I've had calluses from playing guitar but never from knitting. Is this normal? :??

It doesn't sound normal. I use the Addi's bought at the local yarn shop (LYS). A bit more pricey but worth it.

Likesyarn2
06-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I am fairly new to knitting and use circs, i have a callus on the outer edge of my right thumb. Am sure its the way I hold my needles. Oh Well, I am getting the job done.:roflhard:

LadyFirelyght
06-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I have a small callus on my right pinky, which is the primary finger I use to move the needle. Strange, but true!